Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Eddie A.

Hello from Olympia, WA

Hi All,

I've been soaking up the wisdom and lessons learned on this forum for a couple months now. My wife and I are shopping for our first TT. We've rented a couple for camping trips just to see what was a good fit. We've got two daughters (1 & 4 years old) and realized a 19' wasn't quite enough room so my wife decided she wanted to go big and fell in love with the Cougar 31SQB for the space, separate entry to the bathroom and the ability for the kids to have their own separate room. From what I've learned here about towing weights however, that one would likely require a new TV as it's GVW is about 94% of my TV capabilities and camping trips around here occasionally take us on 6-8% grades.

I've suggested we compromise with the Cougar Xlite 29BHS that still has double bunks, separate entry to bathroom, outdoor kitchen and is not like 85% on my TV capabilities.

TV is a 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum CM 4WD

Any thoughts or opinions on this are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
buzzcop63

Eddie:
The 31SQB has a GVW rating of 9,000Lb and a length of 35'11". With a 4 wheel drive 1/2 ton Tundra you have a great truck, I have one as well and love it. We could go into all the weights and measures of your truck verses this trailer but the one outstanding problem to me is the length of the trailer. Weight of the truck is going to be important or you will have the tail wagging the dog. Also towing up 6 to 8% grades at the rated max of your tow vehicle is not going to be much fun.
Your other choice 29BH, while I do not have the specify weight I do have the 29RBK which has a GVW of 8,200 but a length of 33', both of these trailers can be towed by the Tundra but I would not want to trust my family or myself with this much of a load. To be comfortable towing the load up steep grades and with the length I would recommend a Diesel. Or drop down in length and weight of the trailer to stay well within the Tundra capabilities.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:13 AM   #3
busterbrown

Have you looked at any of the Passport or Bullet coaches? They tend to be significantly lighter than the Cougar. Floor plans galore for each of these brands too.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
BlueThunder34

First off, welcome from a fellow NW! We have a Cougar 28RBSWE that I first towed with a 2014 F150 Ecoboost. While the truck had plenty of power, I can assure you, you will not enjoy the experience of side winds and passing semi trucks with a 1/2 ton and a trailer with this much side wall and weight. Cougars are fairly heavy and have heavy tounge weights that will eat up your available payload capacity, remember it's not just the weight of the trailer its payload you need to watch closely as well. Look at the yellow sticker on the inside of your drivers door for your max and you may be surprised. As others have stated, that much sidewall is going to act like a huge sail catching crosswinds and will make for an unpleasant towing experience in a truck nearing its max weights. I upgraded my TV to a 1 ton diesel and have never looked back, it makes all the difference in the work when you have a truck well within its limits vs one that is right on the edge or worse, over its limits. Plus, the exhaust braking on the diesel is awesome here in the NW when traveling through the mountains.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

There are some things a half-ton does great. Towing a 35+ foot trailer is not one of them. I bought a bigger trailer last year that was at my trucks limit and we pulled it out west. 5000 miles of white knuckles does not make for a pleasant and relaxing vacation. I'm upgrading my TV this year to a 1-ton diesel. More truck than I need but that gives me room to grow later. I've been there, I've done that, and I won't do it again.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I have a 1/2 ton and tow a Passport 2810BH. I'm well within my weight limits but there are times when I wish I had a bigger tow vehicle. You may want to take a look. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Eddie A.

You all are confirming what I suspected and what I've tried to explain to my wife (seemingly on deaf ears [emoji57]).

The good news is, when I originally expressed my concerns about the TT she wants vs my TV she immediately suggested that we just get a new TV. The bad news is I really love my truck and don't really want a knew one; hell, I've only been in this one three years!......decisions, decisions

Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie A. View Post
You all are confirming what I suspected and what I've tried to explain to my wife (seemingly on deaf ears [emoji57]).

The good news is, when I originally expressed my concerns about the TT she wants vs my TV she immediately suggested that we just get a new TV. The bad news is I really love my truck and don't really want a knew one; hell, I've only been in this one three years!......decisions, decisions

Buy the new TV too and enjoy both new toys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=Eddie A.;222322]You all are confirming what I suspected and what I've tried to explain to my wife (seemingly on deaf ears [emoji57]).

With a growing family you will want "bigger" as time goes by....not smaller. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is SAFETY. Lots of folks kind of blow that aspect off, but with young children and the family looking forward to fun, uneventful trips, a truck of sufficient size is mandatory.

The 31SQB is barely within the towing specs of your truck (100 lbs). Your payload will be an issue. It is 1510 lbs per online (your yellow sticker on the door will tell you exactly) and may be lower depending on options on the truck. The dry hitch weight of the trailer is 820. The GVW of the trailer is about 9000 lbs. Your loaded tongue weight will run in the 1200 lb range so you have about 300 lbs for 4 people, 100lbs for hitch, toys, BBQ, tools etc. It will be tight and probably not doable.

The 29BHS is about 800lbs lighter but has a hitch weight (dry) of 845 - heavier than the 31SQB. It's still going to be a load for the truck.

You like the truck you're in but I can assure you after one long trip with a maxed out 1/2 ton you won't like it as much; and you definitely won't be looking forward to those long trips with the RV and family. I liked my 1/2 ton as well but now that I'm used to it I like my HD as much or better (even if I need a dang ladder to get in it) and towing doesn't even come on the radar when thinking about a cross country trip.

Get the floorplan and trailer that the family likes...it will make all the difference in how much you enjoy it then get the truck that will pull it easily. That will make all the difference in how much the driver enjoys the trip and provides a ton of "peace of mind" when towing instead of squinching up every time a semi comes by you....or a gust of wind....or a whirlwind....or a braking event....or....; you get the picture My wife vehemently didn't want a new truck (mine was a year old or so) but understood the issues I explained and grudgingly said OK. After our first trip (she knew how it was driving the 1/2 ton) and her watching me for 4 days as we traveled cross county one way she told me she was so glad we had gotten a bigger truck. Not only was it obvious that I had a much better time but she did as well. She didn't realize how uptight she was simply because I was. Once you and your wife discuss these things I'm sure she will want you to get a bigger truck

As most folks will attest; go big the first time on the truck because invariably you will want to do the same with the trailer and the truck will always be a hindrance. JMHO Good luck on your choice(s) - just think of all fishing and camping awaiting the family
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote