Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
AUPANNER

removing anode in Hot water tnk

we have a 2017 Keystone Hideout 17' RV pull-behind camper - going to start winterizing it- how does one go about removing the anode in the hot water take? we have been told that it should be looked at at least once every couple of years.
I have attempted to remove it but it is solidly stuck and I don't want to use too much force for fear of breaking something.

Help?
AUPANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

I am familiar with the anode on a Suburban water heater. Your water heater will have some identification and it may be Dometic or Suburban. The Dometic, from what I have noted, has the anode placed awkawrdly and you should search for a very recent thread on the purchase of a water heater anode wrech which will allow access. If it is a Suburban, the anode rod is easily accessible. They are taped with teflon tape and then tightened in place. To remove, I use and impact socket (can't recall what size off the top of my head) and an 18" breaker bar. Metal on metal in an environment near water and some heat often causes the metals to gall and be a bit difficult to remove. Before attempting to remove, release all pressure in the tank after shutting off the water and putting your bypass valve in the shut position. Then take a small hammer and give the anode a few taps and this this will usually ease removal.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Should be 1 1/16” socket. I use a 1/2” drive socket with a wobble extension, since my ratchet handle extends I extend it fully, you can crank on these anode rods without harm. I prefer to use white plumbers putty on the threads.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPANNER View Post
we have a 2017 Keystone Hideout 17' RV pull-behind camper - going to start winterizing it- how does one go about removing the anode in the hot water take? we have been told that it should be looked at at least once every couple of years.
I have attempted to remove it but it is solidly stuck and I don't want to use too much force for fear of breaking something.

Help?
Depending on annual use of the RV & quality of water you're connected to I'd recommend checking the anode minimum of yearly when winterizing. They're not expensive & can be easily found, and Walmarts carry them, I've always carried a spare.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

You might need to get some rust spray to see if that loosens it up.

I pull mine anytime the trailer isn't being used for a bit. I find the water goes off if it sits for more than a couple of weeks.

Otherwise I'm still on my first anode. Still has lots of life left. 9 years since I bought the trailer.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
You might need to get some rust spray to see if that loosens it up.

I pull mine anytime the trailer isn't being used for a bit. I find the water goes off if it sits for more than a couple of weeks.

Otherwise I'm still on my first anode. Still has lots of life left. 9 years since I bought the trailer.
9 years? Wow, you must have some "soft" water up there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
9 years? Wow, you must have some "soft" water up there.
Maybe it's because I rarely leave it full. And don't use the trailer as often as I like

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Maybe it's because I rarely leave it full. And don't use the trailer as often as I like
I'm definitely suffering from the non-use this year myself. We camp a lot in central PA and the water is "mineral rich" to the point of almost needing a water softener.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
BulletOwner1

When I first bought my 2007 Cougar last year I went about checking the anode. First RV I've had that had one. It was very difficult to remove but did finally give up without damage. The anode itself looked like a piece of wire about the size of a coat hanger. Completely used up. Easy replacement and I used teflon tape. I've checked it twice since and removes easy. I don't think the first one had ever been checked.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPANNER View Post

Help?
It's common sense but I'll state the obvious here. Make sure the water heater is turned off and cooled down at least overnight. Open a hot water spigot to relieve the pressure or you could be looking down the barrel of a water cannon shooting a steel slug at your face. The gush of 5 - gal of water will get the bottom of the heater wet but it's OK, it's designed to drain it to the outside of the camper.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
bobbecky

When I get ready to pull the anode and flush the tank, I turn off electric and gas to the water heater and then run hot water at a faucet until the water has cooled. Once cool, it is easy to pull the anode without getting scalded.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
CrazyCain

On my 177LHS hideout, i pull the rod every time i am done camping. 4 years and still have >40% left. I use Teflon on the threads, it only cranks in like 4-5 threads, but nice and tight with no leaks. Never struggle to take it out, but putting it back in can be a pain..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Should be 1 1/16” socket. I use a 1/2” drive socket with a wobble extension, since my ratchet handle extends I extend it fully, you can crank on these anode rods without harm. I prefer to use white plumbers putty on the threads.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:38 AM   #14
skids

I would try an impact drill-driver.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Possibility of loosening screws that need to be tight, and not just the anode rod.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:59 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Possibility of loosening screws that need to be tight, and not just the anode rod.
I would disagree on loosing other screws when using an impact driver to loosen and anode rod, I also would prefer an impact driver to a socket with a long leaver arm, you could twist the tank in the foam housing. An impact only applies twisting action to the item being loosed not the whole tank.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I would disagree on loosing other screws when using an impact driver to loosen and anode rod, I also would prefer an impact driver to a socket with a long leaver arm, you could twist the tank in the foam housing. An impact only applies twisting action to the item being loosed not the whole tank.
an impact gun will apply torque to the socket and anything the socket is attached to. As long as the nut isn't moving it's applying torque to everything attached to the "nut". The difference is the impact gun will apply torque in quick, short succession at a specified torque. A standard levered wrench will apply an amount of torgue over duration limited only by the operators strength.
I think Chuck's referencing of loosening other screws comes from the "impact" part of using an impact gun. It will set up a quick shaking of everything attached, including your hand hold the impact gun or wrench. JMHO
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
RickReichert

Rt-ll

With either impact gun or long socket bar, remember it is righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
Farside

I drain the HW tank every time I get ready to leave the RV sitting for awhile. A couple years ago, I figured taking the anode out for the winter would be a good idea. You know, give the tank a chance to dry out. However, after draining the tank, and letting it sit for a few months, I came back to put the anode back in for the Springtime events. Guess what? Hard water in the tank had settled in the lower HW anode insert threads, and the calcium build-up took me hours to clean out with a wire brush before I could get the anode back in the tank. Now I just drain the tank, and put the anode back in after it's drained. Makes life a lot easier.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farside View Post
I drain the HW tank every time I get ready to leave the RV sitting for awhile. A couple years ago, I figured taking the anode out for the winter would be a good idea. You know, give the tank a chance to dry out. However, after draining the tank, and letting it sit for a few months, I came back to put the anode back in for the Springtime events. Guess what? Hard water in the tank had settled in the lower HW anode insert threads, and the calcium build-up took me hours to clean out with a wire brush before I could get the anode back in the tank. Now I just drain the tank, and put the anode back in after it's drained. Makes life a lot easier.
Leaving the anode out can create a nice dark habitat for insects which are tasty meals for rodents and small reptiles. If you're going to leave the anode out I'd replace it with a plastic or brass pipe plug.

Tags
water