Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
C1v1leng

Remote Lights

I just finished adding a remote light control for our Cougar 333MKS.
The engineers thoughtfully eliminated all light switches near the door on this model. The light control panel is located in the stairway leading into the bedroom, so when you arrive home at night you need a flashlight to turn on the lights unless you thought to leave one on when you left.

I bought a four channel 12v light control form Amazon with a key fob button
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The good thing is it is inexpensive at $12.00

Make five jumpers with a Male spade connected to a Female spade, and a third wire with a bare end to go into the controller.
I made jumper wires our of 18 gage wire and crimp slide in male and female connectors. I removed the light switch panel exposing the switches.

I found a bundle of white wires with a large wire nut and using a tester, confirmed these were connected to the negative 12v system. I ran a single wire from here to the ground terminal on the controller.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	7589
Use one of the jumpers to provide power to the controller. (I used the cap light switch) Unplug the hot wire, plug the jumper into the switch and the wire you removed and put the remaining bare end wire into the controller next to the ground wire.

Here is where it got tricky without the directions. For each relay, you need to know which terminal to use:

Terminal Block Pin Out
Rly A .B .C .D
NC 4 10 .1 .7
Cm 5 11 .2 .8
NO 6 12 .3 .9

Also good to know without directions is the remote comes programmed for push and hold operation like a remote door lock. To change it for lights you must locate the jumper pins under the coiled up antenna and move the jumper to the other two pins. You can confirm the operation by hooking up power to the terminal next to the ground and pressing the button. You will hear the relay click. If it clicks again when you release the button you need to move the jumper. If it clicks once every time you press the button you have got it.

I wanted the switch inside to still work so using the volt meter again I found which side of the switch was hot and unpluged it then the jumper plugged into the switch and the Cm terminal on the controller and the wire I unplugged.
Then I removed the other wire from the switch and plugged my jumper harness onto the switch, the No terminal and the wire I just unplugged.

At this point you can test the devise. If the interior switch is on you can't turn it off with the remote, but if the interior switch is off you can turn it off and on with the remote. (sounds like the other remote for the slides and leveler)

You can use all four channels but I just hooked up the entry lights and the interior lights.

Don't forget to tape up the exposed wire connections before you push the panel back into the wall.

Works Great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	7588  
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
justlkn

Great post! Now you have me thinking if I could do that to make my slides work on a remote!

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Great post! Now you have me thinking if I could do that to make my slides work on a remote!
This is the one I used for my slide and awning.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electri...OL-11-3305.axd

And I added my main lights to one of the channels.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
C1v1leng

Light Control

Makes me wonder what the design person was thinking when they eliminated the switches near the door...
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1v1leng View Post
Makes me wonder what the design person was thinking when they eliminated the switches near the door...
Kinda feels to me like it was a accounting persons thinking more than a design person. You know that $1.28 in parts and labor can really add up. Nevermind the net effect on the customer and how that may impact your future sales...............
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote