Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
donsantell

Winter Storage of 5er

Last year i stored our new Alpine 3501rl in a 45’ storage shed that was quite expensive. This year I am looking to do something different. Store in a field at the campground we use uncovered or covered. I met someone at the campground who bought a cover for his 41’ 5th wheel and stored it outside with the cover on it. It gets cold up here in the Adirondacks, like 10 - 15 below 0 F. Is there something I should be aware of or shouldn’t do if I decide to cover my unit and leave it outside?
donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

There are a lot of downsides to storing an RV "out in the open". They age much quicker because they are exposed to so much. A cover may/may not benefit you and sometimes causes far more problems than the help they provide from what I've seen/read.

The cost of an enclosed, insulated, secured storage facility is part of the equation for us. It IS expensive but I have 360 days a year to access it, no concerns about weather if I want to work on it, rain/hail/UV rays are irrelevant along with loose covers, marred finish etc. (plus installation/removal). Others have different opinions I'm sure, but if you have access to an enclosed facility and can utilize it....I would, but that's JMO/YMMV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There are a lot of downsides to storing an RV "out in the open". They age much quicker because they are exposed to so much. A cover may/may not benefit you and sometimes causes far more problems than the help they provide from what I've seen/read.

I live on the north side of the Adirondacks. Enclosed storage has never been an option for me. My 89 fifth wheel has been stored uncovered at my cabin near Saranac Lake for 19 years and has suffered no detectable damage as a result. The biggest threats are hail, as previously mentioned, tree limbs (shouldn't be a problem in an open field), mice, and snow load. A walkable roof will carry a heavier snow load without damage. You want the trailer as out of level as possible hitch to bumper with the bumper being the low end to aid runoff. A north/south axis is ideal with the bumper pointed to the south.

When I brought my new 2015 camper back to store at the dealer the first winter I asked for a recommendation on a cover. His answer was "none". Knowing he was losing a sale it surprised me. He pointed out that none of the units on his lot were covered in the winter, even the high end motor homes. As Sourdough suggested, he feels they do more damage than good, especially in open areas that can be windy.

Side note: I recently bought a cover for my truck to keep the pine pitch of it. The sewn on label warms not to leave the cover on for more than two weeks without removing it to clean it. It is also right here so I can quickly remove it if it is windy.

My dealer also pointed out that UV exposure at this latitude is minimal in the winter, which is one of the main reasons for using a cover: https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/sun-sa...erage-uv-index

Leave NOTHING edible in the camper and put any potential bedding in plastic bins. Do EVERYTHING you can to mouse proof your trailer. I even taped the edges of the coroplast with aluminum tape and, knock on wood, haven't had a problem. Pay special attention to the wheel wells and any penetrations into the underbelly. Silicone caulk works well for holes that are too small for spray foam.

If you have covers on your roof vents leave the vents open to avoid moisture buildup inside. Leave cabinet doors open to get as much circulation as possible.

I do have my roof inspected when it is put into storage and in the spring when it is taken out.

I would also recommend a hitch lock if it is stored in the open, especially if there is no video surveillance (one of the advantages of storing at the dealer).

One final thought, check with your insurance company to find out if where it is stored affects the premium and so the correct storage location is on record. My insurance company always asks when I add a new trailer to my policy. In the event there is a problem you don't want a claim denied because it was not stored in the place of record.

JMHO/YMMV

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #4
Roscommon48

Just keep outside if it is a cost issue. we have never covered our rv or kept it in cover. Covering a rv is a waste of cot and energy.

the only thing you need to do is make sure nothing will freeze....water pipes and cans of food.

as for an rv 'aging quicker' that is how rvs are. they lose they value quickly and just age like everything else.

we pay $15 a month outside and we like that.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We’ve never used a cover on any of our RV’s, even living in Northern New England. The one year we stored it under cover in an open pole barn on our property, we had a lot of mice. Before and after that one year, our RV’s have always been out in the open, with no cover, and no mouse issues. We have a new trailer at a new house in a new state this year and we intend to do the same.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
donsantell

Thanks everyone for your opinions and information. I think we will scratch the cover idea. I did like the idea of having the 5th wheeler in a storage shed. If I can find one less expensive than last year I will do that, otherwise outside uncovered.
donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter