Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Dodgeone1

Question Shocks for Laredo 296re

Is there a way to install shocks on the Keystone Laredo 296re? I bounce down the highway? Please help!
Dodgeone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Dodgeone1........... It might help our members to better answer your question if we knew what kind of a tow vehicle you are using to pull your Laredo and some information about your hitch and hitch set up. Can you provide us with these details? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Dodgeone1

Sorry, I am pulling the Rv with a 2007 dodge Ram 1500 hemi. The camper is a 2010 Travel trailer. When I drive on asphalt pavement the ride is OK, but when I hit concrete highways all we do is bounce down the road. I have added heavier duty shocks to the truck, and am now thinking about adding leaf spring helpers. Others have told me that the camper need shocks, but I do not have shocks on the camper?? I have been told that the camper is causing the bounce? Any help will be appreciated. Timm & Bonnie
Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Dodgeone1

I am also using the equalizer 4 point 10K hitch if this helps?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Concrete freeways along with the expansion joints which are a part of them, will always result in a bouncier/bumpier ride than on asphalt. The bounce usually becomes more pronounced when you are in the far right "truck" lane. The RV transfers this bounce to the truck and by the time it gets there, it is magnified. I pull a 28 ft 5th and, at times, the ride up front is quite lumpy (almost feels like there is a flat tire) when on some concrete freeways. Don't have shocks on the 5th, airbags or spring helpers on the truck.
Others will chime in with their comments about shocks, airbags and other mods you can do which might help improve the ride. I don't think you can eliminate all of this bouncing caused by much of the concrete freeway construction, especially the ones that were built many years ago.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
KanTC

Welcome to the forum Jimm & Bonnie,

The Laredo has an Equa-Flex suspension system (not shocks), which helps cushion most of the typical road bumps, etc. As for concrete highways... ditto what Festus said... although adding shocks on the trailer may help a little, I suspect that you'll still 'feel' the expansion joints while towing. As an added note - our Laredo doesn't have existing brackets to add shocks, but the newer/larger models may have.

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
Dodgeone1

Thankyou. I really appreciate your help.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Sometimes it's just a matter of harmonics .... speed, wheel-base, length of trailer, length of concrete slab and so on. Try slowing down or speeding up about 5mph since that is the only variable you can change. There is a stretch of I95 S. in S.Carolina that will make you wish you hadn't had lunch in Dillon. As mentioned above try a different lane if possible. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
deadeye

You can get a retrofit kit from Monroe shocks for your trailer. Check out Shockwarehouse online.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote