Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
TXCamper

Rookie Full-Timer Preparing for the Winter

Hey y’all, I’ve been a lurker on these forums for a couple months now and have finally decided to join in. I bought my 5th wheel, a 2018 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27RLS, a few months ago to live in because it’s the cheapest option out here in West Texas. I love living in my camper, but it’s certainly come with some hard lessons and learning curves, and at the ripe old age of 22, it feels like an “adventurous” way to live!

Right now I’m trying to find out what steps I need to take to prepare for the dry desert winter temps. I am not too familiar with this area, but my native co-workers tell me that it can stay in the 20’s for quite a while and the last thing I want to be doing is going several days without water because my plumbing busted or having backed up sewage because the outlets are frozen shut!

I am hooked up to city water and the park’s sewage tanks full time. My camper is equipped with the Polar Package which from a hat I’ve read on it equates to a big load of nothing. I still have a few weeks of warm weather left, but an abrupt cold front that blew in last week has me spooked. What should I do to keep my pipes intact and the interior of my camper nice and toasty?
TXCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Roscommon48

poplar package is just a silly joke.

if you are at a campground talk to the other campers who have been through the winter. Lots of ideas but talk to your neighbors.

Get ready to spend a lot of money on propane, or use electric heaters.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
TXCamper

I know this probably comes across as an uneducated question, but which heating units in my camper uses propane? I’m pretty sure the furnace in my living room is electric, does the central air that my thermostat controls use propane?
Old 10-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome from a member about 45 miles from you in Lamesa!

If you are going to full time out here it can be easy....or not. Are you working in the oilfield and going to be staying in one place for a while or moving? If you're constantly moving setting up/breaking down with a lot of "stuff" can get tiresome.

I spent 3 years working out of my RV (mid 80s), with none of the great stuff we have now, all over W TX and the panhandle. We didn't have them then, but, get a heated hose - greatest thing since sliced bread when it's freezing. Used to wrap it with heater hose and insulation...no more. I am ASSUMING you are in an improved site since you are full timing.

Back when I had no "polar package" and I wasn't enclosed underneath but I did fine most of the time - now, I skip winter weather except in FL. Don't know if you are 50A or 30A but the 50 gives you a world of other options.

The vast majority of the time you won't need to worry about anything at all. Watch the weather. Make sure your LP tanks are full (and have a supplier close at hand) and you have a GOOD electric heater for the inside. Some like heated blankets - can't do it. Night time lows at maybe 27 are fine IF you are going to go back up at daylight. If you are at 27 and going to stay use the heated hose so you have no worries. At one point, when it was about 10 below or so, my propane tanks froze and I had to wrap them in heater tape; they had the little tank enclosure but they didn't like that temp. Not had that happen again.

They make little insulated "pillows" to stuff in your vents - I use them. On the electric heater, don't use it as "the" source of heat in the RV; the polar pkg. will depend on the furnace providing heat into the belly of the trailer. I put Reflectix in my windows for summer and it should help with winter as well (from Lowes/HD).

Since water is critical and lots of the lines are next to the outside wall, leave the doors open under cabinets/sinks etc.

There are tons of things to do and watch for. I had not a soul to talk to when I "learned" the hard way and things have changed a lot. There are tons of folks on here that camp in all kinds of weather with their units and they will be sharing their insights. Good luck!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCamper View Post
I know this probably comes across as an uneducated question, but which heating units in my camper uses propane? I’m pretty sure the furnace in my living room is electric, does the central air that my thermostat controls use propane?
The "fireplace", if like ours, is super (electric). The main heating comes from your furnace which operates on LP (and electric for controls). The furnace uses LP and can go through a LOT if it's really cold. The "fireplace" is nice for ambience and can be pretty effective for heating but you need the furnace to keep the belly warm (holding tanks etc.)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
TXCamper

Thank you for your insight, I’m happy to hear from someone in the area who’s done this before! Also excited to hear that I don’t have too much to worry about, I’ll be looking into the heated hose and a couple of good electric heaters. I am in a 50 Amp trailer in what I would consider an improved RV Park. You are right about the electric fireplace, not very useful unless you stand right in front of it or use it in conjuncture with central heat. The one thing I think I’m most concerned with is how much money I’ll have to spend on burning propane. When I went through that 2 day cold spell I must have unknowingly spent most of my propane!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
travelin texans

Might want to check with the local lp distributor about having a 100# propane tank set up, the furnace running will burn through a 20 or 30 lb bottle very quickly if running continuously, this way you won't have to be worrying about running out while away at work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 AM   #8
Roscommon48

You need to have someone come over and go over things. If you are thinking your A/C is on propane you need someone there to help you out.

You'll learn....like the rest of us, errors and then more errors but we learn.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Most propane supply companies will (for a price) set you up with a 100 gallon (not 100 pound vertical tank) or a 150 gallon "ball shaped tank" and keep it filled on a regular basis. Propane most places is around $18 for a 30 pound tank and around $2.50/gallon delivered by a propane service. When you consider the convenience of a larger tank, someone monitoring it to keep it filled and the cost savings (10-20 cents/gallon), it's usually worth the expense to install the larger tank. If you do that, make sure you maintain the capability to revert to your 30 pound tanks by simply disconnecting the large tank and connecting your OEM propane tanks. That allows for mobility if you should need to move the trailer and allows you the added benefit of an "emergency reserve" if something should happen and the large tank runs out of propane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #10
TXCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
You need to have someone come over and go over things. If you are thinking your A/C is on propane you need someone there to help you out.

You'll learn....like the rest of us, errors and then more errors but we learn.
Oh no, I don’t think that the A/C is run off propane, I was referring to the furnace. I will check with my neighbors to see what they plan on doing for cold weather preparations
Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
travelin texans

The advantage of the 100# over the 100 gallon is if "you" need to move it it's possible.
The 100# holds approximately 24 gallons of liquid which is nearly 5 times of a 20# (5 gallons) which equals much more than 5 times the vapor, which is what you burn, meaning it will last much more than 5 times longer.
We had 2-30# (7 gallons) bottles on our 5th wheel, in extreme cold we'd go through a bottle in 3-5 days, I got the 100# which lasted just over a month, same weather, same tstat setting.
If it were very cold where you were to be (like the Michigan UP) the 100 gallon might be the best bet, but in West Texas the original fill & possibly once more should get you through the winter, they do not credit you for unused left in the tank.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
5J's

One thing I'll mention is don't leave your drain valve open unless you're in a park model. The drain valve for the black tank should be left closed and opened when you need to drain the tank. Dealing with the consequences of a black drain valve being left open when in use for extended periods is a crappy job.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:06 AM   #13
gearhead

I don't have a lot of cold camping experience but will share what worked for me. Try to strike a balance between using the furnace and electric heaters. As stated you need the furnace to kick on occasionally to keep the basement water lines usable. How often to run the furnace will be a guess. Maybe start with adjusting the thermostat for one cycle every 30 minutes. I have also used old fashioned "trouble lights" with 75 watt bulbs plugged into the basement storage outlets to add heat. If you get well above freezing during the day maybe back off a bit but don't get behind the curve and have to play catch up when you get off work late in the afternoon.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:25 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

31F this morning here in the Hill Country. Imagine a bit cooler other places. Kind of makes me feel global warming isn't much of a threat this week, anyway! In any case, you can buy vinyl skirting for your 5ver or do it yourself:

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/skirting-rv/

One comment in the write up mentioned using a 500W light under their skirted tailer. I use a 75W incandescent lightbulb in a drop cord in my pass through storage area with the laundry door open. Not sure if this helps but it usually doesn't see the cold temps you might see out where you are.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:39 AM   #15
gearhead

About 80 in Charleston SC today. The front is coming through tonight.
I did turn my water off at home before we left though.
To the original poster....Let us know how you survive this first cold blast.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
mj5150

We're starting winter number three in our Raptor full time.
According to the man who fills our propane tank, the all season package makes a difference as he doesn't fill our tank as often as other customers he has living in their fifth wheel too.
Speaking of, if you're there long term get a larger propane tank delivered and set up. We spent the first two years running back and forth to the cheapest propane dealer in town filling our two small tanks all the time. That was a hassle in the winter, and always having to wonder or worry if it would run out was no fun either.
We opted to get a hose heater for the fresh water line and wrap our hose with that and insulation. The heated hoses are nice, but they were much more expensive, and it only took 10 minutes to get the hose wrapped. Plus, now that I wrapped it in insulation, it's protected from the elements year around.
We use the furnace most of the time. The fireplace helps for ambient heat as others mentioned. Since I work from home, we got a small space heater for the garage since that is my office.
So far, we haven't been cold any winter and it's gotten down to the teens and single digits a few times. Yeah, it's cold by the walls and windows, so we stay away from those when it's cold.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Just looked at the OP's profile and he ain't been on for two weeks so doubt there is much point in posting to this thread for his sake. Of course, "when I was a lad" stories of tromping through 7 feet of snow to buy a loaf of bread in town (3 miles away) are always entertaining!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Or walking 2 miles in the snow "uphill in both directions" to go to school.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just looked at the OP's profile and he ain't been on for two weeks so doubt there is much point in posting to this thread for his sake. Of course, "when I was a lad" stories of tromping through 7 feet of snow to buy a loaf of bread in town (3 miles away) are always entertaining!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Or walking 2 miles in the snow "uphill in both directions" to go to school.
While wearing shoes with a hole in the sole and cardboard inserts to keep out the snow, no hat, no mittens, a fall coat that was a size too small and pants with patches on the knees..... (but Mama made sure we had a good breakfast and packed us a wholesome lunch).... OOPS: That lunch was stolen by the bears that chased us as we ran "uphill all the way"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While wearing shoes with a hole in the sole and cardboard inserts to keep out the snow, no hat, no mittens, a fall coat that was a size too small and pants with patches on the knees..... (but Mama made sure we had a good breakfast and packed us a wholesome lunch).... OOPS: That lunch was stolen by the bears that chased us as we ran "uphill all the way"....
I concede, you win!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter