Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
gappa33

Looking at buying a (new to us) keystone

As the title states, my wife and I are planning on upgrading from our 95 gulf stream, to a 13 Keystone Laredo 293sbh. We have spent a lot of time looking and this is the best floor plan for us with the bunk house to accommodate our 2 english mastiffs. Anyways, we fell in love with the camper and we put an offer on it and are supposed to pick it up next weekend. Now I decided to do a little more research this weekend and everything I read for Keystone is bad. Very Very few good things said. We did look at it with the slides out and pouring rain, and no signs of leaking. Should I stay away? Whats everyones thoughts, or advice?

Thanks, Ryan
gappa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!
When you go looking on the interweb for anything, you'll find many more people complaining than praising.

I work on RV's and have seen many different brands. There are good and bad ones in every price range. I've done a "get ready" on a new $15,000.00 trailer and found zero issues, an hour later started a get ready on a $325,000.00 motorhome and found 33 MAJOR issues.

In the end if YOUR happy with it, nothing leaks and everything works, your doing good. I own a Keystone and yes I would buy another one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
gappa33

That's what we wanted to hear. It's a very nice camper and in great shape. Thanks for the response!
gappa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
mtofell

I'm coming up on 2 years with my Keystone Hideout and it's been about what I expected - a cheaply made product that works generally as advertised that I enjoy greatly. Go in with your eyes open and don't expect champagne when you're paying for beer.

If you really dig into all the complainers they usually have a real issue or two and then start listing every screw that is loose and piece of molding that is off color.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A poll that was done on this forum about the same time as your trailer was being manufactured. Of those who responded, 318 indicated they would buy another Keystone and 33 indicated they would not. That's almost 91% indicating satisfaction with Keystone trailers from around the time frame your "new to you" Laredo was produced. I'd say, as others have already said, go in with your eyes open, realize you're purchasing a 4 year old RV. Expect some problems, but overall, if it doesn't leak, all the "big systems" are functional and you're satisfied with the trailer, then enjoy your new purchase and don't put a lot of credibility in all those "I've got an axe to grind" posts.....

You can read the comments from the poll here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=poll

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Most people who do not have problems do not post about their great experience because they are busy enjoying their rig. Enjoy yours as well. Sounds like you've found a gem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
Tbos

I have a Passport 2810 and while it hasn't been trouble free they have been relatively minor. Enjoy your new rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
mcmeadows1

My wife and I purchased, from Camping World of Tucson, our RV in May of this year. It is a 2011 Keystone Cougar 293SAB. The only issue we had with it was the backflow preventer for the black tank flush, and the dealer replaced it without any delay, once I brought it their attention.

Otherwise, all the RV’s systems are working, and it has no leaks. Actually, the previous owner(s) took excellent care of the unit. Both the interior and exterior of the unit are in great shape, with very little signs of wear and tear. Obviously, we cannot know how many miles are on the unit, but in July we towed it for 3,000 miles and had absolutely no problems with it. It towed beautifully and exceeded our expectations. We even had people ask us if it was a new unit!

Maintenance is the key for ensuring any RV lives up to its fullest potential, so if the unit you are considering has been well maintained, and not abused, I say ‘Go for it!’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #9
Vet4jdc

Buy the Keystone. You need to keep in mind that many reviews of items on this and any forum are going to typically be negative in nature. Keystone, like many other RV manufacturers, builds a solid unit. They have issues yes, but you are dragging your house, furniture, kitchen and bathroom down the road at 60 mph. Things will break and you will fix them. Don't be discouraged by the negative feedback that you get on any camper. Its the nature of a forum.

Always remember, people that have positive feedback aren't on here telling us......they are out there enjoying their camper!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
CamperDave

Ditto to what has previously been stated.

I bought mine brand new in March of this year and to be fair, yes, I have had some little things I did not like about the quality or design (that's just me). Overall, most everything works as it should. Would I buy another Keystone? Who knows.. Not all are bad, yes, there will be things that will need to be fixed here and there. If you like it and its in great condition, go for it. Someone may have a screw that fell out or a crooked piece of trim and deemed the whole thing as garbage. Those are easy fixes and no big deal in my book.

Best of luck to you.

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
MarcS

We've had our Passport just over a year, love it so far. Been camping over 50 nights in it at various State Parks throughout Michigan over that time. Yes, there are little quirks I have had to fix and some things that I am waiting until late fall or spring to tackle. I would buy another Keystone product.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
carwheel_09

Looking at buying a (new to us) keystone

[QUOTE=gappa33;256723]As the title states, my wife and I are planning on upgrading from our 95 gulf stream, to a 13 Keystone Laredo 293sbh. We have spent a lot of time looking and this is the best floor plan for us with the bunk house to accommodate our 2 english mastiffs. Anyways, we fell in love with the camper and we put an offer on it and are supposed to pick it up next weekend. Now I decided to do a little more research this weekend and everything I read for Keystone is bad. Very Very few good things said. We did look at it with the slides out and pouring rain, and no signs of leaking. Should I stay away? Whats everyones thoughts,
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone