Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
EVMIII

Alpine owners - where are the air filters located?

Front AC is not cooling effectively and I want to check the filter. Unfortunately I don't know where it is? Owners manual is not very helpful and the only paperwork I seem to have in my packet is for the Thermostat. Out this past weekend and the best it could do was 82 degrees. It was 95 out, but we've been out before when it was this hot and it held 75 with no problem. Luckily it was cool in the back for sleeping. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Javi

Generally they're in the inside cover...
Old 07-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Javi is right. You can usually just pop down the air intake cover and there it is. The 2nd AC on our trailer is a Dometic Penguin II. It has slide in air filters on each side with plastic brackets, but, I don't think the Penguins usually come as OE.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
rbev2308

There are two returns in the living room area where the filters are located. All the supply vents are 4 in round vents about 5 or so. Both of these filters seem to have no search part # that exists as Dometic says its a Keystone problem and Keystone refers you to Dometic. I simply removed mine and blew them out but that was not the real problem. These systems are not like your household systems which suck in outside air and run across coils. The air is pulled from within the unit so the key to success on a known hot day is to keep the blinds drawn, crank the thing down to 68-70 early in the morning and you can easily keep 74-75 in the late afternoon 90+ degree heat. If you wait till the thing is 74 or above and try and bring it down, it is not going to work unless you have the dual pane window option which I do not. You will then be pushing 78-80. Another good tip I learned is to open that fantastic fan vent when trying to remove some hot air early on since heat rises. In all honesty, the ac units that drop in and push air from the unit out its own one central vent, tend to work better in my opinion. I do like the two zone concept and I am outdoors most of the time so its no big deal and I am always comfortable when I want to sleep. These units are sealed so nothing you can do. I can tell you what a Dometic rep told me, if the air coming out of your supply vents is 18 degrees or more colder than the room or return temp, your unit is fine and nothing we can do!!! Good Luck!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote