Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
unyalli

More Cougar touch panel nonsense

Not only do I despise this idiot panel but they put the main lights on it. ???? Why is there not a normal light switch at the door so you can turn the lights on when entering the RV? You have to fiddle around and find the under cabinet light over the sink to get enough light to find the idiot panel so you can power it up then turn on the main lights. This is ridiculous.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Since the panel can't be moved and light switches are difficult to wire into existing wall spaces, why not add an LED flashlight, nightlight or motion activated puck light at or near the door. If you install it in a convenient location right inside the door, you can easily get to it to get the "initial light" you need to get inside the RV without having to "fiddle around under the kitchen cabinet".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
f6bits

Or replace it with an illuminated LED rocker switch:
Attached Images

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
FTWingRiders

Totally agree, besides having to reset it every now and then, this is my biggest complaint. I plan on doing something about it next spring if the snow ever melts and I can dig 'er out!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
unyalli

Thanks for the work-around suggestions, I appreciate the assistance, but we're missing the point. Disregard the illogical thought process that initially came up with the idea of this ridiculous panel how much further into anti-logic must we travel to put the main lights switch on it?

Here's another. I put my awning all the way out then bump it back in a bit so it drains correctly. Almost impossible with the delay in operation with this panel. I seriously want it replaced with a manual one.

P.S. I tossed the remote into the back of one of the upper cabinets. I will never use it.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
unyalli

Furthering....

Here is the wall just inside the front door with the panel. See that nice normal light switch below the thermostat? You'll never guess what it controls.

These

See the ceiling lights second down on the right? Why? Put the front LED glamor lights here and the ceiling lights on the normal switch. When the dealer was showing me the unit he was very embarrassed when we could not figure out what that normal switch controlled. Rather than spend the day there I said never mind I'll figure it out.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Since the two switches are as close as they are, it should just be a matter of switching 4 wires (really just two if you're diligent in tracing the voltage side of each switch) and you've solved your problem... Keep us posted on how you resolve things to your satisfaction.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Steve S

To me this is all part of the wonderful experience of camping life
I'n curious about something, did you not spend anytime in the trailer making sure that it would fit your lifestyle before you bought it?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
To me this is all part of the wonderful experience of camping life
I'n curious about something, did you not spend anytime in the trailer making sure that it would fit your lifestyle before you bought it?
Ouch!

In all fairness, I spent quite a bit of time in mine, but there were still things I found after the purchase that would be a deal breaker on the next trailer. If there is a next trailer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
DJ85

I agree I am pretty sure I never stepped into my new camper when it was dark outside to see how easy it was to light it up to walk around before we purchased it... And I have owned my camper for two years now and I am still finding things that I really never gave much thought when we bought it.... That all apart of the experience the way I see it....

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
DJ85

Now with that being said. I think everyone out there has added or change something on thier rv to suit his or her style its a personal touch if you would.. So instead of putting up with something that doesnt fit your style you can either put up with it or change it and move on.. As much reseach the so called engineers do they do thier best. If they get enough feed back they will make changes.. From reading the pass post it seems things have changed already and they have decided to go back to the rocker switches. This is only my opinion after 25 yrs in the auto industry. I have fixed alot of "boy that sure seemed like a good idea at the time ideas"

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
unyalli

Other than this panel I'm completely happy with this unit. As stated in my hello post back when I got it I looked long and hard to find a light weight toy hauler that was not a toy hauler. This is the only fifth wheel I found with a GVWR that matched my trucks max tow rating. I can haul the Harley and unload it and have separate sleeping quarters when I LB hard around the camp fire and momma doesn't want to listen to my snoring . The quality of the faucets, door handles, cabinets, counter top, toilet, etc is very nice. Far better than my previous RV's. Over all I'm ecstatic with this thing but that dang founded panel......
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
Steve S

Hi unyalli, thanks for your last post it cleared things up for me
I see what you mean, you've found that one thing in your rig that drives you nuts but other then that you're happy with everything else
Today I went to use the outside stove for the first time, I noticed that there's no clicker to light the stove
It's not really the end of the world but since I went through Chemo a few years ago I only have 10% feeling in my hands. In short I never know if I'm burning myself until I see bubbles
Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Pmedic4

Light switch upon entering RV

I agree with unyalli. The most common sense thing in an RV(or home) would be a light switch closely available to light the way into your RV. I have no problem doing a workaround, such as LED light, remote switch etc, but that is so common sense you just scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.

At least mine is easier to get to than the light over the sink, as it's on control panel just to the left of the door as you go in, but still kind of high up. It would be nice also to have a 3-way for that main cabin lights, but it usually isn't all that bad since we always say all the colorful LED's from the devices(CO2, Propane,stereo, TV, etc) seem to light the way!

Overall, I would say almost all RV's have lots of shortcomings when it comes to lighting switches, but you seem to learn or adjust and it's not a big deal.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
f6bits

Ah, so that's how the touch panel looks. How about sticking a little bumpy dot on light switch spot?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Ah, so that's how the touch panel looks. How about sticking a little bumpy dot on light switch spot?
You gotta like the KISS principal. Would have to put it just to the side of where you touch with your finger and one next to the main power touch point but that would work and is simple. Still flipping that switch below the thermostat would be the correct way. This same type of switch is in the slide for the recessed lights in the slide.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Do you turn your control panel off when you leave? I have always left ours on other than to pull the #5 fuse to reset it.
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
unyalli

I may start leaving it on. I did a check with a clamp on DC amp meter and it only draws .02 amps.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #19
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hi unyalli, thanks for your last post it cleared things up for me
I see what you mean, you've found that one thing in your rig that drives you nuts but other then that you're happy with everything else
Today I went to use the outside stove for the first time, I noticed that there's no clicker to light the stove
It's not really the end of the world but since I went through Chemo a few years ago I only have 10% feeling in my hands. In short I never know if I'm burning myself until I see bubbles

Ya know, I really coulda done without that visual! Eeeeeeeeeeeuck! Sometimes ya just gotta adapt, I guess!

Cheers All!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L123 View Post
[/I][/B]

Ya know, I really coulda done without that visual! Eeeeeeeeeeeuck! Sometimes ya just gotta adapt, I guess!

Cheers All!

Mike
HUH?