Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2023, 11:15 AM   #1
Miles Duncan

Exterior hatch leaking water

After being away for a few weeks we came to camp and I have water damage inside the back hatch for the outdoor kitchen. How is water getting in through hatch seal. In thinking about calling all the way around the inside of the seal to make it seal tighter? Any ideas or experience with something similar is appreciated. 2015 34bhpr
Miles Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Duncan View Post
After being away for a few weeks we came to camp and I have water damage inside the back hatch for the outdoor kitchen. How is water getting in through hatch seal. In thinking about calling all the way around the inside of the seal to make it seal tighter? Any ideas or experience with something similar is appreciated. 2015 34bhpr
You didn't share any info on your trailer so it's difficult to guess as we don't know the size or location of the "hatch". Don't cualk the perimeter of the door seal unless you never intend to open it agai you don't say where the water is inside either. That would be some useful information as well.

To test the door seal, start in one corner and close the door with a dollar bell between the gasket and the door. Then try pulling the dollar bill out. If it pulls out easily with little or no resistance then there's an issue.

Last thought, when was the last time you inspected the roof? Cracked or missing sealant on the perimeter where the roof attaches to the sides can result in water intrusion.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
Miles Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You didn't share any info on your trailer so it's difficult to guess as we don't know the size or location of the "hatch". Don't cualk the perimeter of the door seal unless you never intend to open it agai you don't say where the water is inside either. That would be some useful information as well.

To test the door seal, start in one corner and close the door with a dollar bell between the gasket and the door. Then try pulling the dollar bill out. If it pulls out easily with little or no resistance then there's an issue.

Last thought, when was the last time you inspected the roof? Cracked or missing sealant on the perimeter where the roof attaches to the sides can result in water intrusion.

It's a 2015 keystone premier 34bhpr leak is coming in through the outdoor kitchen. The wood under the sink "bottom right" is where the damage is. Swelling and it's even visibly wet. I will try the dollar bill test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16995661793645003577638684906973.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	45655  
Miles Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
bobbecky

Might also check that window for the leak.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

That forward bottom seal looks like it's compromised and the door frame looks like it's separated there. The pic gets blurry when zoomed in but it looks to me like someone smeared a bunch of silicon on the sides of that seal. I'd remove and clean up the seal and adjacent area and see what there first. Replace the door seal in that frame and go from there. Like I stated, a bit blurry when zoomed in but it looks to me like that water garage has been going on for a while.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 02:59 AM   #6
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I can't really see from the pic but does your metal frame for that door have screws on the bottom to hold it in place? Mine leaked enough through those screws to do major damage. Keystone replaced half of my floor under warranty but didn't solve the leak issue I fixed the leak myself by removing those screws and siliconing the holes then reinstalling the screws with rubber backed metal washers. Water will collect/sit on that bottom frame and find it's way...really bad design as is the sponge like flooring material they used in my 2018 Cougar. It could be the roof as mentioned...I've also had water penetration via that screwed on trim where the roof membrane ends...I've seen cracks here and there all along that trim and have siliconed that as well. Could be that window too I guess...I'm assuming you had a good look at the plumbing under the sink?
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #7
tallen

I am not sure of all your details either, but on my Cougar my cargo door was leaking. It took me a week to find it. IT ended up being the screws that hold the hinge stopper in. Water would make its way into that hinge on top of the compartment door, then down to the bottom of the opening where there was a slight split in the rubber seal, it would pool enough to make it over to some other screws that let the water in. I also had it flow over the lip, but that was due to not having my camper level.

Good luck and find it fast. That cheap wood blows up fast.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water