Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Steve S

septic systems

Hi, I want to hook up to a septic system that's 100 feet away and was wondering if it's possible. Also there's a lift pump 20 feet away that shoots off everything to the field and I was wondering if I could just hook in to that?
I was told that I can't send solids through it.
Any ideas or ways that I can do this?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hi, I want to hook up to a septic system that's 100 feet away and was wondering if it's possible. Also there's a lift pump 20 feet away that shoots off everything to the field and I was wondering if I could just hook in to that?
Get a macerator pump that hooks to the sewer dump connection and dump to the septic tank via a hose. Don't dump to the pump and the field. Our fresh water supplies are polluted enough. Use the septic system.
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
x96mnn

It depends on the lift station if it can handle solids or not. One designed after the septic tank will not work but one placed before should have no issue. Your issue may be the lift station driving sewer back through your system if you install it after the lift.

As for a 100 feet away, as the saying hoes **** flows down hill. Your main issue will be providing the grade to keep the flow going down hill. Most long runs have ups and downs which would need to be dug out to make it work but is possible.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Steve S

I'm pretty sure that the lift pump can't handle solids as it handles the water run off from the sewer.
Can a maccerater pump into the lift pump or should I run a hundred feet of solid pipe to the sewer?
I just want to do this the right way without any problems down the road.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
x96mnn

The difference is a lift after the septic tank is not getting solids. When everything hits the tank the solids drop to the bottom pushing liquid waste up. This is what a lift is designed to handle that would have been installed to transfer the liquified waste out to the bed for perk.

If you install and dump your waste into a spot that's after the septic tank but before the septic bed it's not going to work. Will only work if your connecting before the septic tank.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Steve S

OK thank you looks like I have to rent a trencher now.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Get a macerator pump that hooks to the sewer dump connection and dump to the septic tank via a hose. Don't dump to the pump and the field.

Our fresh water supplies are polluted enough. Use the septic system.
Steve-

Why would you even consider hooking into a system that "shoots everything off into a field" ? I am assuming that you are talking about a farm that spreads manure by means of a pump/sprinkler system? Were you considering hooking into this and combining your human sewage/crap with this manure? The farmer comes along and plants crops (corn or whatever) and we eat this stuff after you have piped in your own human waste??

Why not just drive your RV to a dump station and get rid of it properly? Or are you living it full-time and looking to get rid of it without having to move your RV?

Perhaps I am jumping to all the wrong conclusions here but please enlighten us as to what your plans are in disposing of your black tank waste in an acceptable and legal manner so that our environment isn't being contaminated with human waste from your RV.

I'm sure if you checked with our BC Provincial Health authorities, they would be able to provide you with information as to what you can or cannot do in your situation.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
davidjsimons

Festus, I believe he is talking about the drain field to the septic tank not an open field. At least I hope I'm right.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

David -

I hope he is not contemplating combining his sewage with the manure that is being spread on the field. His initial post did ask "if he could hook into that".

In any case, I would guess that a person just can't tie into someone's septic tank sewage system without getting approval from the local health and building inspectors to do so and to ensure that the system can handle any additional sewage coming into it.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
x96mnn

My assumption was the septic field, which is the common term in my area as the engineered septic bed that takes the liquid waste and filters it through sand and rock into the ground..
Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Festus, I believe he is talking about the drain field to the septic tank not an open field. At least I hope I'm right.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
Yes you are exactly right
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
BobnLee

Septic

You might want to check with your local Health Unit there. I know for a fact that you cannot hook into a septic in Ontario unless it is first inspected by the Health Unit and approvals are given and permits are issued.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
The difference is a lift after the septic tank is not getting solids. When everything hits the tank the solids drop to the bottom pushing liquid waste up. This is what a lift is designed to handle that would have been installed to transfer the liquified waste out to the bed for perk.

If you install and dump your waste into a spot that's after the septic tank but before the septic bed it's not going to work. Will only work if your connecting before the septic tank.
X2 on this post.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Jim & DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Sorry to say "I have a septic system" (no county system in this area) and a septic drain field that percolates into the so called drain field, four feet below the ground level. I won't even try to grow corn or whatever in that area.

Please Steve S. give us more information, like you were "not talking" of actually spraying the black tank contents into a "Field".
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post

Please Steve S. give us more information, like you were "not talking" of actually spraying the black tank contents into a "Field".
No I'm planning to dump the black straight in to the field, I thought that it could go directly in to the lift pump but I was wrong as pointed out above.
My plan now is to dig a 100 ft trench and run it straight to the sewer tank.
That or has anyone dug a hole and put in their own tank? Does anyone have a setup that they sell to do this?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve, If you have a cleanout spout on your septic tank, you can buy a macerator pump that is designed to attach to the 3" dump on your RV. Most macerator pumps will chop up the contents of the black tank fine enough to push them through a garden hose and into the cleanout spout. Most of them will pump waste through that garden hose for about 100 ft. If you dump that way and then follow the black tank with gray tanks, there "shouldn't be too much "odorus waste" left in the hose.

Even then, I'd recommend having dedicated hoses that only get used for dumping.

If you do it that way, you shouldn't disrupt your septic system's operation. Dumping 40 gallons or so into the septic tank isn't much more than dumping a couple of bath tubs full of water and since the waste is macerated, it should break down in the septic tank rather quickly. As you've indicated, you don't intend to dump into the field lines or at a point past the tank. That's the correct way to dump, into the tank (just as the house dumps into the tank) so you get benefit of settling, liquid rise to the field lines and no "solids" entering past the brush filter installed at the tank outlet to the field lines.

Sometimes you can find a used macerator kit on Craigs list rather cheaply, but full price, they're about $250. That would be much cheaper than modifying a septic system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Steve S

Thanks John that info helped out lots
Having it flow a 100 ft was my concern but I now can understand how a macerator and dumping both tanks would help with the long flow.
Having both tanks on the same line makes sense as the grey water that is pretty much constant will keep things flowing.
I'm also thinking about a compost toilet, I'll post a thread about it.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
michol02

I use my RV as a man cave at home, and I have a Flojet macerator pump that attaches to 3/4" schedule 20 PVC pipe (via a short, clear, flexible hose). It runs 106 feet with 3 "long 90 degree" turns in it and ties into a sewer line off of my shop. At one point it goes uphill slightly. I use it often, and have only had one problem. Someone put a Lysol wipe in the toilet, and it twisted up in the macerator blades. I got it out, but it was a "stinky" job. Other than that, it chops up the waste and toilet paper well, and it pumps out a 3/4 full tank(28 gal) in a couple of minutes.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Steve S

That sounds exactly like what I have to do.
How much of a slope do you have on the pipe?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
michol02

There's little to no slope, and near the end, it slopes up to tie into the sewer line. There's no need to have a slope, because the macerator pump pressures it out. I hook up a water hose to the pump to clear the line after black water is finished.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	4422

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote