Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
pol1122

Question Manuevering a 36'er

Ok, today I took my 36' 5er to a nearby school parking lot with some cones to practice backing up. I did ok only hit the cones twice. My problems is I space the cones to the width about a single lane road backed in to space from the leftside, to see back of the trailer, into a space of what a normal campsite would be. My front of the T V always seems to exceed the single lane width, if there were actual other RVers on the opposite side I would have probably hit some one with the front of my T V. So anyone have and tips like when to start cutting the wheel or how far away from your point of turning should you start and should you be position more or less to oneside of the lane. Help!
pol1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Scottinvt

It took a lot for our 34' cougar to turn. My wife would always spot me backing in. I also got a lot of pointers from truckers I know !! Pick a truckers brain for sure
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
RCrawler

Mostly, it just takes practice and experience. The more you get of either, the better you will get at it.

It always helps to have a good spotter with eyes on the opposite corner that you can't see. It will give you a couple less things to worry about. I position myself where I can back into a spot with the trailer going to the left whenever possible and position myself more on the side that I'm backing into. (If I'm backing towards the left, I more on the LH side of the main road when I start.)This will give you some manuever room with the front of the TV. When I'm backing into a spot, I concentrate on where I want the trailer wheels to go, not necessarily the trailer itself. There's a certain point where you can pivot the trailer and get the wheels on the perfect line to back straight in. Once you get it pointed that way, then catch up with the TV to straighten it out. May take a couple of back and forths to get it lined up. If you're on your own, don't be afraid to jump out and look as much as you need.
I got some Uniden 2 way radios ( hunting communication) for Christmas. Since my truck is pretty loud, it will make hearing my wife a whole lot easier if I don't have her in sight.

Are you trying to cut a complete 90 deg back in? Most of well thought out campgrounds are angled and are pretty easy MOST OF THE TIME. They have it figured out what fits where.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
pol1122

Thanks for the tips.
pol1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
jbsmith

I'm feeling your pain! We went from a 24-ft bumper pull to the 36-ft fifth wheel. It literally took me longer to get it into the driveway than it did to get home from the dealer.

The best recommendation I can give is to ensure you have a reliable spotter that understands what is required when backing your trailer and how to give you clear direction. Bless her heart, but my DW has no concept of distance or direction. We've had some really interesting conversations over the handheld radios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Str8shooter

I also practiced at a high school parking lot with cones last summer and it helped greatly. I'll likely practice again this year. Although I looked forward to towing and learning how to back our 5'er, also 36', it took me some time to get to a point I was comfortable backing up. Keeping my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and turning it in the direction I want the back of the trailer to go is a big help.

During August the past two years we take the camper to an older RV park at the Central Coast and every space is a 90 degree back in. What a challenge! Narrow roads with the front of each camper maxed out to the front of each space. There are always nice folks who mean well and want to help but. . .

At one time I found a video online showing great views of a fifth wheel backing into a 90 degree space but have never found it again. It showed the best approach angle to the space and pivoting point for the camper wheels. If someone in the forum knows the link to such a video please share it with us.

Good luck.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
allentx1

Our biggest issue backing in to the spots we camp at is the trees overhanging the site. I have gotten better about the back in part but the trees are always too close for comfort. I had a "helper" at one campground who spent all the time watching the wheels of the trailer. I finally stopped and looked... I was hitting the tree limbs. My DW knows exactly what to do including always positioning herself where she can see my mirror, either side. Took a while to get into a rythym, but now I feel less anxious when we arrive. Also, VERY important, just as the other posters have said, it's not a race and there is no shame in pulling forward and starting over. Unless they are a trucker, no one will think twice if you try it again. They will laugh if you hit something and I find it personally amusing to hear the "discussions" between driver and spotter.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
It literally took me longer to get it into the driveway than it did to get home from the dealer.
Glad to know it wasn't only me...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
mhs4771

Yep, a 5er is a lot different than a bumper pull. Part of the secret is once you get the 5er headed in the right direction, get the TV to follow. It's much easier to pull ahead a little if need be prevent getting into the jack knife position. Plus once you get into that 90 degree perfect spot, pull straight ahead a few feet then backup straight to unload the tires from that side force they encountered during that 90 degree.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Hunter757

I went from a 21ft 5er to a 34ft more like 36' and yes it take pratice and a great spotter that know's where to stand so you can see them and they can see where the 5er is heading. We have only been out a handfull of times with our's and it still takes a few times to get it just right.

I to love to camp where there are tree's and you always need to watch the limbs even when leaving I have found our camper leaning on unlevel gravel roads with pot holes as we leave the campground and only inches to spare as I can pucker really hard.....lol.

Bottom line take your time and get some two way radios if needed this way your yelling at your DW with the whole CG watching. We have all seen them

Happy Camping and enjoy.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Mighty Ming

Practice practice practice. We use our cell phones to spot each other. Hand held walkie talkies require a free hand for the driver. I just put on my blue tooth device (sometimes the DW does too) and got both hands to drive and If needed I can use my other hand to return the DWs obscene gestures back at her LOL. Sure gets interesting sometimes. Also no yelling back and forth... at least not out loud for other campers to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
RCrawler

I don't need to talk, just be able to listen on a 2 way most of the time. Just tell me when I need to stop or reposition.

Getting mine backed into the driveway is more of a pain than any campsite I've ever been in. My house sits downhill, at an angle on a triangular lot with a stepped flower bed on the RH side (4 sections, 18" drop each). The driveway is approx a 20 deg downslope. I basically back down it blind knowing where the edge of the flowerbed is. Once I break over, I have to be angled just right to get onto the side of the garage. I have about 12' between the eave of the garage and an angled concrete block wall, that for some reason, the previous owner decided to curve it around to meet the driveway. I get the LH trailer wheels off the low end of the wall and pivot it in to be parallel to the wall and behind the curved part. Our last trip out, we got home after dark which made for a nice little challenge.

I have to say that my wife is an awesome spotter/ co pilot. We work really good together. I tell her where I want it to be and she gets me there. She knows what I'm thinking before I can say it. Never yell or get upset with each other. When hooking up a trailer, it's always quick and easy. I could do it on my own, but I wouldn't want to if I had a choice. Wish everything in a relationship went as smooth.

Jason

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
hankaye

pol1122, Howdy;

You'll find that the greater the distance from the pivot (king-pin),
to the trailer axels the easier it is to manouver. The reaction time
is slower. Ever try to back-up a utility trailer behind a lawn mower????
If so you'll already be aware of how much easier it is to back-up your previous trailer.
Just take it slow and easy. Make small corrections. Did I mention, take it slow and easy ???
You shouldn't have any problems...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

To rccrawler!!! thank you i will never complain about backing my 5er into it's spot by my garage again. I too have to go down hill, the cut is so steep i have to revome the spare or i get hung up plus a turn and a retaining wall 2ft on my left garage 4 inches on my right. I LOVE MY WIFE!! without her i wouldn't have a camper or a garage lol but i think yours is worse
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Trixie47

Our new Avalanche 330RE is 38' 11" and I am so intimidated by the fact of backing it in. We have reservations for our first outing next month.......for a super pull-thru !! Would really like to be able to take some kind of course on how to back these things in so I won't be the camps joke the first time I have to do this !! Guess I will just have to laugh with them !!
4x4 Turbo Diesel DRW
Husky Brake Controller

Trixie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
To rccrawler!!! thank you i will never complain about backing my 5er into it's spot by my garage again. I too have to go down hill, the cut is so steep i have to revome the spare or i get hung up
The first time out, I had the bumper extended. Going up the driveway, it drug a little and pretty much wiped out the bottom of the tire cover. With the bike rack on now, I have to slide it in and then pull up top and load my last little bit onto the slide out. Since we haven't gone far with it yet, I've been leaving the spare in the garage.

Jason

Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
allentx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie47 View Post
Our new Avalanche 330RE is 38' 11" and I am so intimidated by the fact of backing it in. We have reservations for our first outing next month.......for a super pull-thru !! Would really like to be able to take some kind of course on how to back these things in so I won't be the camps joke the first time I have to do this !! Guess I will just have to laugh with them !!
Trixie47 - Most of us go find an empty parking lot like a Walmart or school and practice. Just getting a feeling for the distance and speed at which these things turn will help. Don't worry about being a joke to the campers, we have all been there. It will be nerve racking but keep in mind speed is not the goal, not damaging your +$50K trailer and likely as expensive truck. Go take some practice laps.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
CampJKL

Just read through the thread... Yup I went from nadda to 36'... Fun stuff. I avoided back in sites for months in favor of any pull through I could find!

Ive got a superglide and I'm pretty comfortable with it now. Well me and the DW get a bit testy during some parking situations.. In fact this last weekend i had a tight tight spot... We tested the "... For better or worse.." clause!
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
Badboy

Thumbs up Backing In

I don't know about a fifth wheel,but 34 ft TT I can put in some tight positions 34 ft Cougar 31 RKS and I have put it in tight spots,it dose take practice though.It is not some thing that comes over night.good luck and happy camping.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
christopherglenn

When backing the trailer tires are the main thing that matters, the body of the trailer only needs to be watched to you don't hit anything. If you have the room, swing the rear of the trailer over grass, flowers, whatever - as long as you don't hit anything (including the ground).
I usually put the truck and trailer (tires) in the left third of the road, with the trailers tires in front of the pad, cut the truck to the right and pull up till the truck is on the right shoulder, cut back to the left while still moving forward (slowly) to see where the trailer is. Repeat till the trailer points tward the spot. With the trailer now pointing tward the spot, and the truck parallel with the street, start backing and see where the trailer goes. You will find the wider the street, the closer to the spot you start backing (as you are at a sharper angle to the street when you start). You want the trailer tires at the closest edge they can be when you leave the street, as you continue to back up they will move farther from the left edge of the spot. If the road is really narrow, (again, don't hit anything) back the truck up too far (a few feet), the last few feet as cut the wheel to the left - this wll strighten up the truck, then cut to the right and pull forward a few feet, repeat. What you are doing is rocking the trailer tires front to rear 3 to 6 feet, while not really moving them side to side - and moving the front of the truck from the side to in front of the trailer - with the hitch staying in more or less the same place. Once you are in front of the trailer you can move it deeper in the spot and start to play with fine tuning the side to side in the spot. You need to be VERY careful of the rear of the trailer (as it moves side to side ALOT! and the front right side of the trailer, you can't see it at all.

If you have to blind side (back with the trailer on your right) you need several spotters, as all you will see is the front of the trailer, and almost nothing to help in the mirrors.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote