Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
katina

Looking to buy - long term stays

Hello-
I am new to this whole thing. I plan to have my rv in one spot for 7 months and then have moved to a warm weather park the other 5. So- I just started looking and so far I think Keystone has the best layouts. And they are not all dark. Geesh, what is with the dark colors??! Anyway - loved the forum info on the Outback vs Springdale. I looked at both and like that floor plan. I just saw a Springdale in biscotti that was nice and light. I'm looking at 35 - 37'. Do not want a bunkhouse. Any tips, advice for this type of living and what I might need to think about? Y'all are the experts!! Thank you!!!
katina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

So questions that need a answer. Are you moving it? If so make sure you have a vehicle that is up to the job. There are guys that will move it so you do not need to buy a BIG truck.
With a truck in mind, they all print what the truck can pull, few say what it can carry. Those are 2 different things. That information is printed on a yellow sticker near the driver door from around 2005 models and newer. Each vehicle may have different numbers even in the same model and year.
When you look at a RV they print what the unit weights empty. When you move it they weigh a lot more. Use the Max loaded weight, GVWR as a guide to what it might really weigh.
Learn how even item is turned on/off in the RV by the dealer showing as they explain everything. Read the manuals and ask questions when stumped.
That is a start.
I had a 40ft park model on a beach lot and they are made differently then the normal RV. For a unit parked and moved once a year that may be a much better unit to live it. Look up Park models for the differences between the two.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Frank G

My first thought is to look at something rated for full time living. May be the ones you are looking at are, I don't know. I know many that don't, including myself. There are many considerations in the build of a unit rated for full time living. In all honesty if you plan on wintering in the south (Florida) a 12 month seasonal lot costs little more than a 5 month spot or even a 3 month spot.. Park models are becoming increasingly popular. By the way Florida is packed J-F M start looking now. The resort we are at fully booked up for seasonal stays last February.

We wish you the best, enjoy.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #4
katina

Thanks for the answer! No I do not plan to pull it. I'll hire for it. I have looked at park models and love those and will probably buy one after I sell my house in a few years and leave in Mich. But right now, still working and don't really want to move 2 times a year a park model. Too much to move. And I'm not truly full time in one yet. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to think about specifically for this type of life. Right now, I don't even know the questions to ask! But I think I've decided on a Keystone as the floor plans are the best I've seen - and I've looked at a zillion. Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
katina

Interesting what you said about 12 mos vs 5. Thanks for that info. Not sure of my plan yet but I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Frank G

If we had to do it over again we would have skipped the fifth wheel thing and gone right to a slightly used, set up park model, with all amenities including a 12 x 36 screened in porch for the same money as a quality fifth wheel. If we wanted something to see America with we would get a small ultra light under 5k lbs and under 20ft. RV lots in Florida range from sand lots with no amenities next to I-75 to Ocean Front Properties with club house privileges and yacht dockage. In the park we are in a 3 month rental (JFM) is $3,000 plus electric, a full year is $3,400 plus electric. Those are pretty standard mid level rates. Travelers Rest Resort has excellent amenities, and no ten year clause. Yes, some RV parks say no to units over ten years old. Retirement comes sooner than you think, plan for it wisely and enjoy it as long as you can.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Moving a park model or a 37ft RV is no different unless you buy a wider one that needs a permit. Bottom line it might cost more but, the moving part is the same.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote