Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
orvlin

Dometic Thermostat & loud Water pump

Got a New Cougar 327 res the thermostat is 12 degrees off the real temp. Anyone had this problem. Can they be adjusted, or do i need a new thermostat. The water pump vibrates the pipes bad.
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvlin View Post
The water pump vibrates the pipes bad.
The noise and vibration from your water pump may be reduced by:
1) removing the pump from the floor and placing some type of vibration dampening material (rubber, cork, etc.) between the pump and the floor.
Mount the pump on a piece of plywood. Fasten the dampening material to the base of the plywood and screw the plywood into the floor.
2) checking the water lines to make sure they do not vibrate against any partition or wall. Sometimes, the pipes rest on a wooden cutout and the whole partition vibrates. Put some foam pipe wrap around the line where it passes through a cutout.
3) replace the short plastic line with braided stainless steel.
4) if none of this works, you might want to consider installing a small accumulator tank downstream from the pump. This tank reduces the amount of on/off cycling of the pump and cuts down on the noise.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
GaryWT

Knowing the temp is off by 12 degrees just make the adjustment and set it 12 degrees higher or lower. Don't really know if mine is correct or not, we set it until we are comfortable. My guess it is off somewhat. You do get a large range when the heat is running it gets cold when it is time to come on and real hot by the time it shuts off.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

How did you determine the thermostat is 12 degrees off?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
orvlin

dometic thermostat

two thermometers in the trailer say it's 50 degrees thermostat is set at 62 and hasn't turned on tell you dropping another degree.
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
two thermometers in the trailer say it's 50 degrees thermostat is set at 62 and hasn't turned on tell you dropping another degree.

Interesting. If it's a digital thermostat, then it may need replacing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I assume when you are comparing these temperatures from measuring devices that are next to each other. My thermostat is at the top of the stairs which I would expect to read higher than a temperature from a device say in the garage or living area. Although 12 degrees is a lot
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 AM   #8
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
I get about a 6 degree variance as the thermostat is part way up the stairs and my thermometer is on the kitchen counter at the back of the RV.
As for water pumps, I simply replaced the noisy Flojet with a quiet Shurflo Revolution. Watch for a sale, then order it.

Meanwhile, there is this:

Old 03-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
therink

X2 what everyone said about noisy water pump.

As far as thermostat, I found it best to replace the OEM one with a household digital thermostat found on the shelf at HD/Lowes. Cost is around $30 for a programmable one. It needs to be the battery powered type and installing is easy.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The noise and vibration from your water pump may be reduced by:
1) removing the pump from the floor and placing some type of vibration dampening material (rubber, cork, etc.) between the pump and the floor.
Mount the pump on a piece of plywood. Fasten the dampening material to the base of the plywood and screw the plywood into the floor.
2) checking the water lines to make sure they do not vibrate against any partition or wall. Sometimes, the pipes rest on a wooden cutout and the whole partition vibrates. Put some foam pipe wrap around the line where it passes through a cutout.
3) replace the short plastic line with braided stainless steel.
4) if none of this works, you might want to consider installing a small accumulator tank downstream from the pump. This tank reduces the amount of on/off cycling of the pump and cuts down on the noise.

Hope this helps.
This is all great advice. That is what you need to do. After more rigs than I can remember I just let it be noisy and ignore it. But the steps above will certainly help.

As for thermostat, the stock one is worthless. Replace it with a true digital thermostat from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It will keep the temps but better.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
philbtv

Festus2-Thanks for the great tips on water pump noise mitigation. Even though you posted this 7 years ago it totally solved our noise issue while we were out on the road. Just a little pot holder stuffed under the sink where the hot and cold tubes were rattling against the shelving...presto! Foam insulation when we get home. THIS IS THE BEST FORUM EVER! So much great advice. Thanks a million!

2018 Cougar 279RKSWE
2015 Ram 2500
Andersen Ultimate w/ B&W Turnover ball
philbtv is offline   Reply With Quote