Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Javi

The saga of Javi's Cougar 333MKS

Just thought I'd report that we have spent 18 nights in the trailer and towed it a total of 1513 miles since we picked it up from the dealer on October 17, 2014. We have camped in 20F to 90F temps and in rain and shine and this past week in 100% humidity for 7 nights.

During this time everything has worked as it should and nothing has broken, loosened, fell off or worn out. All valves are labeled correctly, nothing has leaked, not even the roof or slides, the control panel and remote work great and we absolutely love the Level Up system.

We had slide awnings added at the dealer and we love them, and would never own another trailer without them.

The only mods we've done so far have been blocking off the washer water lines, and adding the Winegard Wingman to the OEM Sensar antenna.

I'm ordering LED bulbs today so I can get that out of the way and I'm thinking of adding a second MaxxAir fan for the bath to replace the little standard vent fan. The trailer came with one MaxxAir installed in the living area and running it this past week has made me a believer...

Just to let y'all know I attribute most of this to two things...

Firstly... A great dealer who employs good people that pay attention to details and who still have pride in their work; something sorely lacking in our last dealer experience... There are even metal valve stems in the tires... don't know if that's standard or not but it's a nice touch and I have yet to have to add air to a single tire (even the spare)

And secondly..... a whole bunch of really good luck...

Happy and safe travels....
Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Javi -
Thanks for sharing your positive experience - a refreshing post on Mother's Day - and just in time to give me hope that there is someone at Keystone who actually knows what label to put on which valve. A little early but, yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just thought I'd report that we have spent 18 nights in the trailer and towed it a total of 1513 miles since we picked it up from the dealer on October 17, 2014. We have camped in 20F to 90F temps and in rain and shine and this past week in 100% humidity for 7 nights.

And secondly..... a whole bunch of really good luck...

Happy and safe travels....
Luck. One of the prime ingredients for success during our mortal stay on this planet.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Javi

Festus, I really do attribute most of our positive experience to the dealer and his employees... I worked in the RV business back in the early 80's for a dealer who would bend over backward to make his customers happy. And I could recognize another such dealer when I met this one.

We spent several hours on two separate occasions looking at this particular trailer before ever buying it and I looked at everything about it with a mechanics eye. I saw the flaws and I saw the dings and loose hinges, loose connections and ill fitted doors long before I made any deal. I never said a thing about any of it to anyone except the DW, and actually told the dealer that I'd buy it during a phone call.

I gave them two weeks to get it ready and install the slide awnings, when we arrived on the appointed day I asked to take a final look at the trailer before we signed the papers. At this time NO MONEY had changed hands, not even a deposit... everything was done on our word... Mine that I would buy it if satisfied and his that it would be ready to go..

There was no hesitation on his part to an inspection and he quickly walked us out to the trailer. Our walk through was pretty quick and I think he was somewhat put back by the fact that I was the one who rushed it.. But I already knew what I wanted to see and I wasn't surprised to find every single ding, loose hinge and door fixed or adjusted.

I tested every appliance, asked where the water pump and water heater were located and where the access panels were.. They went right to them and showed me not only the location but took the panels off to show me the equipment. I reached in and checked the fittings and saw a little grin on the mechanics face as I did... He had already been there and done the same.

Afterward we went back to the office and signed the papers and writing the check for the down payment. After finishing the paperwork I got a chance to visit with the mechanic one on one without his boss and he told me how surprised he was to see me go to every flaw that he had found and look directly at it.. I then told him that I had once BEEN HIM... He laughed and said... I thought you might have been, by the way you went over the trailer..

From my past experiences with dealers and mechanics, folks like this are few and far between... There needs to be more of them
Old 05-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Javi, It is always great to hear positive posts. I think giving the dealer's name for a little recognition would be appropriate. JM2¢, Hank ...... Enjoy your new Cougar for many safe miles!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Steve S

Excellent post Javi, I'm happy to hear that everything is going well for you and you have a great relationship with your dealer.
I wish you the best and hope all your camping experiences go well
Old 05-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Excellent post Javi, I'm happy to hear that everything is going well for you and you have a great relationship with your dealer.
I wish you the best and hope all your camping experiences go well
Steve, that's the neat thing about this dealer... I really don't have a relationship as such with these folks.. I talked to them four times before we bought. Once in January of '14 and once in September of '14 then the first week of October '14 and a couple of days later on the phone when I said get it ready; at no time did we talk for more than a few minutes. In fact I doubt the entire sum of time with him was less than 2 1/2 hours including the walk thru and signing.

I told him what I wanted, and what I had to trade. He gave me a price and what he'd trade for... he was surprised that I wanted to put some cash down, but refused a deposit.. Only asking if my word was good..

We have not seen him since picking up the trailer, and have not even spoken to him since. When we left that day he handed me a card with his cell # hand written on the back and said.. Text me if you need anything... If I don't hear from you, I will know everything is good..

I did give him a good review on their FB page...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
gearhead

That's the way it ought to be!
Congrats on the new 5th.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
That's the way it ought to be!
Congrats on the new 5th.
Thanks, we really enjoy the trailer and the new pickup.. now I got to pay for them...
Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
grampscamper

Javi, it's refreshing to read a post like this. It seems to be much more common to read posts of poor service.
Thankfully there are still some good dealers like you describe.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

We hear so many "bad trailer reports" but seldom hear of the "good trailer" so it's great to hear that Javi's Cougar is doing so well.

As for the "bad trailer reports", when you consider that Keystone produced more RV last year than we have members on this forum (17,113 currently) I'd suspect that the majority of "new owners" and even "previously purchased owners" are out enjoying their "trouble free RV" rather than looking for a place online to "unload their problems". If the percentage of "bad trailers" was greater, we'd have a lot more new members looking to complain !!!!!

Seems that if there's no reason to complain, most people simply don't have time to go "searching online" for a solution to a problem, they are just "out there enjoying their RV" and have no complaints to voice.

As for dealerships, Javi has again illustrated that it's not the factory, but the dealer that is responsible for making a successful purchase even nicer by taking care of the "little things" before the RV ever reaches the final owner's hands. That kind of dealership is the key to a "happy camper". Even in the situation where the black tank/gray tank decals are in the wrong place, a good dealer would have fixed it BEFORE the new owner ever pulled the first handle..... Just sayin'............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Javi

That's exactly my point John, a good dealer with good mechanics will check the trailer out from stem to stern and repair, adjust, replace and test every system, every appliance, every drawer and every door. They check the lug nuts, and air the tires if needed...

They make sure everything works as it should BEFORE handing the RV to the customer and when the customer leaves the lot both the DEALER and the CUSTOMER are satisfied that the RV is everything it should be...

Dealers who do not give this level of service are doing nothing less than stealing or defrauding their customers. but that's just my opinion.. other's may vary... but I've dealt with both kinds
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Javi, you do illustrate what I've said many times before on this forum....the dealer makes a world of difference. It's very difficult to convince a buyer that in fact Keystone delivers a good product if the dealer doesn't even check it out. On the flip side, it's very difficult, if not impossible, for the manufacturer to send out a unit that is flawless every time with a price tag that people are willing to pay.

I had the same experience. They would not deliver my unit until they had repaired all the items THEY had identified. Upon walkthru, with this PDI, I had about 3-4 minor items I wanted fixed (tiny things). When received EVERY item had been corrected, woodwork finished out, nail holes filled and stained (probably stained filler) etc. The items on our trailer that failed later were manufacturer design flaws that no one, me or the dealer, could know about. They have bent over backwards to fix them and intercede for me with Keystone. I don't know what more you could ask.

Your post is refreshing and I appreciate you telling us. I'm on my 2nd trip to FL in ours and maybe I'll post something similar. I'm a happy camper just as you are.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
pawpaw

Glad to hear you're having a good time with the new rig. How does the new F-350 do with the 3.73 rear? Only dealer that stock's any DRW 350's around here
is 50 miles away...and they're all Lariat's or above trim with the 4.30 gearing. The XL or XLT trim is good enough for me so I guess I'll have to order one but hate taking a big hit on my '13 F-150 that's only a year old. Wish my family would have told me they wanted a large toy hauler sooner!! Seems like you've been down that road before....
Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

pawpaw,

The 2015 F350 duallies are coming down in price. The 16's will be out in about 3 months so dealers around Detroit are looking to empty the lots of 15 models. Here's one example, a Lariat dually 4x4 with HD towing, 4.30 gearing, sticker price $66205, "employee" price $53645. It would cost you or me about $55000. That's better than 10K off sticker and I'm guessing that in the next couple of months they will go even lower. http://www.suburbanfordofsterlinghei...earchDepth=5:5

So, keep looking, sooner or later the right truck will "appear" in an ad at a dealer near you LOL

I know, I know, I'm looking too and my "worst nightmare" is having to sign on the dotted line and take it home.... Well, really the nightmare part is making those payments <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #16
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
pawpaw,

The 2015 F350 duallies are coming down in price. The 16's will be out in about 3 months so dealers around Detroit are looking to empty the lots of 15 models. Here's one example, a Lariat dually 4x4 with HD towing, 4.30 gearing, sticker price $66205, "employee" price $53645. It would cost you or me about $55000. That's better than 10K off sticker and I'm guessing that in the next couple of months they will go even lower. http://www.suburbanfordofsterlinghei...earchDepth=5:5

So, keep looking, sooner or later the right truck will "appear" in an ad at a dealer near you LOL

I know, I know, I'm looking too and my "worst nightmare" is having to sign on the dotted line and take it home.... Well, really the nightmare part is making those payments <sigh>
At the end of last year I almost bought the same truck equipment wise as the White and Caribou you showed. The one I looked at was a solid Magnetic color and it looked good but I wanted the White and Caribou to kind of match my trailer. They wanted 20K and my '13 F-150 Platinum 4x4 that's paid for. I think in a few month's I can better that deal...just hate using my daughter and son in law's F-250 to pull the heavy Fuzion. Thank's for the info!!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:53 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Glad to hear you're having a good time with the new rig. How does the new F-350 do with the 3.73 rear? Only dealer that stock's any DRW 350's around here
is 50 miles away...and they're all Lariat's or above trim with the 4.30 gearing. The XL or XLT trim is good enough for me so I guess I'll have to order one but hate taking a big hit on my '13 F-150 that's only a year old. Wish my family would have told me they wanted a large toy hauler sooner!! Seems like you've been down that road before....
The '15 F350 is a HOSS... the DW even likes it..

http://covertford-hutto.com/ a link to the dealer I bought mine from, he ain't much on service but the prices are darn good..
Old 05-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #18
pawpaw

Quote:
The '15 F350 is a HOSS... the DW even likes it..

http://covertford-hutto.com/ a link to the dealer I bought mine from, he ain't much on service but the prices are darn good..
I know next door in Texas they're usually loaded with trucks in stock and maybe even have the XL or XLT trims. May be worth a trip over! I'm really not needing a King Ranch...Platinum or even a Lariat for a tow vehicle. I'm surprised how many sugar cane and cattle farmers around here use these fancy trucks just to tear them up in a few years. Maybe they're getting a good tax write off!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #19
Old Mustanger

Quote:
That's exactly my point John, a good dealer with good mechanics will check the trailer out from stem to stern and repair, adjust, replace and test every system, every appliance, every drawer and every door. They check the lug nuts, and air the tires if needed...

They make sure everything works as it should BEFORE handing the RV to the customer and when the customer leaves the lot both the DEALER and the CUSTOMER are satisfied that the RV is everything it should be...

Dealers who do not give this level of service are doing nothing less than stealing or defrauding their customers. but that's just my opinion.. other's may vary... but I've dealt with both kinds
Javi,
It's great to hear that you have found a reputable dealer, I'd really like to know the name and location of this dealer, the dealer I purchased our Cougar from makes me wish I wouldn't have and since Waco is not that far from my location I may want to contact them for service.
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Javi,
It's great to hear that you have found a reputable dealer, I'd really like to know the name and location of this dealer, the dealer I purchased our Cougar from makes me wish I wouldn't have and since Waco is not that far from my location I may want to contact them for service.
Thanks, I sent you a PM with the requested info..

I'd forgot about this thread but since its been brought back from the dead I'll update my report..

As of today we have spent another 4 nights in the trailer and towed it a total of just over 22oo miles.. The only thing to need repair is a screw that pulled out of the wall on one of the day/nite shades... easy fix I inserted a winged thin wall anchor and put the screw back in.. took me maybe 5 minutes total.. We still loving the 333MKS...