Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Nick & Gia's Trailer

Furnace problem

Any advice for the following problem?

Took first trip of season during Memorial Day and found that when I turn on the furnace, the A/C unit fires up but not the furnace. I turned off breaker to A/C unit and furnace worked just fine. During 2nd day needed A/C unit and it worked fine by itself.

Unit is a 2013 Cougar 29RBS. Everything was fine prior to winterizing after Columbus Day last year.

I think that the Dometic thermostat has gone south for the summer.

Any thoughts?
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
bobbecky

We had something like that happen with ours. Don't think the A/C compressor was running, just the fan. Make sure that when in the A/C mode, the fan setting is set to auto, not low-med-or high. We changed ours and solved the problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Set the thermostat fan switch to AUTO and it will work fine. In LOW or in HIGH, when you turn on the furnace, the AC also comes on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Bluewater

I'm on my third thermostat and think I finally have one that works. Probably because it is a different brand.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Set the thermostat fan switch to AUTO and it will work fine. In LOW or in HIGH, when you turn on the furnace, the AC also comes on.
This. Took me awhile to find the manual for ours but we had the same thing. Though I'm not sure if it was the AC unit or just the fan, either way, this worked for us.

I now have a nice binder with all the manuals for everything inside the trailer that I keep with the trailer.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Nick & Gia's Trailer

Thanks for helping me out...They saying goes "Use it or Loose it". In my case it was for both the RV and my mind.

Placed thermostat in auto and all works well....

Thanks again
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
CoHideout

Ours is doing the same thing and we don't have an AUTO setting on our thermostat. I don't recall the furnace doing this the only other time we turned it on. And I am sure that the walk through didn't mention the AC fan coming on when we start up the furnace. If it stays on all the time the heater is running, the noise is too much.
CoHideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Which thermostat do you have? If it's the square digital dometic it will.

The top left button will cycle the A/C fan on hi/lo or AUto.

In auto the A/C fan only operates with the A/C. If it's in high or low it will run anytime either the A/C or heat is used.

If you have a Coleman thermostat with the sliding temp control, the A/C fan control is on the lower right side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #9
CoHideout

Thank you, thank you!!

Sure enough! It is a Dometic and after I hit HI and LO there was AU. I really appreciate your help. Now the AC does not come on. No wonder DH calls you the "wizards."
CoHideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
Old Mustanger

Speaking of the Dometic thermostat, we accidently found out last weekend that if you press the + and - buttons on the right at the same time the Temp setting will change from Fahrenheit to Celsius. We didn't realize for a couple of days how it changed and the manual didn't mention it, so we had to get a conversion table to figure out where to set it. Figured it out just trying something and pressing both switched it back to Fahrenheit.
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote