Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
jkugler

Installing a Hubodometer

I'd like to be able to know, at a glance, how many miles I've put on my trailer, without logging every time I hooked up the trailer, disconnected the trailer, etc. I'd like to install something like a Stemco Hubodometer (https://amazon.com/Stemco-650-0610-H...dp/B002D42BMQ/)

Anyone installed one of those on a travel trailer before? Any better ideas?

Thanks!
jkugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Some tow vehicles have the capability to monitor, record and track trailer mileage. Ford SuperDuty vehicles (XLT and above with the digital dash system from 2012) are among the vehicles with this capability. I don't see any indication of the tow vehicle you have, but maybe you already have the capability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
KSH

Same on the ram. Mileage by trailer.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you look at the bottom of the page it says the hubometer is for a 22.5” rim. I didn’t see an option to adjust for different rim sizes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
ajk170

John - I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but I have a 2013 F250 Laredo Super Duty , where is that feature? I can't say that I've ever noticed it, but I've never looked for it either and I'm not super observant ...
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Andy,

In the "4x4" center instrument panel color screen" (not the 1x4" green dot screen) go to "truck apps", then select "Off Road" then select "trailer" and there's a means to name up to 5 different trailers. The system will track accumulated mileage for each trailer by name and will activate the tracking when a trailer is connected to the truck's 7 pin connector. Setup is on page 113 of the 2013 SuperDuty Owner's Manual under "Truck Apps" Off Road.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
ajk170

WHAT!!?? That's a great tip! This is what i get for not reading the manual! When I get home that's one of the first things I'm doing on the truck! Thanks for pointing this out! This is up there with realizing that those little white ketchup holders ("cups")you get at some fast food places are actually pleated and can "pull" open. Here is a youtube for those that never knew this, of course I maybe the only person out there that never knew this... changed my life once I found out. This tip on the F250 is right up there! (For the record, I don't learn this ketchup trick on youtube, not sure where but it wasn't that long ago I discovered it! But this youtube is the best I can do on short notice!)
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
jkugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you look at the bottom of the page it says the hubometer is for a 22.5” rim. I didn’t see an option to adjust for different rim sizes.
Might not be able to. I've seen similar units where you could adjust the rim size, or it was sold in multiple models with multiple rim sizes. I was looking for a unit that would be usable for a travel trailer.

As for my tow rig, it doesn't have that feature, sadly.
jkugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
WHAT!!?? That's a great tip! This is what i get for not reading the manual! When I get home that's one of the first things I'm doing on the truck! Thanks for pointing this out! This is up there with realizing that those little white ketchup holders ("cups")you get at some fast food places are actually pleated and can "pull" open. Here is a youtube for those that never knew this, of course I maybe the only person out there that never knew this... changed my life once I found out. This tip on the F250 is right up there! (For the record, I don't learn this ketchup trick on youtube, not sure where but it wasn't that long ago I discovered it! But this youtube is the best I can do on short notice!)

Ha!! I like those improvised fries!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote