Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
AlpineOppa

Alpine's auto leveling system

So... I'm picking up my new 2014 Alpine 3010RE 5'er and I'm taking notes on the various systems that are new to me. The dealership technician gives me and my wife the grand tour and explains how the hydraulic 6 point leveling system works. Seems pretty easy. So I ask him "in the event the system fails - how can I over-ride it and manually hook it up to my RAM?" He says that there's no way to manually retract the legs - that I'd have to find someone who could come to me and fix the problem at my location.
CAN THIS BE CORRECT??
Now I'm not inviting problems but I'm a good boy scout who wants to be prepared - and to know how to fix such a problem (since I once had a landing gear problem with my 2009 Montana)
Is anyone familiar with the Alpine's hydraulic leveling system and it is true that it cannot be manually over-ridden?
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
mazboy123

level up system

I assume you are taling about the lippert level up system....YES, there is an override to the system.

I have found all to often that salespeople don't know anything about the trailers they are selling.

call lippert and they will go through what is what. 574-537-8900

the system is great.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Cnc_hemi

There is a place on top the motor that you can put a drive socket in. And it will running the pump. And there are over ride valves that u can open or close that will get you out of a bind. Mine has the same 6 point system. I love it.
Page 26. http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...nentManual.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
LZScout

On my Alpine, the hydraulic pump (inside the battery compartment) is horizontal. On the end toward the rear of the 5th wheel is a sticker that covers the port for manual pump operation. In the sack all your manuals came in, you should find a flexible tool that passes through the basement storage wall into the pump fitting and is operated by your cordless drill. Supposedly (I've yet to try it) this action works not only the level up system, but also the slides. That's the theory I was told. I'm not sure how it works in practice. Anyone actually try it yet?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
ChuckS

Great information - I too just purchased a 2014 Alpine 310RE and asked the guys that were showing us how everything worked what to do in the event of a hydraulic failure of either the jacks or the slides..

I was told about the manual use of drill and hex bit to be able to manually work the pump.. However, no one showed me the locations on the six point levelers to turn so that I could manually retract that way.

I also assume that should something fail electrically that would prevent me from normal retraction/extension of the slides I could also use the hex bit and drill and manually extend/retract the slides?
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Hydraulic Systems

We looked at a 3500 RE yesterday and the salesman did a thorough review of the hydraulic system, exactly as previously described. There is a manual drive nut on the back side of the pump. It works for the landing gear and the slides. You just need to remove the top plug from the fluid reservoir, find the line for the part you want to move, disconnect the line and put it into the reservoir, then turn the manual screw. I asked about this specifically after competitor brand salesmen slammed on the hydraulic system RVs for "NOT" having a manual back-up system.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineOppa View Post
So... I'm picking up my new 2014 Alpine 3010RE 5'er and I'm taking notes on the various systems that are new to me. The dealership technician gives me and my wife the grand tour and explains how the hydraulic 6 point leveling system works. Seems pretty easy. So I ask him "in the event the system fails - how can I over-ride it and manually hook it up to my RAM?" He says that there's no way to manually retract the legs - that I'd have to find someone who could come to me and fix the problem at my location.
CAN THIS BE CORRECT??
Now I'm not inviting problems but I'm a good boy scout who wants to be prepared - and to know how to fix such a problem (since I once had a landing gear problem with my 2009 Montana)
Is anyone familiar with the Alpine's hydraulic leveling system and it is true that it cannot be manually over-ridden?
Sounds like you had a very inexperienced salesman. I'd be worrying about just about everything that came out of his mouth.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
AlpineOppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Sounds like you had a very inexperienced salesman. I'd be worrying about just about everything that came out of his mouth.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hope I never have to find out if the manual override works like it's supposed to! The more "convenience items" you get with these campers, the more issues can arise that cause more heartburn

As far as the technician that showed us the systems, I was mostly pretty pleased with him except when it came to the leveling system. He obviously had very little training with this system. Even the instructions he gave us on how to use the leveling system wasn't consistent with the written instructions.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
bobbecky

Your rig should have the Lippert systems, leveling and the slides. This information is for both systems being hydraulic. For the emergency operation of the legs, Lippert has a Lipsheet 0262 at http://www.lci1.com/support/leveling...veling/levelup which covers manually raising and lowering the legs. There is also a youtube video on the Lippert site, This covers both the legs and hydraulic slides.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
AlpineOppa

Alpine's auto leveling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Your rig should have the Lippert systems, leveling and the slides. This information is for both systems being hydraulic. For the emergency operation of the legs, Lippert has a Lipsheet 0262 at http://www.lci1.com/support/leveling...veling/levelup which covers manually raising and lowering the legs. There is also a youtube video on the Lippert site, This covers both the legs and hydraulic slides.
Very good, thanks! I'll review it and hope to never have to use it.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
bsmith0404

We just picked up our new 3500RE today. In your basement storage compartment there is actually a plastic plug in the wall that when removed will give you clear access to the backside of the hydraulic pump where the manual over ride screw is located. That obviously gives you A LOT of room to work in, I'm a pretty big guy and I can sit right in the basement storage.....love the Alpine!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
Alpine

Thank you bobbecky for the link. I saved them to my laptop...hoping to never have to use the manual system! We have been fulltime for 13 months without a hitch, pardon the pun!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Jerry Roberts

Bobbecky,

Great link to Lippert LIPs. Having issues with 2014 Alpine 3535RE. Its' being repaired now. Appears that service center is following all the protocol.

Jerry Roberts
Jerry Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote