Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
Royalwapiti

Winterize 255RKS

I plan to drive the 80 miles to my RV is this weekend to winterize it. It is a 2011 Sprinter 255rks. Everything I have read indicates there are two types of connectors for the water pump. You disconnect the inflow and connect a hose to your RV antifreeze. Two kinds of hoses/fittings.

1) quick coupler and 2) just unscrews. The quick coupler is for Flojet pumps.

Just so I am prepared for when I get there, does Keystone Sprinter use the same type pump for all makes styles? and what kind is it? I don't want to have to run around the area looking for a quick connect if that's what it is. The other coupler I can buy at the hardware store.

Then I have to find the pump...lol

Thanks

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

In April of this year you posted that you "just bought a Sprinter..." and in this post, you indicate that it's a 2011 Sprinter. That suggests that you're not the original owner and that you bought the trailer used. To me, that means that there's no way to know whether the water pump is the OEM pump or if the previous owner may have changed it and "upgraded" to a better pump of a different brand....

That said, Sprinter typically has either a FloJet or a ShurFlo pump. FloJet uses a "snap ring fitting" to connect to the plumbing and ShurFlo uses a "threaded fitting" to connect to the plumbing. Neither is "compatible with the other style fitting" so without knowing, you'd need to have both a FloJet fitting and a Threaded fitting to be sure that you have the necessary means to connect a suction hose to the inlet side of the water pump.

As to "finding the pump" just turn it on and follow the sound. You'll find the general location and then search for an access panel or a false front. You may need to remove a drawer or open a cabinet and remove a partition to gain access to the actual pump location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Royalwapiti

OK so Sprinters could have either type of pump. Thanks

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Old 10-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalwapiti View Post
OK so Sprinters could have either type of pump. Thanks
It's more that the original owner may have replaced the pump and switched brands. Mine is 2011 and I've changed pumps/brands.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Royalwapiti

As I mentioned the RV is in a smaller town 80 miles from my house so I bought a few plastic fittings that would fit a ShurFlo pump (didn't see any of the flojet quad connectors at the home box store) and took some tools and hose and went out there. Finding the Pump proved to be the hardest part. I could hear it behind a partition but no direct easy way to get to it. I had to undo about 8 screws to remove the panel.

After seeing what kind of pump it was, Flojet, I called the only RV store in the area, Yes they had the winterizing kit for Flojet pumps. Great, but just on a whim I stopped at the farm store which was much closer.

I found a Fimco farm sprayer kit with 3 connectors that looked just like what I needed. All three had quick connect end but each had a different sized barbed end. cost $7.

There was no way I was going to buy anything at the RV store for less than $7 so I bought it and went to try it. Perfect fit.

Took my 3 gallons of RV antifreeze out and had my wife turn on the pump and the far front sink, then we did the other faucets (I did water heater bypass earlier in the day). In all applying the antifreeze took about 5 minutes and used almost all 3 gallons. I added the rest of the antifreeze to traps and drains.

Just wanted to follow up if someone is in a remote area and does not have the Flojet quick connector, they may find one at a farm store that has Fimco Ag sprayer parts.

2011 Sprinter 255RKS
Old 10-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Just so you know, another way of approaching it is to drain the fresh water tank. Then put a compressed air nipple on the city water connector and use a compressor to blow out the lines. This is after the hot water tank is drained, etc. I dump some antifreeze into the drains so it fills the pee traps and into the toilet so there is some in there are well (I make sure the gray tanks(s) and black are drained prior of course.) Last thing I do is turn on a 75W incandescent bulb in the pass through to keep things a bit warm near my plumbing in the event a disaster occurs and it drops down below 32F. Guess we can get away with less winterizing here in the Garden of Eden where it doesn't freeze all that often.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
(snip)Last thing I do is turn on a 75W incandescent bulb in the pass through to keep things a bit warm near my plumbing in the event a disaster occurs and it drops down below 32F. Guess we can get away with less winterizing here in the Garden of Eden where it doesn't freeze all that often.
We are supposed to have an overnight low temp of 5F on Thursday in Florissant, Co. We actually cancelled reservations at Trinidad State Park because of the cold weather (supposed to get down to 17F thhere) and snow forecast. I guess our first trip in the Bullet will be next year. If there is one thing I will not do, it is pulling a big trailer on snow!

I did install a Camco bypass on the inlet side of the Flojet pump by cutting into the hose. I had to get some fittings and clamps and a longer antifreeze hose but it was no big deal.

Tags
winter, winterize