Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
Pmedic4

Hitch removal

Me too, only when needed. I have a bedcover, which protects the hitch from the weather. Only take it out about 3 -4 times a year, once being over the winter. Also, take it out in two pieces, head and frame, making it more manageable, about 40 (?) pounds each piece.

Can still haul a few long boards/steel mostly, and if gravel, mulch or plywood my small utility trailer saves the truck bed from the beating.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #22
hankaye

Howdy All;

Pull safety pins, pull L-pins, Lift, wiggle, grunt, lift again,
waddle, waddle thud. Catch breath, Lift, grunt, waddle
waddle, thud. Catch breath again (I have COPD), make
a dramatic leap from tailgate to Mother Earth ... what???
it's a 4X4 that tailgate must be all of 3.5' up there! Grab it
with forearms under the parts what flair out the the sides
big grunt, .. waddle to designated storage spot. ease it to
about 1/2 way to Earth ... bombs away! Make sure toes and
clown shoes are out of harms way first ... don't ask.
Install is somewhat close to the reverse of removal.
At 66 I'm beginning to get to be to old to do this many more times.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #23
Desert185

Andersen, so loosen three bolts, remove one pin, lift 75# hitch out of bed, reverse gooseneck ball, done (no rails).
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin It View Post
I just flip the lever on top and pull the gooseneck ball out. Maybe 2 lbs
Awesome ain't it...I think my ball is 2.5 #'s though.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #25
5mary6

Well thank you!!!!

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 AM   #26
Hans Jr

I love our B&W 5th wheel adapter. Only had our 5er for half a year so far and havent had to take it out but twice for another truck to tow us while I had transmission issues. But the ease of one bolt and one pull pin underneath made it seamless. But how everyone explaining theirs it seems most are easy to take in and out. I guess the main benefit between the B&W and the others is the ability to pull the pin and add a few other tow hitches in the bed when not using the 5th wheel. ive used the gooseneck and 5th wheel so far. love it!
2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition II #12 of 500

Traveling the country one race track at a time!
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:57 AM   #27
Hans Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembones View Post
I just got mine so I haven't had to take it out yet. I asked a friend how he did his and he said he just pulls the pins in the bed and leaves it attached to the fifth wheel. He just raises it out with the trailer, drives off, and leaves it hanging on the trailer.
thats actually not a bad idea either. I may try that in a few weeks when we drop our 5er in georgia to go home to SoFla for 2 weeks next month.
2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition II #12 of 500

Traveling the country one race track at a time!
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #28
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mary6 View Post
I don't know a0out others, but I take my hitch out unless I'm towing. I know most people leave it in because it's heavy. Here's how I remove mine.Attachment 8614
No one else has mentioned this, so I may be wrong, but the hoist in the picture looks like the beam is extended beyond the safe lifting position. If it is, it is a accident waiting to happen.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #29
WaltBennett

My Curt 20k comes apart into two fairly equal weight pieces and isn't that hard to lift & move and I'm 71. When we're at a CG and I need to use the truck bed, I pull the bed pins and lift it off with the Montana, leaving it attached. Got to crawl around a bit, but it's not that difficult. To put it back, I lower it onto the truck bed, release it from the Montana, pull the truck forward & then move the hitch into place a little at a time - also not that hard to do.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #30
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post
No one else has mentioned this, so I may be wrong, but the hoist in the picture looks like the beam is extended beyond the safe lifting position. If it is, it is a accident waiting to happen.
Yep, gotta say it!!! You are wrong.

That's a Harbor Freight 2 Ton engine lift at its furthest extension and rated at that point for a 'whopping' half ton and quite a bit more then any RV hitch I've ever come across.

I have the same lift and it is a great tool though the hydraulic cylinder could be faster operating - it is only a $299 lift but always on sale for much less (I paid ~$160 plus $6.00 shipping for mine a year ago)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-c...ane-69514.html

PS - just pickin' on you, so don't take it 'wrong'
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Yep, gotta say it!!! You are wrong.

That's a Harbor Freight 2 Ton engine lift at its furthest extension and rated at that point for a 'whopping' half ton and quite a bit more then any RV hitch I've ever come across.

I have the same lift and it is a great tool though the hydraulic cylinder could be faster operating - it is only a $299 lift but always on sale for much less (I paid ~$160 plus $6.00 shipping for mine a year ago)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-c...ane-69514.html

PS - just pickin' on you, so don't take it 'wrong'
Are you sure????? I have the same lift and there's no "third" extension as shown in the picture in this thread. Mine has the boom and "ONE" extension that can be moved out to the "half ton" hole. When fully extended, my boom extension is still inside the wheels, not extended that far out. The reason I don't use it to lift my hitch is because it won't extend far enough to clear the tail gate to the hitch. I think Bowti may have spotted something that's not a part of the "HF package". Where did that extra extension come into play?

Here's the manual that came with mine. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69514.PDF Check #6 and #7 on the parts diagram. Those are the only two parts of the boom that came with mine. Did I not get all my parts?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #32
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Are you sure????? I have the same lift and there's no "third" extension as shown in the picture in this thread. Mine has the boom and "ONE" extension that can be moved out to the "half ton" hole. When fully extended, my boom extension is still inside the wheels, not extended that far out. The reason I don't use it to lift my hitch is because it won't extend far enough to clear the tail gate to the hitch. I think Bowti may have spotted something that's not a part of the "HF package". Where did that extra extension come into play?

Here's the manual that came with mine. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69514.PDF Check #6 and #7 on the parts diagram. Those are the only two parts of the boom that came with mine. Did I not get all my parts?????
John, you spotted the same thing I did. Also when you move these lifts, whatever is hanging from them can, and usually does swing a bit, moving the weight far beyond the front wheels. That is when disaster strikes.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #33
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Yep, after again looking at mine and that photo you both may be correct if indeed there was a third piece added to that arm. It will probably work fine and within the lifts limits, but for sure wouldn't be any kind of HF recommendation nor would it be something I would try then post a 'net forum site.

I still prefer my B&W @ 70 pounds/piece along with the few back muscles I have left and the 5 minutes or less it takes, in or out
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Back muscles, at my age are either "on strike" or "on break".... Either way, they just don't like it when I bend over and put them "to the task"... That's why I use the fork lift adapter on my front end loader. Let the hydraulics do the work, and with power steering, well.... Anyway, I'm not lifting my hitch out of the truck. It only weighs about 90 pounds, but the pins get stuck in the pucks and it takes some "jerking and wiggling" to get it free. Much easier just to slip the forks under it and pull back slowly on the lever.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #35
Dave W

Since I don't have a loader for my little diesel tractor, and by the time I get my chainfall rigged, the 8-1/2 foot wide truck backed through my 9' wide garage door, using my well aged 70+ vintage body will then be the easiest way and by far the fastest to pull that hitch. I tried using the last trailer as the 'winch' but where I park it, just wasn't happy about that way with a short bed. The LB truck might be easier, but I still have much of my creaky back capacity left. The hardest part is the B&W base and pulling it off the tailgate and placing it on the dolly. It's not the weight but the awkward way that you have to handle that part. So far this year (~Apr 15 ) that hitch has been on and off 4 times, if I recall correctly It will go back on again in early August for our yearly 3-5 week extended trip.

I do recall back in the mid '70s having a Holland hitch for my Kountry Aire that spanned the entire width of the truck box. Talk about heavy!! Awkward!! It was a scaled down tractor trailer unit
Old 06-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #36
Cougar1957

I leave my Reese 16K in the truck bed all camping season and only take it out for the winter. I can do it myself, but I do utilize my son to assist taking it off the tailgate and into garage if he's around. It is a bit heavy and unwieldy, but still doable for me at 57.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:16 AM   #37
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mary6 View Post
I don't know a0out others, but I take my hitch out unless I'm towing. I know most people leave it in because it's heavy. Here's how I remove mine.Attachment 8614
The following pictures show how I remove my hitch with minimal equipment.

I release the pins locking the hitch in the bed of the truck. I use a small short comealong strap to hold the back of the hitch level. Then I raise trailer a few inches and drive truck out from underneath.
The hitch is then lowered onto the home built 2x4 support until it tightens up slightly.
I was told by PullRight that this is acceptable, just not to leave the full wait of the hitch hanging on the pin box.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150623_172433.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	8900   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150623_172440.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	8901   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150623_172450.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	8902  
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 AM   #38
Bowti

Nice idea.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
Old 06-25-2015, 05:31 AM   #39
gkainz

We switched from a Valley 16k to the Andersen Ultimate aluminum hitch (35 lbs) when our new to us TV came with a gooseneck ball. I really wanted a clean, flat box when the hitch is removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andersen1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	8903  
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #40
Mates Family

I mounted a small electric cable winch to the rafters in my garage. It lifts the hitch very easily and I just drive out from underneath. I lower it on to a small cart with wheels and push it in to the corner. Works great.
Mates Family is offline   Reply With Quote