Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Leatherman

TV Cabling Wiring Diagram? No digital Signal.

Hello All,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with my TV not having any HD Digital reception on my television via the roof antenna.

2018 Bullet Premier 24RKPR w/single TV

It worked when I did the PDI. I have not used it since and went to use it and I can not get any digital stations during the scan.

The TV is set correctly to Antenna IN while searching
The Push button switch to allocate power to the antenna is on (I get a green light)
While scanning I am not getting any stations

I removed the switch that has the light on it. I checked and there are three cables connecting to a switch (PCB). One is grey, black and white. All are connected and appear to be connected OK as are the power cables. All connections are tight and it apparently has power as the light comes on when the button is pressed.

How do can I check that the antenna is still connected on it's end? Is there a way to remove it from the roof and check? The antenna is still there (I know I saw a post where their antenna was missing). My antenna does not rotate, it's a fixed omni directional unit.

Thanks
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would first make sure that there is OTA TV reception capability where you're parked. Most RV antenna systems are "adequate" but not "great" at reception, so if you're in a fringe area, you may not get any signal. If you think you might have a signal, try another TV from the house, see if that works. If it does, it's the TV, if it doesn't, then start looking for loose connections.

Logically (I know, I know) if it worked during the PDI, it should work now. I'm guessing it's more an issue with "switchology" than with "mechanical problems".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
Leatherman

There is reception where I live. I can get the Baltimore stations just fine OTA.

I think I found what is probably the issue. I was cleaning the roof and noticed that the round HD antenna seems VERY loose and is moving around freely. I looked and there is no damage to indicate it was hit, its just very loose. It appears as though it would spin around if I grabbed it. It was getting ready to rain so I did not get up on the roof.

Does anyone know how the antenna mounts to the pole? I could not see any set screw.

Tx
Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on the brand. Can you post a pic? most likely there are 3 or 4 Philips head screws underneath the "saucer" if its that type. The base will most likely have robertshead #2 screws holding it down but you'll have to peel the dicor away to get to them.

If it worked at the PDI, odds are it works but placement on the roof can cause reception issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Leatherman

Sorry for the late reply.

I just got around to removing the Winegard Roadstar antenna from the trailer. As the CSR indicated from Winegard, I had to tear it up to get it off the pedestal on the roof of the trailer. I had to place a couple of 2x4s on the roof and pry up the antenna. After some struggling, it came off (with the end all chewed up from my prypar).

The antenna was just spinning around on the roof. The way these are designed is they are supposed to stay put in one spot and not spin around. The spinning action twisted the cable connected between the feed from the trailer to the feed on the antenna to the point where it disconnected. Fortunately, It did not damage the connector on the feed side. I was able to reconnected the cable and retest. It now works perfectly pulling in multiple HD OTA Channels (as it did when first purchased). I replaced the antenna on the shaft and put some black gorilla tape on the bottom to hold it into position until I got a hold of Winegard again.

I emailed Winegard and sent them a copy of the trailer invoice. They were great. They immediately shipped me a replacement Roadstar antenna to replace the broken unit. It's been very hot here so I am going to wait for cooler weather to replace the bad unit. The old one works it's just that it's held on by gorilla tape.

So, kudos to Winegard for the replacement antenna (5 year warranty) for a 2.5 year old trailer.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
Leatherman

Resolution

Sorry, I thought I had posted a resolution to this earlier.

I contacted Winegard and they immediately sent out a replacement antenna which works perfectly.

Thanks Winegard.

Tags
wiring, wiring diagram