Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
chuckster57
Site Team

CBS and DirecTV

Anybody else as mad As I am over the dispute and the fact that once again the customer is stuck in the middle? I woke up Sat morning and found that both my CBS and my CW stations are blocked. I hope they fix it soon or I may be forced to drop any and all services associated with ATT......thank you for letting me vent!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's the same here. CBS affiliate stations (not the CBS local TV station) are apparently wanting more money from ATT to broadcast on DirecTV. We no longer get the CBS "upper news stations" that compete with MSNBC and Fox News. I haven't found any other stations that were dropped from the lineup, but DirecTV is posting a "contact those greedy people" notice on the CBS stations that were dropped.

A couple years ago, people with DISH service had the same issue with dropped stations during the "contract fights between DISH and the broadcasters"....

Like you said, we paid for the service and no longer get it, so no matter what ATT needs to do to fix this, it's on them to provide what they contracted to provide. Right now, they aren't doing that. The reason is irrelevant AFAIK, and I really don't care what ATT does to fix it, but THEY need to provide what we pay for or reduce the price and/or provide a means to change service without penalty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I know. Ive been with Direct since about 2002 so no penalty as far as I'm concerned, ATT has been my phone/cell phone provider since 1996 and once again I see no penalty without a HUGE fight. ATT internet since 2000...

I threatened them last year and they did give me a small break but took away about 40 channels. And I am hearing of plans to turn off the SD satellites in Sept. That may very well prove to be the final straw.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
jsmith948

Here in our area, we lost NBC (local channel 24) and CBS (local channel 47).
Both of these are owned and operated by Nexstar. Both channels have been out since July 3rd. I am seriously considering canceling. We pay $180+ for satellite t.v. - crazy

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Both of these are owned and operated by Nexstar. Both channels have been out since July 3rd. I am seriously considering canceling. We pay $180+ for satellite t.v. - crazy
I wish they would take those away from me. I didn't know anyone watched those any longer.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

13 and 31 for me. I rely on 31 in the morning for the traffic going to the bay area. And I like Goodday Weekends.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Hblick48

I have Dish both at home and in RV. HBO and Dish had a similar dispute last Sept. HBO went dark on Dish, and it still is...10 months and counting. Only way to get HBO is streaming, which chews up a bunch of data when traveling in the fiver.

AT&T owns HBO, and probably wants that content to be exclusive to its distribution networks. We, the consumer are in the middle of the arrogent position that HBO has taken. From what I read, HBO wants Dish to guarantee a 20% subscriber base, regardless as to how many people actually subscribe to the service.

Will NEVER do business with AT&T or it's subsidiaries.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #8
{tpc}

Whats interesting about this is that comcast (who I have at home) will allow you to keep the channels you contracted for until you change your "plan" . I found this out when my rate went up and I negotiated it back down, they told me I would lose a couple channels because they hadn't come to terms with them. But they said if I stayed with my current plan I wouldn't lose them. They said I might get them back in the future once they got a deal done.

Funny thing was, I switched and lowered my rate, channels never changed.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #9
Dogue

We've also been without NBC since the beginning of the month. Only thing we're missing is America's Got Talent...and we've managed to get by without it.

BTW, if you log into your DirecTv acct you can get a $5 credit due to the missing channels.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #10
fatcatzzz

We dumped Directv for Dish about a year and a half ago. Winegard Travler and Hopper 3. We have been very happy with Dish.
Chiuckster57: Have you tried streaming channel 31, they have a all day stream?
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

I posted this on another forum in early December, last year:

CBS gone from Dish
12-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Every year or so, Tegna, the company that owns the CBS stuff on Dish TV and Dish start squabbling about the fee Dish must pay. This year, they couldn't reach and agreement and CBS is gone. This means NFL games, Madam Secretary, Hawaii Five O, Bluebloods, etc. won't be back until they get this sorted out. Dish has a spot on where the channel was begging customers to call Tegna and complain to try and pressure them into making a deal that Dish can live with. I will be going up to the RV to watch the shows we like via OTA until this is sorted. I really don't want to buy an OTA DVR but it might come to that if this holding the customers hostage situation becomes more frequent (as threatened by Dish in their spot on the local CBS channel space).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
rjrelander

We dropped all cable and satellite television service years ago. Will watch whatever scraps we can pick up on local digital broadcasts but honestly don't miss it at all. Drives the door to door sales people nuts when I tell them I have no need for their services.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
We dropped all cable and satellite television service years ago. Will watch whatever scraps we can pick up on local digital broadcasts but honestly don't miss it at all. Drives the door to door sales people nuts when I tell them I have no need for their services.
I'm right there with ya!
We can get the major networks from our OTA antenna which is plenty good for us.
I don't give a hoot about sports, don't watch any of the fake news, I can look out the window & guess the weather with about the same acurancy as the weather guys, wouldn't watch a minute of ANY of the reality shows, don't watch much TV anyway, so as long as we can find something to watch for a couple hours in the evening or stream an occasional movie we're fine with what we have.
We had Direct satellite several years ago in our S&B with the monthly bill drafted from our account. One day DW looked at the bill & noticed a $5 late fee, looked back & found this every month, called them & they stated that they drafted our payment on say the 1st, the day the bill is due, but informed us that it took 5 days for it to be posted as paid, after much argument they refunded all the late fees back to us & once done we called & canceled with them with a message to them that we were going to be a huge advertiser, negative of course, for them from now til eternity & got Dish.
Moral; DO NOT USE DIRECT TV!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
I'm right there with ya!
We can get the major networks from our OTA antenna which is plenty good for us.
I don't give a hoot about sports, don't watch any of the BS fake news, wouldn't watch a minute of ANY of the reality shows, don't watch much TV anyway, so as long as we can find something to watch for a couple hours in the evening or stream an occasional movie we're fine with what we have.
We had Direct satellite several years ago in our S&B with the monthly bill drafted from our account. One day DW looked at the bill & noticed a $5 late fee, looked back & found this every month, called them & they stated that they drafted our payment on say the 1st, the day the bill is due, but informed us that it took 5 days for it to be posted as paid, after much argument they refunded all the late fees back to us & once done we called & canceled with them with a message to them that we were going to be a huge advertiser, negative of course, for them from now til eternity & got Dish.
Moral; DO NOT USE DIRECT TV!!!! And watch the bill closely!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I had a similar problem with Direct years ago and switched to Dish. It got to where TV was nearly all garbage, I gave up on watching sports per se and the news turned into nothing but opinion editorials so I dropped Dish...at 4 houses (which cost a lot of money I now save!) and haven't gone back. I keep up with the news and weather online (have to read between the lines to get much of it) and we subscribe to Netflix and Amazon w/HBO. Pretty much takes care of us along with the 4 boxes of DVDs we take with us in the RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
LynnGlaze13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post

We still have every channel except the local NBC affiliate including NBCSN Sports Network.

We only watched one show on NBC so we have not missed much except the last 2 stages of The Tour De France and we watched them later in the day on NBCSN.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
larryflew

If you are within 50 miles of the tower DTV will overnight an antenna that plugs into your Genie and integrates with your guide etc.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #18
geeman

Cable / Dish / Direct and Retransmission Fees w Networks

The biggest and only problem with receiving your Network stations, ABC CBS FOX NBC etc, is the greed of the Network Programmers!! Period!

Believe me, I know. I work at a cable company. A few years ago the networks were "allowed" by the FCC to charge providers for these companies to re-broadcast their stations. As in our case, you could barely get the stations with your own antenna so the fact that we were distributing a better signal that they even provided and were being charged for it. That "over the air" signal is now worse due to digital signals not being as strong.

That fee they began charging providers started as a small fee until the programmers realized the cash cow they were sitting on! Contracts are on a 3 year deal. We started out at a modest rate and were under 3 dollars for all the networks, their secondary stations and all. Each year there is an increase built in. BUT at the end of the contract--WATCH OUT! There have been rate increases of over 300% and still have built in annuals. We used to have 7 networks stations from 2 major cities. We have been forced to drop some of the "out of market" stations from the 2nd city to try and manage costs. What started at under 3 bucks is now $18! with fewer stations!! To top it off, under each contract the networks will add crappy secondary stations no one wants with additional charges and demand that you add them to Basic as well. Not some secondary tier of channels but to your basic lineup.

This is why no one can afford cable, dish, direct! Companies are loosing customers right and left yet if you look at these network financial statements and their projected earnings, they are going up up and away!! They even brag about it in interviews how much money they are making on retransmission agreements. Until the FCC steps in and says enough is enough, things will not change. Companies are being forced to make tough decisions about whether or not to carry networks.

Personally I think it is great that Direct has put their foot down. Small companies like ours means nothing when we try to make a statement. CBS is loosing their butt if Direct, Dish and major carriers say NO MORE.

And it gets worse... like some have said, if you have an "over the air" antenna, guess what .............. ITS FREE!! What sort of bull crap is that? We make their crappy signal better, deliver quality signal in HD and their advertising just so they can charge use 18 bucks!! Yet it is still free on an antenna. If they are going to charge, make everyone pay!!

Here is a solution for you though........ if you can get the LOCAST app on your device or box you can get all of your networks for FREE. They are a nonprofit that is operating on donations...not required.

All of these companies have made agreements with you on forecasted expenses and with the horrible rates being shoved down there throats, you cannot forecast that!!

Why should only part of us pay for the ridiculous profits and sports contracts these networks are making? Why........

Off the soap box!
On to better things in life!
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #19
SR71 Jet Mech

We too have had Directv, then 14 years ago switched to Dish. Then a year and a half ago the whole missing channel crap came up, then a software and/or firmware upgrade to our hoppers that made them basically obsolete for how we used them and how THEY set them up. But they could conveniently “upgrade “ us to hopper 3 for $200 and it would fix our issues.
Nope.......
Bought an Amazon fire stick and have never looked back. Tried Hulu live, it stinks. Tried Directv now, it stinks. Figured out how to stream through 3rd party apps and no more cable or satellite. We have the largest DVR or VOD ever and I can pick download size so not to burn up too much data. Plenty of OTA and just fill in with the stick. Still need college football so need something.
Now have 6 fire sticks and went from $175 monthly to $20.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
RayT

No matter which provider you use, we have DirecTV, the prices increases every year much higher than any other measure of inflation. This is because the content creators, like CBS, have little regard for cost, they just keep extorting the cable & satellite providers for higher fees (and rely on end users to apply the pressure).

I for one am all for the providers standing up to the content creators, even if it means a few days missing some stations. Something other than my budget needs to give here.

Just my 2˘
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote