Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
rick-eureka

Have the Weber Q2200. Love it. Cooks 4 large steaks with no problem.
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #22
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I kinda thought about all portable grills were setup for using LP from a 20-30lb tank. What did you have to convert as that's the reason I thought that RV manufacturers put the aux LP connection on the coach. At least that's what they advertise. Am I missing something??
The Weber came equipped with a built-in regulator and it used 1 pound propane bottles, you can buy a hose that will allow you to attach the regulator to the standard 25 & 30 pound propane tanks.

The camper gas system is low pressure, so I took the built-in regulator off the Weber and replaced it with a quick connect fitting, that I connect to the trailer with a 10 foot hose.

-Brian
Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #23
KCSA75

They are kind of pricey, but this is the best grill I've ever owned. The burner is stainless steel. It's probably seven or eight years old. It gets used a lot and still works great. This spring, I brought the burner home from the camper, threw it in a sink of soapy water for a couple hours. Then I used a tooth pick to punch the remaining stuff out of each hole. Works like new.
https://justportablegrills.com/reviews/o-grill-3000/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	o-grill-portable-lp-gas-grill-c.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	14166  
Attached Images

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
zuley

Chuckling to myself as I read the posts here. I've made it a mission to make the POS that came with our 23RB last as long as I can. It probably retailed at CW for about 38.95 but it has been a great little que. 4 full seasons now since new and hopefully one more before we send if off to BBQ heaven. I've got a Sea B Que packed away in my basement from out boating days that I intend to reserect once this one packs it in. Have to figure out a way to bypass the regulator though. We'll make it work.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #25
Stalker541

We went through many grills and for as many we have toss in the trash we should have saved up and bought this the first time. The Green mountain grill/smoker and never look back.

Last weekend we smoked ribs.

Set the temperature and time then your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stalker541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #26
Jackstraw

Webber Big Joe is awesome. It is their smallest stand alone grill but with a table top stand. Also has a metal loop that holds the lid in place when not in use.
Jackstraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #27
Rkice14

While it's not a table top it is a portable free standing grill that is easy to collapse and set up. It also cooks pretty good. There are several "options" for it but I haven't seen them at my Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/STOK-Grid...50HD/206467951
Rkice14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #28
Rosewood

With the outside kitchen on the FW, I wanted something that would hook up to the onboard tanks if required.
I bought a Camp Chef 90 (Three burner stove) and BBQ box.
The stove came with a preseasoned cast iron reversible grill / griddle. Used it both mornings last weekend; pancakes and bacon one day, sausage and fried eggs the other.
A quick swap of the line and I can plug right into the low pressure line on the trailer. No more extra tanks to haul around.
My wife calls this my "Mid Life Crisis"
I guess she thinks I'll live to be over 100.
Rosewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #29
Desert185

Another positive vote for the Weber Q. We have three of them and the BIL has one after returning a Costco stainless table top that caught everything being cooked on fire. Happy with all four.

The most common issue seems to be with the mandated OPD valves on the bottles. Open them slowly or they reduce the gas flow. To reset, disconnect the hose and drop them from face level on the ground a few times. The shock resets the valve.

These gas grills also burn hotter at sea level, so a higher elevation may result in a bit lower heat output. My Webers have never let me down because of their design.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Another positive vote for the Weber Q. We have three of them and the BIL has one after returning a Costco stainless table top that caught everything being cooked on fire. Happy with all four.

The most common issue seems to be with the mandated OPD valves on the bottles. Open them slowly or they reduce the gas flow. To reset, disconnect the hose and drop them from face level on the ground a few times. The shock resets the valve.

These gas grills also burn hotter at sea level, so a higher elevation may result in a bit lower heat output. My Webers have never let me down because of their design.
Sounds like you have lots of experience with the Weber Q's so let me ask;

I've owned Webers before but backyard grills. I initially intended to buy a Q but found it had a 12,000 btu burner. I had another brand at the time with a 12k burner and hated it so I passed on the Q and bought a Coleman NexTrip because it had 20k burners. At the time they were about the same price, now the Coleman is substantially cheaper than the Weber. It's also pretty hard to moderate the heat on the Coleman which is aggravating at times. I like the portability and the versatility with the different burner plates but I'm thinking of getting a Weber. I see most of them sitting on a table and I don't like that...I like portable but I also like good, easy to use cooking.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #31
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sounds like you have lots of experience with the Weber Q's so let me ask;

I've owned Webers before but backyard grills. I initially intended to buy a Q but found it had a 12,000 btu burner. I had another brand at the time with a 12k burner and hated it so I passed on the Q and bought a Coleman NexTrip because it had 20k burners. At the time they were about the same price, now the Coleman is substantially cheaper than the Weber. It's also pretty hard to moderate the heat on the Coleman which is aggravating at times. I like the portability and the versatility with the different burner plates but I'm thinking of getting a Weber. I see most of them sitting on a table and I don't like that...I like portable but I also like good, easy to use cooking.
I find the Weber Q’s to be hot enough for steak and burgers or salmon on an alder plank and be adjustable enough to not burn chicken as it cooks a little slower. They engineered them so they don’t propagate flame when the lid is closed, unlike other brands like the one from Costco I mentioned.

I have a Weber Q OEM stand at home, but cook on a table when I’m on the road, and don’t have any issues with that.

What questions can I answer?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I find the Weber Q’s to be hot enough for steak and burgers or salmon on an alder plank and be adjustable enough to not burn chicken as it cooks a little slower. They engineered them so they don’t propagate flame when the lid is closed, unlike other brands like the one from Costco I mentioned.

I have a Weber Q OEM stand at home, but cook on a table when I’m on the road, and don’t have any issues with that.

What questions can I answer?

Many of the places we go don't have a "table" per se to put the grill on so that's why I like the built in stand/rollers. We carry a folding table made of polypropylene I imagine but doubt it would take the heat of a grill sitting on it. I've seen OEM stands for some of the Weber's.

Do you use the 1200, 2200 or? I like a larger grill so figure I would go with the 2200 if I can find all the doo dads to go with it. BTW, thanks for the info.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #33
Desert185

Ours usually goes on a poly, rollup table. Hasn’t affected it. Since we hook up to the onboard propane tanks via a QD, we are essentially tethered to near the trailer.

We bought them early on when they had a different designation, but the one we take with is is not the smallest, but the next one up. The one in AK is the smallest ones and goes camping with us in the airplane. We can cook for four easy enough, even when doing fresh salmon on a plank.

They all have the foldout shelves, which are really handy. I also use the Weber cover and just slide the unit into the basement on a cardboard produce box with 3-4” sides on it. I removed the regulator and installed a quick disconnect male to utilize a QD hose connection to the trailer. I also have another hose with a regulator/screw on connection for use with a propane bottle directly...screw into the bottle and QD to the Weber Q. Versatility...

I had a black bear tear one up here in NV. When I told Weber why I needed the parts and how much I liked their products (I also have a charcoal kettle for Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys), they sent me the parts for free. I’m sold on Webers.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:26 AM   #34
xrated

We've been using our Q1200 on a poly fold up table all year and it just does get hot enough on the bottom to affect the table. One time I turned it on to preheat before cooking and then got sidetracked talking to someone who came by our site to B.S. a little bit. By the time I noticed/remembered, it was up to an indicated 600 degrees or so. No issues with it damaging the table ....nothing.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:55 AM   #35
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
We've been using our Q1200 on a poly fold up table all year and it just does get hot enough on the bottom to affect the table. One time I turned it on to preheat before cooking and then got sidetracked talking to someone who came by our site to B.S. a little bit. By the time I noticed/remembered, it was up to an indicated 600 degrees or so. No issues with it damaging the table ....nothing.
One negative a I have noticed with letting it heat like that is that the the cast aluminum legs of the lower “clamshell” tend to melt into the plastic leg support. There are four screws, one at each leg that allow removal and replacement of the plastic leg support. You’ll notice a sagging of the screws into the plastic.

I wait until the grill begins to smoke off the grill residue greases before putting the food on it. If you wait, say another ten minutes, the aluminum clamshell get’s really hot and the melting sag begins. Not a big deal if you’re aware of it. It takes repeated overheating cycles for the process to advance.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #36
ptooti

this is what we have I like the way it stores easily and clean https://www.amazon.com/Toolbox-Pro-S...GJ4V23JVZBN91D
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #37
xrated

Quote:
One negative a I have noticed with letting it heat like that is that the the cast aluminum legs of the lower “clamshell” tend to melt into the plastic leg support. There are four screws, one at each leg that allow removal and replacement of the plastic leg support. You’ll notice a sagging of the screws into the plastic.

I wait until the grill begins to smoke off the grill residue greases before putting the food on it. If you wait, say another ten minutes, the aluminum clamshell get’s really hot and the melting sag begins. Not a big deal if you’re aware of it. It takes repeated overheating cycles for the process to advance.
Thanks for the heads up....I'll keep an eye on it. I don't normally let it heat up that much, but I got a little distracted that time.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote