Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #21
siberian

I dumped DirecTV two years ago and stream what I need, when I need. Went from 80 bucks per month for 99% of channels I never watched to $0, with OTA and the internet, no need for these cable/sat operators.

I keep getting mails from them asking me to come back; highly unlikely... like modems and punch cards, they're from the past. Use the internet and cut the cord

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:19 AM   #22
jimborokz

Cut the Cable

Dropped DirecTV last fall. Put it on vacation when we went south and left it off this spring. Stream everything now with Fire Sticks and Roku's. There is so much competition on streaming it just keeps getting better. We went from $150/mo. to $45 and we get more content then before. Only lost local affiliates and we can get the OTA. Tried Dish in the camper last year and it was too much of a hassle. I feel so much freer now. Also rediscovered the joy of reading books.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #23
foszoe

I think the sat/cable companies should break out the cost of the locals and just not bill for it during a dispute.

I have been OTA/streaming now for over a decade and never understood how people get so upset over locals being dropped. Most can pick them up with a cheap antenna.
foszoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

I have thought about an OTA antenna, but I figure by the time I buy all the things needed, it isn’t worth it.

I’m getting used to not having the 2 channels, and pretty soon I may get used to even less.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #25
geeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foszoe View Post
I think the sat/cable companies should break out the cost of the locals and just not bill for it during a dispute.

I have been OTA/streaming now for over a decade and never understood how people get so upset over locals being dropped. Most can pick them up with a cheap antenna.
That would be a breech of contract and the company would be sued by the Networks. We cannot even break it out and offer it as a separate fee!! Required to air in "most penetrated tier" meaning Basic lineup. Required to take the crap second channels. Required to pay the annual raises during the contract. ILLEGAL to put on a scroll telling about contracts, yet the networks do the very same thing and tell our customers to call the cable company.

Here is another article today......https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/ca...es-spike-2006/
Network TV costs cable companies a lot more than you might think.

Local affiliates of NBC, CBS, Fox, and ABC comprise a huge chunk of cable bills, allegedly accounting for as much as $16 of a cable bill, according to Cord Cutters News. As cable company woes have increased over the last decade, networks are still upping their prices. And cable company Armstrong announced this week that these fees have gone up a shocking 600% since 2006.

Networks are out to screw you, not the cable companies.....600%!!!
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #26
cavediver

Then don't carry them.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #27
dd45529

I lost CBSN and Smithsonian. Both favorites. Not sure what else is missing since I've blocked over half of the stations I pay for because the channels I want are not in the cheaper packages. The dispute seems to be with ATT and Diretv. Hope it gets settled soon or I'm going to free HD channels and streaming. Save me a bunch of money.
dd45529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #28
OldMasterTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I wish they would take those away from me. I didn't know anyone watched those any longer.
Both my E350 and my F150 have low profile in-motion directv dishes that are SD only. Guess I'll be scrapping a significant investment....
2017 Escape Titanium - 2007 Shelby GT500
2007 E350 Quigley 4wd 6.0 PS
2006 F550 Lariat 6.0 PS
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote