Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Roller4Tan

Aluminum Wheel

Lost ANOTHER wheel a couple days ago. First one was last year with a cracks in the spokes. Tredit replaced it under their warranty. This time I noticed a slow leak on the TPMS after leaving an RV Park in Florida. At my first fuel stop I aired the tire and continued on my way. Throughout the trip to our next overnite stop, I watched the air slowly leak out of the tire. When we arrived I set up and then proceeded to pull the tire off the trailer to check it out and get it repaired. I saw nothing obvious to the tire or wheel, so I dribbled some water on it with the hose. Nothing on the tire, so I checked the bead for rim leak. I flipped the tire over and as I was doing the inside, I saw a mist in the inner wheel. I confirmed this with some gas leak detector I had to check my propane fittings. So, I was near Savannah, Ga at the time and it's Friday night. I knew it was to late to call the wheel manufacturer, so I went online and sent off an email on Tredit's web site for the distribution center in Athens, Ga. We stayed near Savannah over the weekend and Monday I got a call from Tredit and explained my issue. I told "Jeff" that we were in the state and could come to Athens to pick up the wheel replacement.
So today I am heading there. I have to have the tire unmounted from the wheel since they don't have that facility.
I'll report back when I return as to the outcome.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Roller4Tan

update,
drove the hour from the rv park to Athens, ga Tredit distribution center. No problem to swap out the cracked wheel. I show it to the guy and he says they don't have the 6 lug 16" wheel. He thought it was 8 lug . I specifically told him 6 on the phone. Anyway, now they have to ship one from the Indiana center to my home in Michigan. Bought a white steel wheel to mount my tire as a spare for the remainder of the trip home. Probably should have bought 4 steel wheels and trashed the aluminum ones.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
BulletOwner1

At least they are making good on their warranty, sort of. Did you know if both the bad wheels were out of the same lot? Might be they had a bad batch. Might behoove you to check your other two.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
At least they are making good on their warranty, sort of. Did you know if both the bad wheels were out of the same lot? Might be they had a bad batch. Might behoove you to check your other two.
Thinking the same thing. It's pretty rare for wheels to fail like this, what is the load capacity vs actual load on the wheel? Scary to think you've had two go on you.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
Roller4Tan

I haven't scaled lately, but after the last one I had room to spare. The first wheel showed cracks on two spokes, this one had an 1 1/2" crack in the rim. I was glad to find out about the warranty on the first one, made it easier to get this one replaced. I don't know if they were of the same lot. I didn't need to write down the numbers on the last one like I did the first time.
May be time to get four new wheels attached to a different 5th.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
WaltBennett

I cannot recall ever hearing of a Tredit wheel (or any other kind either) failing, much less two on the same rig. I wonder if somehow they were damaged at Keystone or in transit to where you bought the rig?

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Roller4Tan

the spoke cracks started a year after I bought it. I'd cleaned the wheels many times and never saw any. The last one made itself obvious with the lost of air.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
mguay

It is not that uncommon for these to crack. Do a search on the forum and you will find a few posts about it. More common on Alpines and Montanas due to heavier weights. All 4 of mine were replaced last year under warranty due to cracked spokes. I think I was in the 30,000 mile range when they were done. I asked Jennifer at Tredit if they could be swapped for a different one and she didn't even bat an eyelash! This time I went to a 8 spoke that has individual spokes rather than the stock ones with only 5 points of contact from the hub to the rim.

http://www.tredittire.com/T08-8-Spoke-P326.aspx
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
the spoke cracks started a year after I bought it. I'd cleaned the wheels many times and never saw any. The last one made itself obvious with the lost of air.
And this is an excellent argument for checking your tire pressure before every trip. That's why I carry an air compressor.
When I was checking tires before my last trip, one of them had leaked down to 35psi(Maxxis Load Range E 80 PSI). I went straight to Discount Tire and they found a bad valve stem. Had I just done a visual check of the tires, I would not have noticed because the good tire on that side was supporting the weight of the trailer and everything looked normal. Lesson learned, your tire pressure gauge is your best friend.

Concerning the OP's problem of a cracked rim, I take a very dim view on the failure of any tire, wheel, or suspension component. If one goes, more than likely I'm on my way to the tire store and I'm leaving with a new complete set, probably of something different. It's possible that it's a manufacturing defect, but do you really want to gamble the lives of you, your family, the other people on the road, and the trailer that you paid big $$$ for. I would rather spend the $500 and travel with peace of mind, but that's just me.

Two failures on the same rig? That's a no brainer.. Everything goes.no questions asked.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
gablerent

I have a Cougar 327RES and have the exact same problem. A year ago cracks on spokes on 1 wheel, replaced by Tredit. Just noticed air loss on another, upon inspection, discovered a crack on rear section of rim about 3/4" long. am working with Tredit on a solution.
gablerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
abneynormal

you are not alone

I had a tire that was leaking down. after 3 blowouts and going to lt tires that same rim kept slowly leaking air. it was a defect in the back of one of the spokes. I took it to our local rv dealer. since the ones we bought our rig from has a crappy service dept. they got us a new one and we are rolling on it. im like you if we have many more problems we will go steel. they aren't prone to casting defects since they are stamped.