Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 05:25 AM   #1
Woodsie

Basic Needs

I am scheduled to pick up my 2024 Hideout 28RKD in late October / early November. What are the most basic items I should get beforehand? There is an RV show very close to me in early February where I can probably get much of the less necessary items at discounted prices, so I'm just looking to see what the basics are that I can price shop from the interwebs.
Woodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:42 AM   #2
Lee

Hi,

To start with, do you have a quality sway control hitch?

Next would be an EMS. Electrical Management System.

If you dry camp and use a generator. Get a quality invertor Gen set and then an Air Conditioner Soft Start module for the A/C.

This is a start, I'm sure others will chime in.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
Woodsie

I'm having the dealer install an E2 Trunnion weight distribution hitch. The trailer is coming with a 50amp system and a 200Watt solar. The first few camping trips will most likely be at campgrounds with full hook ups until I can get a feel for the trailer itself. I'll look into those as well. Thank you.
Woodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
Canonman

There are several youtube videos on this subject. Here are a couple. Josh's vid is a little different since he looks at what not to buy.
Good luck and Happy Camping
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
peanut

[QUOTE=Woodsie;547683What are the most basic items I should get beforehand? There is an RV show very close to me in early February where I can probably get much of the less necessary items at discounted prices, so I'm just looking to see what the basics are that I can price shop from the interwebs.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Lee. An EMS should be one of the first things. With the amount of computerization and electronics on new units I consider it essential.

If you decide to get one and decide on a portable unit, I have this one for sale. It has never been used. I bought it with the new fiver but after getting home I decided to go to the trouble of installing a hardwired unit instead. I tired to return it but the dealer wouldn't take it back because I had already thrown away the box.

$135 - I'll pay shipping.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #6
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I agree with Lee. An EMS should be one of the first things. With the amount of computerization and electronics on new units I consider it essential.

If you decide to get one and decide on a portable unit, I have this one for sale. It has never been used. I bought it with the new fiver but after getting home I decided to go to the trouble of installing a hardwired unit instead. I tired to return it but the dealer wouldn't take it back because I had already thrown away the box.

$135 - I'll pay shipping.

Wow, that is a great price!
If I didn't already have the same one, I would take you up on that offer.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:51 AM   #7
Don77

I tell everyone buying an RV that the first camping trip is a weekend in your driveway and to check that everyting works as they should. Water pump, City water, Electrical and Battery sistems.
If there is a with something not working and you can not stay in the RV its a short walk to the house, not a spoiled weekend traveling!
Just my 2c.

Don