Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
gcracker

Outside kitchen counter warping/separating.

Just noticed our outside kitchen counter is warping and separating. Anyone else have this issue? We have been pretty diligent about closing it when it rains, but it has been pretty humid.
gcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
gcracker

Anybody? It will definitely be on our list the next time it goes to the dealer.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
GaryWT

We had our counter replaced after one year. We noticed it last year and had a new one ordered over the winter. This spring I brought it to the dealer and it took 2-3 hours for them to replace it. We did have some water leak from the fridge at one point and I stopped leaving anything of weight on it while traveling/ storage. Taken care of under warranty.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
WaltBennett

You've probably the same pathetic counter top Keystone uses inside that doesn't have a continuous top, rolled over the front edge. Instead it's a two piece glued up thing and ANY moisture will cause it to delaminate. We had that inside our TT when our coffee pot overflowed. I picked up a piece of already cut rolled edge laminate from Lowe's that was color close enough to match, cut it to fit and glued it down with Liquid Nails. Served us well for two years and when we traded in the sales person never noticed a thing.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Bar-OneRanch

We just got a used 2012 with the outdoor kitchen, I opened it after a rain and found water on the counter even though it has a gutter above it. I saw a little bit of rust on the pop rivets of the hinge, so I caulked where the hinge meets the outer frame. My thinking is during a heavy side rain water works its way under the hinge, through the rivet holes and onto the counter. I didn't see water there today but it was only a light drizzle, here's to hoping that was it.
Chris
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
gcracker

Figured i would throw an update here. Took the camper to the dealer with this on the list if issues after one year. They have ordered anew counter top and it will be replaced under warranty.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
GaryWT

Good that it is getting fixed. I think for us, when travelling at first our fridge door would open thus the freezer defrosting and water getting on the counter. time this did us in. I know have the fridge closed by velcro and a towel in there to catch any water and now there are no issues with it. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
cathcartww

We had our kitchen counter delaminate due to water getting between the edge trim and the counter top and causing the particle board to swell up to twice it's regular thickness - obviously not water resistant material as it should be. The edge trim is simply a "t" shaped plastic extrusion pushed into a groove routed into the edge of the particle board counter top. It is supposed to be installed using a nice bead of sealant to keep the water out. Taking our trim off, it was obvious that the installer ran out of caulking halfway through the job, and must not have felt like going to get another tube, so finished without any sealant. Water spilled on the counter, ran to the edge, and that was the end of that.

We were just out of warranty, so I did some surgery and got a pretty decent looking fix without replacing the whole countertop. While I was at it, I resealed all the other edges on the counters throughout the trailer - most had minimum amount of caulking originally installed.

I would advise all owners to check their counter edges - especially in potentially wet areas.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote