Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
homer3

Slide Out Power

I know that the slide outs operate off 12v power. With battery switch in the off position, slide outs are still getting power. Is this normal?

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
outwest

Yes. It's normal for the slides to still get power when you use the 12V kill switch. In the case of bumper pull trailers, the tongue jack also still has power when kill switch used. Dunno what else, if anything, (besides the slideouts) still gets power on a fifth wheel, though.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
LZScout

Slide Out Power

The breakaway switch and the Lippert Level Up system in my Alpine is also powered with the battery switch turned off.

Sent from my iPhone

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
RVbear

Slideout Power

This is normal. It's wired this way to prevent the user from attempting to operate these large loads, slides, jacks etc. using only the converter when you are plugged into shore power. The converters are not capable of running these large-current loads by themselves.
RVbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
webslave

If you have a remote control, you'll find that not only will the slides work, but, anything that your remote controls will also work. The remote control board is wired directly to the battery, bypassing the disconnect switch. Anything controlled by the remote will work as long as the battery is physically connected to the trailer (negative and positive cables attached). Just the way the remote board is hooked up. Kind of surprised me on our 318SAB that the external lights and the landing gear and all three slides still worked with the disconnect in the "off" position...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbear View Post
This is normal. It's wired this way to prevent the user from attempting to operate these large loads, slides, jacks etc. using only the converter when you are plugged into shore power. The converters are not capable of running these large-current loads by themselves.
Maybe for smaller ones, but I've been running ours at home via the converter with batteries disconnected by a knife switch on the positive feed for some time. Works no different than when running on batteries alone. Reason I put the knife switch in is I had to replace three batteries in the past on previous TTs that overcharged and boiled close to dry before I realized what was going on. Ever since the third, I've had one of these disconnect switches and a hydrometer - once the batteries are fully charged, they get totally disconnected.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote