Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
jerrycougar2014

Winter traveling

Have any of you kept the RV at 50 degrees or so while traveling? Any issues with furnace shutting down? Seems it would be the only way to keep tanks from freezing cold weather. My Cougar has air vented under floor for tanks etc., but is that enough?
jerrycougar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
jsmith948

Wouldn't the sloshing of the liquid prevent it from freezing? If you read your furnace manual you'll see that Suburban doesn't recommend that you travel with the furnace on.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycougar2014 View Post
Have any of you kept the RV at 50 degrees or so while traveling? Any issues with furnace shutting down? Seems it would be the only way to keep tanks from freezing cold weather. My Cougar has air vented under floor for tanks etc., but is that enough?
Keeping your unit "warm" and protecting your tanks from freeze-up during winter travel depends on a number of factors. One major factor to consider is the area in which you will be travelling. Obviously, "winter" temperatures and conditions vary greatly depending upon where you are travelling and since you didn't specify the areas of travel, it makes it a bit harder to give advice.

The "warm" air that goes under the floor and into the underbelly area where the tanks are located gets there when the furnace is going. So when the furnace is not running, that area will not receive any "heat". IMO, the amount of heat that eventually reaches the underbelly is not sufficient to keep the tanks from freezing during prolonged periods of continuous, freezing temperatures. Insulating tanks and the underbelly are a whole new topic and there have been extensive discussions and threads about this on the forum. Check out geo's mods in the Modifications & Upgrades section of the forum

I would drain my FW tank and take and use bottled water. When at a site that has hookups, I'd wrap my FW line with heat tape or invest in a heated water hose. When you are present, space heaters can always be used to supplement the furnace but remember when the furnace goes off, so does the warm air that goes into the underbelly.

Your furnace should not "shut down" if it is operating normally. You'll go through a lot of propane so be prepared to fill your tanks up a lot more often than you normally would.

Some members have added a heavy salt water mix to their black and gray holding tanks so that the contents won't easily freeze.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
ocbms

As said use bottled water for fresh water and use the RV antifreeze to flush. Also if you use a sink for any reason be sure and add a corresponding amount of RV antifreeze to that sink trap and holding tank. This works especially if going to a warmer climate as slush or frozen valves have a chance to thaw. Works for my Montana and have traveled at less than 20 degrees and that night kick on the furnace to warm up, sleep. To keep the bottled water from freezing (or anything else) store it in the refrigator.
Happy travels
2011 Ford F350 6.7 DRW CC LB
Previously had E350 Class C
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I don't leave my furnace on when traveling for a number of reasons but one of them is the fact that all nearly all my floor vents get covered by the slides when they are retracted. I don't think that would be good for the furnace.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Festus2:Some members have added a heavy salt water mix to their black and gray holding tanks so that the contents won't easily freeze.
The environmental science folks I have worked with in the past have told me that sea water freezes at 28F. Not much difference from fresh water unless perhaps the salt content were more, then I wonder what the freeze point would be.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The environmental science folks I have worked with in the past have told me that sea water freezes at 28F. Not much difference from fresh water unless perhaps the salt content were more, then I wonder what the freeze point would be.
Desert185-
Yes, I think that is the correct freezing temperature for sea water with normal salinity so unless a greater concentration of salt were added, you might not gain that much more protection. I think hankaye posted something about a salt solution that he has used before.

Perhaps adding a solution of the pink stuff instead of a salt water solution would be a better route to go ????
Old 01-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
bsmith0404

What kind of temps re you talking about? I would be more worried about the lines freezing than the tanks. As already mentioned the movement of water in the tanks would help keep them from freezing. The trailer isn't going to cool down instantly, so it will take a little time for things to start to get to freezing temps. If you are concerned, make shorter driving days, maybe 4-5 hours and get the heat turned back on. Or stop for lunch after a couple hours and turn the furnace back on to bring the temps back up. I don't think you'd have any problems unless you are in sub zero temps.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Desert185

I just traveled all day yesterday at 30-32F after 29F nightime temps with icicles on the trailer from an overnight freezing rain. No problems with the pipes. It would have to be much cooler to have problems, then road conditions might be a bigger issue.

+70F in Palm Springs next week is looking good right now...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of the people I know (me included) that travel from extremely cold temps to warmer temps do so with the trailer winterized. Many of us pull from "motel to motel" while in the sub-zero temps and only use the RV after the temperatures are above zero consistently. Usually, our cutoff for sleeping in the trailer (while using bottled water) is around 15 F. Above that, the trailer will stay warm enough to be comfortable for a few hours sleep during the "migration". Below that, I wouldn't consider trying to de-winterize and use the trailer's facilities. Actually, every time we go south during the winter, we don't even consider de-winterizing until we're south of Memphis. This year, that might not be a consideration until after Jackson, MS or even further south. It's been a "BRRRRRR" winter as far south as Baton Rouge/Austin.

If you leave the trailer winterized and just use it for sleeping/eating, you're pretty well assured that it will be OK for the trip, no matter what the temperature. It may seem a little "inconvenient" not to have running water and holding tanks, but for me, it's a "LOT MORE INCONVENIENT" to be replacing drain lines and split dump valves while I should be relaxing in the sunshine on a beach......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote