Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
newemptynester

This is just my opinion - I live and camp in Michigan and have for over 30 years. Our state parks are the best, they are supported by us, the taxpayers, and by people who camp at them. They barley get funded by the state. The parks charge by how popular each site maybe and how popular the park itself is. I only pay $25 per night at my favorite state park. I have never been charged for my TT, I just pay for my TV yearly. We have private campgrounds that are like camping in a parking lot that charge 45 - 50 - 60 per night depending on what amenities you would like and the sites are right on top of each other and if you have a bump out - watch out, you may hit your neighbors TT.

The Mackinaw bridge - all bridges that size have a fee of some sort.

At least we do not charge to drive on our "lovely" roads.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #22
Roscommon48

Just enjoy Michigan and quit complaining about costs. Now you've moved to other things other than campground grounds. Next there will be complaining about how expensive gas is. Quit with the negatives. Everything in the summer at the neat places cost.

Outside of Michigan, try getting a cheap RV place in Key West area....at least $3200 a month! And I love the French Quarter RV Park in New Orleans....$105 a night. And then there is their Halloween weekend...$150-min. 3 nights. And then there is the Sugar Bowl...$250 a night-min. 3 nights.

Life is too short. Stop complaining and live a little.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #23
newemptynester

Well said Roscommon48.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

To me, it seems like a significant portion of the complaints about "fees in Michigan" are a result of PPP. (P Poor Planning) on the part of the complainer. Reserving a campsite daily does result in excessive reservation fees. Paying a daily park use fee does result in $9 a day. Paying a commercial ferry fee to travel from the mainland to the island is the same as paying for an airline ticket from Chicago to Detroit (you can swim or walk if you prefer). Paying the price to transport a bicycle on a commercial carrier is the same as paying "excess baggage fees" on an airplane or even a Greyhound bus"...

As for the Mighty Mac and tolls, $4 for a car or truck is cheap. Try triple towing across the bridge. It's $10 each way. To be honest, that's still 50 times cheaper than towing around Lake Michigan to get to St Ignace. Additionally, I've never (EVER) crossed the bridge without having to change lanes due to construction or repairs. At least I know (and can see) that the toll charges are actually being used to maintain the bridge, not going into some slush fund to be stolen or mis-used by another department.

I can't begin to tell you how many "non-resident fees" I've paid in states where I didn't live (try hunting and fishing licenses in any state where you're not a resident) and pay taxes to support the facilities like the residents are paying, often involuntarily.... I can't remember actually "posting on a forum about how much it costs to camp or to sightsee" after traveling halfway around the world for the privilege of visiting a foreign country. Trust me when I say that $90 a night is a bargain in the Yellowstone area when all the park campgrounds are full and $100 a night in the Colorado Rockies when you can't get a site in the state park system is also a bargain... I could complain about the cost, drive on through and not have the time to enjoy those areas, but I'd rather not "weigh my wallet" against the beauty of the experiences and sites I'd miss by avoiding the reality that travel costs money. LOTS OF MONEY.....

Oh, head east or west as soon as you cross the southern Michigan border. You'll be paying tolls on that CRAPPY interstate if you head west and you'll be paying an additional 19 cents a gallon for diesel if you head east.

The last time we traveled to Europe I well remember "visa charges", ad-velorum taxes, non-resident surcharges, and "they even charged us money to exchange our money for theirs".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #25
FlyingAroundRV

OK! Everybody pile on now!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
OK! Everybody pile on now!
You beast! jk

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
goducks

Still beats a noisy hotel.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #28
notanlines

Thinking along John's path, the Chesapeake bay bridge takes in more than $250,000,000 with roughly 27,000,000 vehicles crossing every year. Is anyone naïve enough to believe that money goes for maintenance?
Try paying to cross Confederate Bridge in PIE or, heaven forbid, George Washington Bridge in NY. Pay your life insurance premiums before crossing the GW, believe me. That bridge has potholes that have potholes. Just pay up and enjoy yourself.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #29
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Life is short. Fees suck. Fun costs. Relax and enjoy it. Make memories.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #30
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Thinking along John's path, the Chesapeake bay bridge takes in more than $250,000,000 with roughly 27,000,000 vehicles crossing every year. Is anyone naïve enough to believe that money goes for maintenance?
Try paying to cross Confederate Bridge in PIE or, heaven forbid, George Washington Bridge in NY. Pay your life insurance premiums before crossing the GW, believe me. That bridge has potholes that have potholes. Just pay up and enjoy yourself.
Side note about toll roads. In BC we have an express highway that runs from Kamloops BC to Hope BC.(543kms or337mi.). Opened in 1986. Cost to build $840M and tolls collected $1.14B. Initially built with our tax dollars. Rumour has it the tolls were dropped in 2008 because all of the people involved had passed on and graft was not transferable to descendants.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #31
travelin texans

The past few years in Texas when they add/upgrade a big interchange it becomes a toll road til it's paid for, seems though it must never get paid for as the tolls go on forever.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #32
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The past few years in Texas when they add/upgrade a big interchange it becomes a toll road til it's paid for, seems though it must never get paid for as the tolls go on forever.
Some where in the basement I have a picture of my father and the Governor of Ohio along with select Turnpike officials at the ribbon cutting ceremonies at Exit 4 of the Ohio Turnpike I-80/90. The year, 1955 or so, at the time he was a Lucas County Commissioner. At the supper table that night he explained his experience at the ceremony and told how the toles would be removed when the bonds were paid off. About 24 years ago the bonds were paid off but the non elected (appointed) turnpike commission decided to up the fees and continue them forever. So yes, once a cash cow always a cash cow.

About the same time The Indiana toll road, I-80/90, was leased to an Australian company and I won't comment on it's condition.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #33
retiredusps69

Awh move to NJ. if you want Fees. 3 bedroom house 3/4 acre Approx value $300,000. $12,000 taxes.Plus if you move out of state they get you with exiting tax. All toll roads are cash cows for other projects. Conn removed tolls years ago now they plan on bringing them back.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Not trying to pile on but just observations I suppose;

An RV costs money to own and operate if you never move. It costs even more, sometimes much more, if you actually take off and travel. Where you go is of course up to the individual. Some places will cost you an arm and a leg and some are almost free (boondocking) - we make that choice before departure, or at least I do. If I didn't I would fully understand that I would be subject to locations that will charge what the paying public will bear. Resorts and scenic locations do that anyway and it goes with the territory.

When we travel I don't think about costs or money. It detracts from our enjoyment. As I tell DW, and she tells me, it is what it is...are we having fun? If not, change directions. Don't get me wrong, I will gripe and complain, but not about the costs of traveling per se; maybe about the costs of a repair somewhere, poor food, poor roads, poor drivers etc....because as DW tells me, I've got to have something to gripe about!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #35
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
...When we travel I don't think about costs or money. It detracts from our enjoyment....
What a wonderful luxury to live life without considering costs. I wish.

By being frugal (cheap) we manage to spent 4 to 6 months traveling every year.

We do avoid Michigan State Parks because of their ridiculous fee structure.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
What a wonderful luxury to live life without considering costs. I wish.

By being frugal (cheap) we manage to spent 4 to 6 months traveling every year.

We do avoid Michigan State Parks because of their ridiculous fee structure.

We have been blessed that's for sure. And to clarify, we do "look" at costs of things but do not let that be the driving factor when we travel. I assess the entire situation before I leave; if I want to spend that much money for ?? then we do it and don't worry because I have already determined pretty much what I'm going to spend up front. Worrying about it once on the road "dampens" the spirit so to speak. We too travel a lot and spend maybe 4 months at our main house at the most per year.

We spent much/most of our life being "frugal" and unable to travel much due to work - ahhh, then came retirement! My wife is still frugal- it's in her genes, and was in her mother's genes. I am the spender but I've got this little birdie sitting on my shoulder "tweeting" at me any time it (she) wants me to rethink something.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #37
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post
Awh move to NJ. if you want Fees. 3 bedroom house 3/4 acre Approx value $300,000. $12,000 taxes.Plus if you move out of state they get you with exiting tax. All toll roads are cash cows for other projects. Conn removed tolls years ago now they plan on bringing them back.

No wonder so many from NJ are moving here. Home value on 4 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath on 1/3 acre 5 minutes from the Atlantic is about $325k taxes are $1600.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #38
Rickmuzick

LOL Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
We're travelling through Michigan at the moment and the state parks really know how to gouge!
Now you have to pay a camping fee, a vehicle fee for the TV, a towed vehicle fee for the TT, an online booking fee, and a "convenience" fee (whatever that's for).
What a rip off!

As broke as Michigan is you are surprised by this?

The convenience fee BTW is what they charge you to re-coup the cost of processing a credit/debit card. A common practice usually associated when they "farm out" their booking to a third party.

Other than your complaints... how's your time at the parks been?

keeping it in perspective
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #39
daveinaz

I don’t mind paying more as a non-resident to stay at state campgrounds. We recently spent five dats at McLain and four at Ft Wilkins. We bought the non-resident pass for $33. But what irks me are the so-called convenience and booking fees. That’s why I refuse to buy tickets from Ticketmaster and such places—their ridiculous convenience fees. Now even the theater is the same way. I went to get tickets online for a movie at Harkins theater and even they wanted to charge a convenience fee! No thanks. I’ll just buy it at the window.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #40
Whitewolf

I was told by a ranger several years ago that Mi State Parks are self funded. They do not receive any money from the states General Fund.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote