Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
jerseyphil

Miss my Cougar-in storage for winter

I recently bought my Cougar 318SAB, put it on my driveway to test it out.
I love it, but it is too cold here in the northeast now.
I winterized it and put it in storage.

Can't wait for Spring, 2011!!
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
byrdr1

Hate to hear that. I am lucky I can park mine in my driveway right next to the house. I plan to pink stuff the water lines Saturday. Once I remove all the stuff in my basement so I can get to the pump. Running a little heat right now. I at least can see it everyday as I go to work and come home and I can pop my head into it to look around.. I hate it for those that have to store off site from your home.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
jerseyphil

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply.
I would love to keep mine at my house.
I even have room for it on the side of the house, but the DW doesn't want it at the house, unless we build a garage for it. And..... her idea of a garage is one that looks like it is part of the house - same siding. Big Bucks!!
Oh well, I guess our Cougar will just have to stay off-site.

Phil
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
HigginsPod

We understand the feelings. Ours sits next to the garage with the wheels & hitch covered. The inside all cleaned (and gathering dust)--- ready for spring. I am glad I can see it BUT ............ it's like a tease.......... because our first reservation is April Fools Day. I am making all of our reservations early!!!! Building a fire in the portable fire pit and trying different things in the Dutch Oven. Don't want our Pod to sit empty for the next 17 weeks from today ) yes I am counting til the first outing next year. It will be our second year.......... I plan on learning what I can over the winter like having it professionaly winterized, covering the hitch, dutch oven cooking, carrying thing for scooters, furniture, and the list goes on and on
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
kenn209

We're trying to camp all winter, Spen Thanksgiving with a group of friends at a local state park. Stayed pretty warm and keep big fires going.... Might be trying to camp during New Years... Trying to get a Mid WInter Rally organized here in Va. We'll see....
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Ruffus

Talking Come on Guys

Have'nt any of you guys other than kenn209 ever heard of winter camping? We use to do it as Boy Scouts, in the snow just had to build a bigger fire. These rigs have really good heaters and there are several electric heaters out there that will heat the interior up with out a problem. Some of the best camping is done in the winter, clear nights, less neighbors, hungry wildlife and I laugh when I watch my wife make snow angels like a child does. Hot drinks and warm food, and your Beer won't get hot. Go Camping
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
jol

Same deal here get it late in the year took it to Stockton lake once now in storage but did have the refrigerator recall taken care of, one thing I can check on it daily even though it is storage as I can see it from the road on the way to work...eek work, kind of a tease like close to house but not. Looking maybe going to Arkansas park in January meeting with wifes sister and her husband, they just bought a Casista that all they've done is towed it home and haven't used it yet.
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
and your Beer won't get hot. Go Camping
OK! Now you have my attention!!!! My Cougar doesn't go anywhere until the end of March, but being stored in the backyard with electric and cable hook-ups. (Yes ... cable) It's a great place to watch football games, tinker with different mods, enjoy a second cup of Saturday morning coffee and check out the Keystone forum on the lap-top. ...... Yes .... Life is good and the fridge stays stocked and on all year ..... I think I'll change that light over the dinette that I keep hitting my head on ....... hummm, what else can I do???? Make the best of it ... it's a big investment for just a few weekends a year. .... I'll bet it would look cool outlined in LED Christmas lights. (I know ... sometimes I scare myself) JM2˘, or maybe 3˘ this time, Hank .... I realy have to start drinking less coffee.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigginsPod View Post
We understand the feelings. Ours sits next to the garage with the wheels & hitch covered. The inside all cleaned (and gathering dust)--- ready for spring. I am glad I can see it BUT ............ it's like a tease.......... because our first reservation is April Fools Day. I am making all of our reservations early!!!! Building a fire in the portable fire pit and trying different things in the Dutch Oven. Don't want our Pod to sit empty for the next 17 weeks from today ) yes I am counting til the first outing next year. It will be our second year.......... I plan on learning what I can over the winter like having it professionaly winterized, covering the hitch, dutch oven cooking, carrying thing for scooters, furniture, and the list goes on and on
We used to have a popup and camped New Years day..just needed the electricity as the furnace I know furnace in a tent would kill the 12v battery in about 4 hours but still had a great time.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Ruffus

Smile Still using it!

Well, at least your using it. Sounds like fun to me, no one to bother you and plenty of beer, just watch out for that light above the dinnette,
Fulltimng.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
kenn209

I don't know about camping in the snow, but there's always a first!! lol Looking at maybe a New Years trip with some friends or maybe the week after Chirstmas when were sitting around the house staring at each other. Although I did drain all the lines today and the water heater. No pink stuff yet.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
byrdr1

Quote:
Have'nt any of you guys other than kenn209 ever heard of winter camping? We use to do it as Boy Scouts, in the snow just had to build a bigger fire. These rigs have really good heaters and there are several electric heaters out there that will heat the interior up with out a problem. Some of the best camping is done in the winter, clear nights, less neighbors, hungry wildlife and I laugh when I watch my wife make snow angels like a child does. Hot drinks and warm food, and your Beer won't get hot. Go Camping
Out of vacation days until 2011.. Holidays throws everything into a tail-spin.
Oh you can bet I will camp before Easter/spring break(1st planned trip) from school this year. Thats the other thing still have a 15 year old at home so school gets in our way also. 2 out of the house one more with 2&1/2 years of high school left. My oldest tells me I aint your babysitter. But she has been good. She allowed mama and & me to go the beach Thanksgiving for 4 days before she came down with youngest.
I also have mine with power and cable TV wired(sewer hookups 2) to it but still emptied it out for teh winter months. Iw as in it yesterday with laptop and watched some football. but it was a little chilly in it.randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
camper 2010

We are still camping full time and will be spending the winter on the Outer Banks of NC. (27 when I got up today) It is to have lows of 18 latter this week. Winter camping is enjoyable.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
antiqfreq

Well here comes my 2 cents worth - we are living in our RV in middle Georgia and when I woke up today it was 19 degrees.
We won't be getting our house until probably February or so!
Supposed to get 'flurries' this afternoon.
The Polar Package - yeah, right- isn't worth a toot! We are running the furnace and when it is not on we have 2 ceramic heaters on continuously.
It was 54 degrees in the living room when I woke up this morning, now it is up to a whoppping 65 degrees.........bbrr.......
We'll survive though we don't mind camping in the cold weather, just gotta get up and pile those layers on! ha ha ha
At least we got full hook ups at our property. We unhook the hose every day when it gets dark.
Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Ruffus

Exclamation Good Heater

Hey Jo
The ceramic heaters aren't worth a dime compared to the Broan 6201 portable heater. It has two heat settings and a fan setting. They are kind of hard to find but well worth the money (around $65). I bought one after seeing it at a RV dealer in Sebastian FL. I found mine in Grover Beach CA and you won't beleve the heat it puts out. When the temp dropped to 19 degrees three weeks ago my 38 foot 5ver was still at 68 degrees when we got up. The dealer that I bought it from heats his entire show room with one. It was developed for eletricians working in the field. Oh yeh thay are very, very quiet too. 6 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches.
Jim
Fulltimng.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
jerseyphil

Quote:
Hey Jo
The ceramic heaters aren't worth a dime compared to the Broan 6201 portable heater. It has two heat settings and a fan setting. They are kind of hard to find but well worth the money (around $65). I bought one after seeing it at a RV dealer in Sebastian FL. I found mine in Grover Beach CA and you won't beleve the heat it puts out. When the temp dropped to 19 degrees three weeks ago my 38 foot 5ver was still at 68 degrees when we got up. The dealer that I bought it from heats his entire show room with one. It was developed for eletricians working in the field. Oh yeh thay are very, very quiet too. 6 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches.
Jim
Jim,
Thanks for the recommendation on space heaters. I just ordered the Broan 6201 from AZ Partsmaster. Price was $49.89. No Tax. Shipping was $10.66for a total of $60.55. Amazon wanted $51.17 plus $22.89 for shipping for a total of $74.16. AND, the supplier was AZ Partsmaster. Saved several $'s going directly to AZ.

thanks again,
Phil
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Ruffus

Thumbs up You'll be happy

Phil
Glad you you saved a couple dollars but you'll love this heater.
Jim
Fulltimng.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
Outbackmel

Broan Heater

I have a tower type ceramic heater and it heats the 5er somewhat adequately, almost Did the research and am going to order one of these cube style Broans for 2 reasons: 1. extra heat when needed and 2. it will store very easily when traveling due to it's smaller dimensions. This was another GREAT TIP BASED UPON RV USER EXPERIENCE.
Thanks
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
kenn209

We haven't had too many issues with our tower heater, seems to work well, We use the furnace when it gets really cold. Also have another vornado? type heater we just bought, not too impressed with it... Anyway don't need any in the bedroom, with the 2 dogs up in there and 2 adults stays plenty warm. Haven't been out below 30 degrees yet. Hope for a short winter!!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
K&Gs3400RL

When we had our House we had ours parked next to it. Even tho we had it winterized with the pink stuff, we still slept in it on weekends to get away from the dogs. For some reason They dident understand we dident need to get up at 4 am to go to work.

Our New 3400RL 9/17/11

K and G's 3400 RL
2004 Ram 3500
And 5 dogs, Dusty, Sassy, Jasmine, MoJo and Scooter
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote