Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
scotte303

Angle for hitching and unhitching

Hi,
We just purchased a 2014 cougar xlite RET. We will be picking it up from the dealer in May.
I have a 2013 f-250 with 8' bed with a reese 16 fith wheel hitch.
The question is, can you hitch and unhitch at a 90 degree angle?
I would think if you can basically " jack knife" can you hitch and unhitch at that angle.
Help and advice is always appreciated.
Scott
scotte303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
Javi

Most if not all pin boxes come with a curled frontal ramp to facilitate mating to the hitch plate, so while it may well be possible to hook up at a 90 degree angle I wouldn't attempt it unless presented with no other alternative. And I wouldn't consider it to be normal or something I'd want to do on a continuing basis.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
scotte303

Smile

Hi Javi,

Thanks so much for the reply. You know, i have asked the same question numerous times and never recieved an answer that made sense until now. It was always "you cant".
But now i finally understand why I cant.
Would you happen to know if i can deviate a little bit from straight on? Maybe 15 or 20 degrees?
Thanks again.
Scott
Old 03-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Over the years, I have found that if you have clearance (bed rails, etc) and can lift the pin enough to relieve the weight of the pin from the truck (i.e. just a hair line of daylight), you can unhitch at just about any angle.

You just have to be mindful of the fact that if you pull away when at 90 degree angle (or back against the pin when re-hooking) that you would be putting side-to-side stress against the landing gear mounts.

I see some people hitch/unhitch where it's a big "event"... i.e. lots of banging/noise etc.... pin drops on unhook.... pin "ramps up" heavily on hitch when rehitching.... I would NOT recommend a 90 degree situation for these folks

I see some people hitch/unhitch where it doesn't hardly make a peep of noise.... totally smooth... I (hopefully ) fit into this camp. It's just a matter of learning the perfect pin height VS your hitch's latching mechanism.

Practice??? Maybe.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte303 View Post
Hi Javi,

Thanks so much for the reply. You know, i have asked the same question numerous times and never recieved an answer that made sense until now. It was always "you cant".
But now i finally understand why I cant.
Would you happen to know if i can deviate a little bit from straight on? Maybe 15 or 20 degrees?
Thanks again.
Scott

I've pulled several 5th Wheel and Gooseneck trailers in my past employment and yes you can. And I have when required by circumstance. Generally I've always tried to avoid putting myself into situations where I need to jackknife.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
scotte303

Thanks SAD, i need to practice , practice, practice.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #7
bsmith0404

As already stated, you don't have to be straight, but it is preferred. It is recommended that the pin box be slightly lower than the hitch (slightly). So the angled front of the pin box allows it to ride up the ramp smoother. Additionally, you don't have to be dead center when backing in. I've seen people back and forth, back and forth trying to get everything lined up perfectly, I wouldn't recommend being way off center, but as long as you're close, it'll self align.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
OldCountryBoy

The first long term RV park that I stayed at, I had to unhook at about 45 degrees. I did have the owner of the park instructing me as I backed into the parking spot. As I recall the parking was difficult, the unhooking became a relief. No problem whatsoever. Wish I could remember the name of the hitch system, other than rated at 20k I cannot recall. There is the slight curve on the front of the pinbox but the hitch plate is flat. I had to rehook at the same amgle when leaving. Don't recall any unusual noises, snap crackle or pops.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Trent McCain

As others have stated, be as straight and centered as possible. Ten years ago, as a courtesy a repair shop hitched our loaded grain trailer to the Kenworth after they serviced it. They weren't centered on the kingpin. When the trailer shifted upon entering the funnel on the hitch, the landing gear brackets were bent. They fixed the damage to the trailer, and we don't dolly loaded trailers down anymore unless its an emergency. When I hitch my 5th wheel or semi trailers, I always get out and visually inspect it or have a spotter assure we are centered. It only takes a few minutes more to do the job right. Your equipment is less likely to be damaged. Another thought about backing in at a 90 degree angle, you have nothing to keep the coach from sliding sideways. Again, more risk of doing damage. If you back in straight as intended, you can lock the brakes or chock the wheels to keep the coach from moving

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
WaltBennett

That curl on the pin box and how you're supposed slide under and lift up is one thing, but the other is the force you'll put on one landing gear when you 'bump' to get the jaws shut. Sideways force that's not stopped by chocked wheels would not be good IMHO.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
scotte303

All, thanks for all the input and replies. Its now pretty clear. Of course i will try and avoid a circumstance, but i am in a seasonal campground with pretty tight spaces, and want to get out from time to time.
Thanks again.
Scott
Old 03-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
Outbackmel

Just did this at Disney

My site was very tight and a permanent trash receptacle forced me to jackknife in. I removed my towing tailgate and put the slide in maneuver position ( back) i then backed in and wiggled back and forth 3 times and was satisfied this was the spot. Got out and jaw handle would not budge . Got back in and held the trailer brake and rocked the unit while engaged . Tried handle again and it worked. Set the front rv legs and eased off ever so slowly. You have to be very cautious that the truck bed does not raise up and smack your rv. Of course re hooking is no problem as you can move the truck so the pin connection is less of a turn.
BUT, for me, the slider needed to be in maneuver position both coming and going. I cannot emphasize enough to watch your truck bed clearance as you disconnect. I have a slider window so I have a full view with window open.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
My site was very tight and a permanent trash receptacle forced me to jackknife in. I removed my towing tailgate and put the slide in maneuver position ( back) i then backed in and wiggled back and forth 3 times and was satisfied this was the spot. Got out and jaw handle would not budge . Got back in and held the trailer brake and rocked the unit while engaged . Tried handle again and it worked. Set the front rv legs and eased off ever so slowly. You have to be very cautious that the truck bed does not raise up and smack your rv. Of course re hooking is no problem as you can move the truck so the pin connection is less of a turn.
BUT, for me, the slider needed to be in maneuver position both coming and going. I cannot emphasize enough to watch your truck bed clearance as you disconnect. I have a slider window so I have a full view with window open.
Under what circumstance would the truck bed raise up and smack the RV?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
hankaye

scotte303, Howdy;

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is this,
after you hook-up at an angle, when you first start to pull
out, the tail of the RV will swing like the tail on a fish ...
If you back in from the driver's side the tail will swing to the
passenger's side and vise-versa... just something else to consider
especially if it's a snug fit to begin with.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
scotte303, Howdy;

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is this,
after you hook-up at an angle, when you first start to pull
out, the tail of the RV will swing like the tail on a fish ...
If you back in from the driver's side the tail will swing to the
passenger's side and vise-versa... just something else to consider
especially if it's a snug fit to begin with.

hankaye
Good call. I was going to say the same thing. The trailer will pivot on the tires and the backend will swing more than a normal turn since you are turned so tight.
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Outbackmel

Pick up bed raising

My rv sits perfectly straight when engaged for travel. When on spot, the key for me is to ensure the rv legs are extended sufficiently to relieve most of the pressure before pulling the truck out from under the hitch. IF the front of the truck is in any type of downward slope, it puts pressure on the hitch point. In Disney, the spots are small and tight. The front of the tow vehicle was in a slight downward position. In Florida, at a beautiful, brand new 5 star park, I had to back in on sod laid that day and it also was on a slope for the truck, rv was flat.
All I am saying is take a look before you leap. Been all over the US and back and experienced this no more than half dozen times. Not all sites are well planned or were well planned for smaller units many years ago.

If it can happen, it will and at the worst possible time.

Safe travels
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote