Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Sthendrick

Newbie 2013 Cougar 327RES

Got a question and need some tips. Hoping someone can help solve my issue. We have been camping several times in our Cougar 327RES fifth wheel and have had no issues with mosquitos in the RV except the occasional ones that come in when the door opens. We just moved into a campground with an extreme high population of mosquitos and will be there for a month and a half before moving to our new location. We have had an obscene amount of mosquitos somehow getting inside and we have no idea how. My husband has checked all slides and made sure the vent to the stove was closed. They keep coming in faster than we can kill them! It's miserable and I have two little ones. Anyone else had this issue or can give me ideas or tips on where else to check? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Stacy
Sthendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
therink

Are you using air conditioning with Windows closed or are windows open? I know that in my rig, if the window screen panels are not snapped into place exactly right, there can be small gaps between the screen frame and window frame. This would be enough to let mosquitos in.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Lawdogs

Make sure your basement doors are closed!!! They can get in through the vents in the steps

2015 Montana 3721 RL
2015 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Dually
Previous: 2014 Cougar 327 RES High Country
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.7L Cummins, 2002 Coleman Popup, 2012 Wildwood 24RB, 2014 Outback 298RE
Lawdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:55 AM   #4
byrdr1

Check the left side of the bedroom slide. There may be a slight gap there, when its out!
Make sure you keep the outside light off as you walk in and out of the camper. I have found when we camp at state parks if you leave the lights on they seem to hang out there and then when you open the door they flood it.. Just a few thoughts from a 327res owner.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Brantlaker

I have used HotShot No-Pest Strips.They come in a blue pkg and last for about 3 months. I have used them in my home,garage and RV for quite a few years and have not had any flying bug or mice issues. You can get them online at Amazon.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
homer3

Not sure if mosquitoes would enter in the area of land water and TV Cable area. I own a 2013 327 as well. In order for me to hook up these utilities I have to remove the round screw cap on bottom of trailer or leave the access panel door open. I prefer to remove the screw cap. My concern at this time is not mosquitoes but little 4 legged critters such as ground squirrels etc or even ants using the water hose/TV cable as a highway into the RV. I have been thinking of going to Home Depot to found a PVC like cap and make hole only large enough for those utilities. As for the mosquitoes I might suggest just moving on. Good Luck

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
Not sure if mosquitoes would enter in the area of land water and TV Cable area. I own a 2013 327 as well. In order for me to hook up these utilities I have to remove the round screw cap on bottom of trailer or leave the access panel door open. I prefer to remove the screw cap. My concern at this time is not mosquitoes but little 4 legged critters such as ground squirrels etc or even ants using the water hose/TV cable as a highway into the RV. I have been thinking of going to Home Depot to found a PVC like cap and make hole only large enough for those utilities. As for the mosquitoes I might suggest just moving on. Good Luck
Fill the gap with some old T shirts and make it tight enough to keep the mice, or whatever from getting in. I have been successful with this for a long time. As for the mosquitos when they are very small, they can get through the vent screen in the roof, I've watched them do so. One of my roof vents is a fantastic fan, and it's mesh is tighter than what came stock. Just a thought. Another thought is a fan pointed toward the door when you have to go in or out.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Mosnowman

I own a 2013RES as well and camp in a State Parks almost exclusively. I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with your camper other than opening that big front door. When that door opens I always have a rush of bugs flying in if lights are on inside... or the door is open long enough for your kids to mountain climb up those stairs. Just my two cents....Good luck and keep us posted if you find anything!!!

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 AM   #9
Rex1vt

327 RES control panel

[QUOTE=Mosnowman;137604]I own a 2013RES

It is unclear if you own a 2013 0r a 2014 ,however, there is a history of problems with the LCI equipment and your dealer is your best friend,Camping World Tampa was mine,obtaining replacement equipment under warranty.
When the touch panel failed at a campground the only way I could operate the slides and the awning was by removing the battery,take it inside the camper,use jumper wire from the battery to the appropriate switch contacts on the back side of the panel.The procedure noted was narrated by the Camping World shop foreman at the time.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:54 AM   #10
spicercars

We had the same problem and the screen in the bedroom was not snapped in place. Once it was fixed we have had no problems.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Texascoastalfish

I know our Stove vent flapper is a POS and broke after the first trip. IT has 2 small retainer levers and if it fallen off or not secure they an get in that way. Also a good spraying of your site with Cutters Backyard control will knock then down for a week or longer

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #12
GBR

Walked around my trailer last spring and found this brown rectangle on the ground. Low and behold it was the fan vent cap. When looking at it it had a plastics pin that was no wider than the Tip of a pencil. As stated above it is a POS. being fixed under warranty but for another 25 cents of quality Keystone could have saved the cost of unneeded work.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote