Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
kreed61

Pin Box Comparisons??? Suggestions Please

I have a 2010 Dodge 3500 with a B&W hitch. Just bought a new Cougar and looking at putting something like a Trail Air on it. I'm new to this and really don't have a clue which is best. My TV still has stock suspension and I may possibly do air bags later. I've been told the Trail Air is what I need but I would like more opinions than just someone wanting to sell me one. Also where can I find one??? I looked on Tweetys but didn't see one. They did have other types and brands though which raised my dilemma of which one is best. Thanks in advance for any help!

Kelly Reed
Tyler Texas
kreed61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There are 3 popular brands that you might consider - Mor/Ryde, Trail Air and 5th Airborne. Any one of the first two would be my choice - each one has been well received by members here. The 5th Airborne is less popular than the other two.

Try these sources: etrailer.com pplmotorhomes.com and tweetys.com

Not sure why you can't find the Trail Air on Tweetys. ????
Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
kreed61

Thanks Festus!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
X-Treme

I went with a Trail Air Tri Glide on my Alpine, and WOW!!! Night and day difference. Would not tow a trailer of this size without EVER again. Trailer came stock with Trail Air Roto Flex, and while I'm sure it was better than an just a standard pin box, Tri Glide is THE way to go IMO.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 AM   #5
mguay

I went the MorRyde route and it works great...but the next one will be a TrailAir TriGlide! The bridge abutments on the east coast that are subject to frost are teeth rattling!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
kreed61

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking the TriGlide also and mine just has a standard pin box now. I asked my dealer about the TrailAir when purchasing and he said "I wouldn't need it, that I would never even feel it"...well we do! We've only made 2 local weekend trips so far and the thing just beats us to death. I was hit by a drunk driver several years ago totaling my truck and leaving me with 4 herniated discs in my neck and back so the standard pin would NEVER work for a long haul. Heading back to Estes Park for 10 days around July 4th and I'll have one before then. Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed61 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking the TriGlide also and mine just has a standard pin box now. I asked my dealer about the TrailAir when purchasing and he said "I wouldn't need it, that I would never even feel it"...well we do! We've only made 2 local weekend trips so far and the thing just beats us to death. I was hit by a drunk driver several years ago totaling my truck and leaving me with 4 herniated discs in my neck and back so the standard pin would NEVER work for a long haul. Heading back to Estes Park for 10 days around July 4th and I'll have one before then. Thanks for the responses!!!
I would strongly suggest a set of airbags also
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Jim7411

I have the Fifth Airborne, and combined with my Hensley BD-3 air hitch I've got a very smooth ride. Almost forget I'm towing 5+ tons of trailer behind me. Just my opinion, and everyone has one, especially on this forum!
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #9
spicercars

Trail air all the way. I had a 5th airborne and the ride is much better with the trail air. You wont believe the difference when you change it. Well worth the money. Check e-trailer they have very good prices.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
webslave

I'm in the TrailAir Tri-Glide camp. Won't own a 5er without it from here on out. Now that I know, it will be on the trailer before I pick it up

The only minor drawback (I won't hide that there is one) is greasing the fittings on the Tri-Glide assembly. Not a big deal, but, has to be done and we tow a lot of miles. Got a rechargeable Lincoln grease gun and it takes all of two minutes once a week's worth of towing and its done. I work it in with the checking of the tires, wheel lug torque, etc.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
ryanita

I wanted an air cushion ride. After researching the subject, I decided to put the air cushion in the hitch, not the pin box. I got the MorRyde pin box to reduce chucking (back and forth) which it's rubber pad does very well and a TrailerSaver air ride hitch for the up and down. The combination is very smooth.
ryanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Drew Waller

Pin Box air

I got the Trail Air Tri-Glide and am very happy! It took the jiggle out of my bellie

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote