Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
TFMCKANNA

Question Axle issue + towing

Please help us understand our situation. We're relatively new to RV'ng and purchased a 2003 Cougar 26' in January in good shape. Been out just a couple of times and all working well. Well, until this last trip. Coming back the driver side rear bearing basically disintegrated/melted and tore up the axle threads. Divinely right next to a truck repair facility. Go figure! They helped me assess it needs a new axle assembly. First, we learned/found out I cannot have a 5vr towed. We contacted every big rig tow company within 200 miles.. no luck. Were we foolish in getting the AAA RV towing add on to our auto??? Cannot be towed? Second, found out no one carries an axle/assembly for this unit. The truck repair mechanic graciously took it off and I carted it 60 miles to an RV repair center. They couldn't find one so they ordered from ALKO, the original Keystone manufacturer. Does this scenario sound reasonable to you or am I just too new & unskilled to comprehend the situation?? Counsel, advice, consoling is appreciated. Thanks
//tom in FL
TFMCKANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
MarkS

I think the issue was towing it with a bad axel. There is not a lot of safety factor with the wheels and axel. If you tow with three wheels, there is a good chance you will blow the second tire on the single wheel side. I have had friends limp home on three wheels going only 15 MPH. I would not recommend it.

I had a breakdown (truck) this spring, and did have the truck and 5er trailer towed. Two tow trucks. We were very glad to have Good Sam Roadside. Also, some roadside assistance packages do not cover trailers. I called Good Sam, they found the tow company that could do the job.

You should have the other bearings checked. They should be greased and or inspected every year.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote