Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
KSH

2019 Keystone RV Springdale 300FWBH

Anyone have opinions on these? I have a springdale now. 2015 TT, no real issues.

Thinking of upgrading for a little more room. I don't know what to look for in regards to 5th wheels. Floor plan looks great. Price at $24k looks amazing.

https://www.moderntrailer.com/produc...#getLowestPric
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
travelin texans

First thing to consider is due you have enough tow vehicle? At just over 10k a 1/2 ton pickup will be marginal at best.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
KSH

I do. I'm looking for opinions and info on the trailer..
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Your RAM 2500 diesel should have no trouble towing the Springdale you're considering. The 300FWBH has a GVW of 10350 and an empty pin weight of 1555. Since it's a bunk house model, I'd suspect that you'll have "back seat passengers" as well as you and your DW. That means increased payload weight before adding the trailer and hitch to your RAM. Typically the pin weight is around 20-25% of trailer weight. Imagining 2 children and their toys, you'll be approaching or exceeding your RAM's payload.

Otherwise, the truck will have NO problems "pulling" that model Springdale.

As for the actual trailer, Springdale is a "great entry level fifth wheel trailer". It has a "hybrid construction" with aluminum bonded walls, but a "spruce floor structure". You'll notice that the 2x3 Spruce floor joists will creak and may sag with heavy weight while walking in the main cabin.

We enjoyed our Springdale, never had any problems with it, and would probably still have it had it not been for a "pesky tree" that fell on it, destroying the roof. The only reason we don't have it is that "tree incident"... Otherwise, it was problem free and performed as expected.

I'd say, if the "weight numbers are right" and the floorplan fits your family's needs, then it's a good choice at an affordable price point. Springdale "gives" you a lot of extras for not a lot of extra cost.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
KSH

Thanks, glad to hear you were happy with it. I found this one in CA but it's used. Salesman said they bought it from another local dealer that was closing. he said it was never sold and has never been titled , but it just made me feel a little uncomfortable I'm not sure if that's warranted or not
there is one picture of the pass-through that looks like there's some water damage staining .

https://discoverrv.net/inventory/fif...63d76e271d1e2/

I wish I was local so I could just go down and take a look at it.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with you, it does look like there has been some water/moisture in the passthrough, but whether it's damage or just soiled ??? Hard to tell.

If you have access to the VIN, you can send that to Keystone in an email (from their website) and they should be able to give you a quick response on the remaining warranty and whether there is any charge to transfer to you. My guess is that the warranty started as soon as the trailer left "a Keystone authorized dealership" and was transferred to a "non-Keystone dealer". That probably means (just my guess) that there is no factory warranty, even if it was never titled, it wasn't "in possession of a Keystone entity".... Only Keystone can give you a "yes/no" so I'd suggest you ask them BEFORE any serious negotiations on a price. You can use the lack of warranty as a bargaining chip to get a better price in lieu of any "factory support"....

Good luck and let us know how things are going !!!!!

ADDED: The VIN is listed on the link you posted, so if it's correct you should be able to get the warranty info from Keystone via an email contact at their website.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #7
KSH

Thanks. I'll look into that warranty question asap. Very helpful point.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Listing says used.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
KSH

Yes. Used. Dealer just said he couldn't sell it as new since he isn't a keystone dealer. But he said it was bought from another dealer that closed down and it was and is new and not used.
I did call Keystone and they indicated that since he is selling it used there would be no warranty. I guess that isn't really great.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #10
travelin texans

There's the biggest thing when buying, "the dealer said"!!!!
They are concerned with 1 thing only, selling....
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

In my thinking, which may be flawed, the lack of warranty will be a major factor. Either it's bad, if a "major issue" (read mank thousands of dollars) arises it's on you, so roll of the dice there. Or it could be good, as in getting a deep discount on the purchase price.
Some considerations on a "New/Used" purchase. First, if you're financing it how much will it cost? Used purchases usually hold higher interest rates than new due to the risk factor mentioned above. Secondly check with you insurance on cost of coverage and replacement value.
. I don't want to rain on your parade but there's a lot to consider. First you're looking at a trailer 3/4 of the continent away. Pictures ALWAYS make it look better then it really is, especially if it's wet or under certain lighting conditions. Most salesman will lead you to believe or outright lie to get your money. One of the worst decisions anyone can make is to get your money together, travel thousands of miles to learn it's "not what's been advertised". You're standing there having spent the time and money to get there and all "pumped up" about getting it so you're more inclined to think "I'm already this far into it I may as well go through with it". The salesman will be well aware of your vulnerability and use it against you. I would also investigate the laws in both purchasing and residing states regarding consumer laws/responsibility if things go sideways.
Also do yourself a favor and listen closely to advice given concerning your tow vehicle. Nothing could be more disappointing and possibly dangerous the being a couple of thousand miles from home and realizing the truck isn't up to the task.
. I wish you all the success and happiness in finding what you're looking for.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
KSH

I talked to the sales guy that has the used listing for sale , he wanted to sell me an aftermarket warranty for $2,500 . Clearly not worth it , so the used one is definitely out. I don't mind traveling for a good deal.

anyone else have opinions on 5th wheels from Springdale?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Be careful about traveling for a “good deal”, if you buy from a dealer far away, the one close probably won’t do any warranty work on it. Labor rates and time allowed for the repair are set by the factory, so lots of dealerships don’t bother.

A keystone dealer 10 miles from you is under NO obligation to service the unit you drove 100 miles to get and save a few thousand dollars.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
KSH

I know. I appreciate the reminder. Negotiating with a few camping world locations for that exact same reason .
Old 11-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #15
Phil Saran

I’ve had bad and good luck buying out of state.

In 2015 we bought a new Thor Hurricane 34E has MH.

My wife fell in love with the 1 - 1/2 bath and it slept 7, we have 5 grandkids, but in reality have never had more than 2 at a time traveling with us.

I looked local and it was about $120k so I looked on line and found that exact model at a big RV dealer in Texas for a $20k savings. Bought it and drove it home.

Camping World is the ONLY authorized Thor dealer in Colorado.

Long story short local CW did warranty and recall repairs on my MH.

What I did not know when I bought it was that the TX dealer had a hail storm that damaged the roof, but did not say anything about that and they did a subpar repair and about 2 years in we ended up with a $18K
roof and electronics damage insurance repair.

It took about 6 months to sell it.

October 2018 we started shopping for a Keystone Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel. I looked on line in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico for one and they were all very proud of their $50k plus price tags.

So I looked farther away and found better pricing.

We ended up traveling to CW in Rapid City South Dakota and saved about $15k.
They don’t sell too many RV’s once winter starts coming.

The few warranty items I have had with the 5th wheel have been taken care of my my local CW and by Windish RV both of who are Keystone dealers.

Yes I have had to wait for a few weeks for a appointment, but nothing bad.
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, springdale