Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
D-Cubed

First big trip with TT, Going to Oregon

I am looking for a little input on our trip. So I will give you a little information

We are are first time RV owners and this is my first summer pulling a trailer of any type. We plan on getting up early on day one and make a long haul 12 hours to get across the boarder and crashing in a mall parking lot north of Everett(are you allowed to do that in the states). then get up early and make it to Bend and camp there for a two days.

Then hit crater lake, then either hit the top of california for the red wood forests or go straight over to the coast and head back up the coast. All of this in 14 days. we don't know our schedule so we haven't booked any camp sites. are we going to run into a lot of problems with finding places to camp.

Also some must see locations would be helpful suggestions. We plan on hitting one winery so a good one for that as well
Thank You
D-Cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Walmart will almost always let you stay in their parking lots. Try to stay on the perimeter of the lot so as not to occupy too many parking stalls and you should leave your TV hitched up to your TT while parked.
If you are planning on staying at any of the State parks along the coast and don't have a reservation, you are probably not going to find a spot. They are very popular and you would need a reservation in nearly all of them that are located along the ocean. Always have a Plan "B" in case you find yourself looking for a place to stay for the night. Whenever possible, try phoning ahead to inquire about vacancies.
I'd try to research as many possible campgrounds along your proposed route before leaving and book into any that look promising. Try this site to get an idea of what others have said about the campground: www.campgroundreviews.com

It's also a good idea to be aware of what you can and cannot bring across the border into the US -- especially food items. We have found the best and easiest way is to not bring any fruits or vegetables across at all and purchase them when you get into the US. Most meats are ok but it would be worthwhile to phone ahead to the customs people to double check. The rules often change so what was okay last month may not be okay this month.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
KanTC

Festus gave you excellent info & advice, but there's one thing I will add ---

Over-night stays in parking lots (WalMart, malls, etc) has been banned in 'some' cities & towns across the U.S.
Some still allow it, and others don't, depending on their current local ordinances. I'd hate for you to drive 12 hrs,
only to be told to "leave" the parking lot... so, it might be best (if you still have time) to email the Chamber of
Commerce in Everett. Yes, it's always best to have a *Plan B* & especially when traveling without reservations.

Here's one (prohibited WalMart parking) list, and there may be others: http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts

We've found that sometimes the 'much smaller', more rural, communities will allow over-night parking at their city parks...
some are free, and some charge as little as $5.00 for electricity (only). Check these websites for some ideas --

http://www.freecampsites.net WA http://www.freecampsites.net/attribute/states/wa

http://www.freecampgrounds.com

I agree with Festus -- given that it's the height of summer travel season, you'll likely find that Campgrounds & RV Parks
near popular tourist attractions, are 'full'. Reservations are typically booked weeks/months in advance, but (obviously)
cancellations 'do' occur, so check for availability. Also be aware that some State & National Parks only do 'online'
reservations now, and their websites should give specifics.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
geo

I'm surprised Festus2 didn't mention this ... Leave any type of rice: white, brown, wild, etc., at home unless it is in a sealed, unopened bag. Even at that, leave the rice. You can get a fresh bag at Walmart when you stop. Oh, don't bring any of those chocolate eggs that have toys inside! Maybe just leave the chocolate home too.

Festus2 and Terri are spot on about the campgrounds and lots. Do try to make reservations and check if you can boondock in the parking lot.

If you have a gasser TV, you cannot pump your own gas in Oregon except at Crater Lake. If you have diesel, some places will pump and others you pump. Take a lot of mosquito repellent to Crater Lake. Either that or a few extra pints of your blood type. There are some campgrounds with hook-ups south of Crater Lake (Annie Springs) if you want.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
D-Cubed

Thank you for all the information. I have been giving the rvparksreview website a workout. We decided after reading your responses that we are going to try and get a few reservations before we go. I have already booked a site at cannon beach for our second and third days across the boarder. Looks like a good place to explore with our dog in tow.

I am looking at maybe staying at westport in the first day after crossing the boarder, Has any one been there or is there somewhere better near by.

We have checked out the us customs website and it is extensive, so we have basically decided to not bring much at all and buy once over the boarder, even our dog food.

I have to admit that one of the reasons we decided to go south down the coast was because it was brought to my attention that you don't have to cross traffic to get to the seaside viewing spots
Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

We've been to Ocean City and Ocean City SP as well as a couple of SP's around Westport. OUr visit there was quite some time ago and I can't give you much in the way of helpful information. Not sure of your route but if you are heading to Cannon Beach and going south via I5, Millersylavania SP is worth an overnight stop. This SP is not on the ocean however.
Cannon Beach is popular but as I mentioned earlier, it will be crowded as will the SP 's from here on down. Most of the SP campgrounds are on the oceanside but there are a few where the campground is located on the other side of the highway. Those that are usually have a short walk to beach through a tunnel beneath the highway.
If you are taking a pooch, make sure you have up-to-date records of immunization shots handy should they ask.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Jim&Kelly

Westport Washington or westport Oregon?
Bela the std poodle
Yoda the Siamese cat
2008 HD heritage softail anniversary edition
Kawasaki teryx side-by-side Atv
Jim&Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
D-Cubed

Westport Washington