Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Frick'n Fish'n

Thumbs up Should I be afraid to take my new Alpine boondocking in the winter?

I am planning to take my new Alpine 3800 FK to the Grey Reef Wyoming to fish at the end of October. I am seeing comments in other threads about Propane lasting anywhere from a day to 5 days depending on usage and temps. I have a heat pump on 1 of my ac's. I have a electric Fireplace in the lvg room. I was told by the sales people that the Alpine is rated to -14. The brochure claims the same thing. The bottom is completely covered and the garage/storage area where most of the plumbing junctions are including the water heater and water pump area are all ducted for heat. I am concerned, however that when it was 29 the other day and I am sure there are 20+ feet of water line going to the back of the rig. While they are covered im concerned that they are not staying warm. I think this because I have purchased thermometers that show 24hr. max and min's. The area in the garage got down to 36. I am thinking the area where those lines runt to the back are getting colder. I am affraid if it gets much colder so will go the rest of the rig. Oh and yes I feel heat coming out of the vents in the garage. I will be boondocking. Will I need more than 1 battery over night? I have generators, as well. Any input would be very helpful. and appreciated.
Frick'n Fish'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #2
gearhead

When you say you have generators, do you mean other than one permanently installed in the trailer? Can we assume the generators run on gasoline? The one battery might last overnight.
I would run a generator all night and early morning, basically anytime temps are below freezing. A couple old fashioned trouble lights with 75 watt bulbs in the storage bay helps too. Any exposed plumbing can be covered with slip on foam insulation.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
notanlines

Battery-wise, you will need a minimum of 2 batteries to make the day, we prefer 2 six-volt. You mentioned that you have 'generators.' We'd like some info on the generator situation. Better that you would use a small electric heater in the RV along with your 'fireplace' than to use the heat pump. I might also be inclined to use an electric heater in the underbelly rather than rely on the furnace to supply warm air intermittently to the area.
I might also say that I doubt if there are any members at this site who would enjoy a stay in your Alpine at 14 degrees below zero. Where they dreamed up that figure is anyone's guess!
The best I have to offer is the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared." Plenty of propane, plenty of fuel for the 'generators,' plenty of small electric heaters and look for the night temperatures to drop to about 18-20 degrees.
Fill us in on how this works out for you. And PLEASE don't come back telling us about the grilled trout and cold beer!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 AM   #4
Roscommon48

hard to read your one paragraph. but, atleast 2 batteries.

a generator...a 2200watt honda would be nice.

lots of gas for generator.

another 30 pounder would be nice too.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

One component of the "Polar Package" hasn't been discussed yet. That's the "OPTIONAL" dual pane windows. I can't tell you the process by which Alpine tested and rated the "ONE MODEL" that was used in the "Rated to -14F" test, but I can assure you that it had every "bit of help at meeting that rating" which means "all the optional equipment available".

If your trailer does not have the optional dual pane windows, you aren't going to survive "that advertised -14F temperature".... That said, the rest of the "rating process" needs to be available before making any determination that YOUR trailer will meet YOUR expectations. For instance, IF (and I don't know the regimen used) the Keystone test procedure was a 8 hour test with 30 minutes at -14F, the sheer bulk size and cold soak process would protect the trailer. Depending on how rapidly the temperature was lowered and how rapidly it was raised would also make a difference in "fantasy and reality". There's a significant difference in putting an orange into a freezer for 20 minutes and putting an orange into a freezer for 48 hours. What was the process and how long was that Alpine exposed to -14F temperatures before the test was "concluded and sent to the advertising department" ?????

There are a number of people who have similar trailers from every RV manufacturer and I've not yet read any reports of "satisfaction in sub zero dry camping" from any RV brand owner. No doubt you can "survive" a day or two with accommodations to protect your RV. We have one member who regularly "camps" in his Hideout in Michigan winters. He is located in a campground where electricity is provided and does not use any of the RV plumbing equipment, rather he uses the campground facilities and keeps his trailer winterized. I'm sure you can "make do" and enjoy a fishing trip. Just use extreme caution towing (we've got multiple black ice incidents reported, some with "total loss reports" for trailer and tow vehicle. Also, don't forget the effects of prolonged exposure to salt and chemicals on the underside of your RV. If you don't have a means to clean the underside for the rest of the winter season, you may find some significant damage once spring arrives.

Think it through beyond the "Will I be comfortable and have functioning plumbing INSIDE the trailer for this "one and done trip".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
ChuckS

Since I own an Alpine and have for six years I’ll give my two cents worth regarding boon docking at -14

.. HP will not work.. it supplies zero heat at below 40 degrees
.. 1 battery in an Alpine isn’t sufficient for much of anything
.. I boon dock and you need at least TWO Grp 27 batteries or.. as I have..2 GC2 golf cart batteries

2200 watt generator would be barebones minimum... it will run converter to keep batteries charged, lighting, etc It ain’t gonna run the fireplace or any stand alone heater... 2200 watt gen would be running full bore

I run two Honda 2000s parallel and they do run the fireplace, drip coffee maker, etc.. but we still have to use power management if we want to run microwave while fireplace is running... my two gens will run microwave and fireplace at same time but I don’t like running my gens at near wide open to do so

I do not have dual pane windows and the advertised polar package is a “whim” feel good at best....

We have boon docked at 5 degree temps. BUT.. My unit was fully winterized.. we used toilet and poured water from 1 gallon water jugs to flush toilet.

One tank of propane lasted us 5 days and nights running furnace, fridge, and stove for cooking.. moderate inside temps of 62 to 65 degrees

At -14 with water in the lines you are.. in my opinion asking for problems yo7 don’t really want to incur...frozen lines, frozen and busted fittings, etc

We’ve also stayed in RV Park where night8me temps were about 10 degrees.. disconnected and drained water hose and filters. Had 1/2 tank fresh water for shower and toilet use

No troubles keeping things from freezing during the nite and daytime temps averaged 36 to 40 degrees...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
ChuckS

Another item to consider with your Alpine is... the hydraulic pump motor will draw well over 65 amps when temps get below 32 degrees when actuating hydraulic slide outs and six point leveling system...

If Keystone is still installing the 50 amp resettable breaker in-line from battery to hyd pump motor dual polarity solenoid you WILL experience issues of the pump motor stopping when that 50 amp breaker opens...

Upgrade it now to an 80 amp resettable breaker...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
gearhead

All good info.
I've camped in 12-14F in Tulsa in January with the Bigfoot cabover, no issues for me, but a lot of others were froze up. But it is probably one of the best insulated RVs out there.
I might try it in the Landmark this January. Hey, it has the "YETI" package!! LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
Ddubya

We have an Alpine and I would never try to camp at -14 without adding a lot of insulation, plugging up all of the openings that are in the under belly and in the body, having enough electric to power a good space heater and adding some sort of heat under the floor to protect the plumbing. We have camped at below freezing and it is a challenge to keep it comfortable even with all of the work I have done to make the coach tighter.
Good luck.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #10
Tbos

I have an Alpine 3651RL and I have used it camping in a full hook up site in the 20s with daytime getting into the upper 30s. I used the fireplace and furnace. A tank lasted several days. I did disconnect from water when the temps were below freezing. I’ve not tried using the tank heaters but they should also provide some heat in the belly. With all that said the key is having plenty of electric available either from a pedestal or a generator. I have a Westinghouse iGen 4500. It’ll handle the load but. It’s heavy and will eat some gas. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, boondocking, winter