Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
axg1040

Newbie looking at X-lite 28sgs.

My wife and I really like the Cougar X-lite 28SGS. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 CCSB CTD 4x4 with the 20 in wheels. My bed rail height is right at 58.5". It appears that the bottom of the front nose on the 28sgs is right at 60".
Dealer tells me no problem to make it all work with lowering the pin and/or raising the hitch. Any memebers out there with a bed rail height as high as mine and still able to tow level? My concern is towing it nose high to make it all work. Thank you.
axg1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My F250 bed floor is 35" from the ground, the top of the side of the box is 55" from the ground. I tow a 27RKS which is built on the same frame rails/suspension and is 30'5" long. The SGS is 30'10" long. So, they are essentially "very close" to the same trailer. My trailer clears the bed by about 8.5". The front of the frame I beams sits about 1" higher than the back of the I beams, so I am about 1" "nose high". I have adjustments in my Curt hitch and my pin box that would accommodate about a 3" ability to lower the trailer.

Doing some "quick math", if your bed rails are 3.5" higher and you want to keep 8.5" clearance, the front of your trailer I beams would be about 4.5" higher than the rear. If you lowered your pinbox/hitch to have a 6" clearance, your I beams would be 2.5" lower, putting them about 2" higher than the back. I would suggest keeping at least 6" of space between the bed rails and the trailer overhang. I'd guess that to get your trailer "level" at the I beam front and rear, you'd have about 4" of bed clearance, assuming your truck "squats" the same as mine does with the pin weight on the hitch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
axg1040

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
axg1040

Can anybody tell me on the X-lite 5th wheels what the measurement is from the ground to the bottom of the pin and from the ground to the bottom of the nose? Thank you.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The bottom of my pin is 45" from the ground and the bottom of my overhang is 60" from the ground. I am on crushed limestone, so it's not as "level" as concrete and may be off an inch or two.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Your truck will probably settle 2-3" as well. Most 2500 and 3500 trucks are around 57-59" to the top of the bed rails. best thing is to hook up figure out where you're at and adjust hitch and pin box accordingly. You should be fine

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
axg1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My F250 bed floor is 35" from the ground, the top of the side of the box is 55" from the ground. I tow a 27RKS which is built on the same frame rails/suspension and is 30'5" long. The SGS is 30'10" long. So, they are essentially "very close" to the same trailer. My trailer clears the bed by about 8.5". The front of the frame I beams sits about 1" higher than the back of the I beams, so I am about 1" "nose high". I have adjustments in my Curt hitch and my pin box that would accommodate about a 3" ability to lower the trailer.

Doing some "quick math", if your bed rails are 3.5" higher and you want to keep 8.5" clearance, the front of your trailer I beams would be about 4.5" higher than the rear. If you lowered your pinbox/hitch to have a 6" clearance, your I beams would be 2.5" lower, putting them about 2" higher than the back. I would suggest keeping at least 6" of space between the bed rails and the trailer overhang. I'd guess that to get your trailer "level" at the I beam front and rear, you'd have about 4" of bed clearance, assuming your truck "squats" the same as mine does with the pin weight on the hitch.
Thanks...your response helped ease my fears..
Just wanted to provide an update..
Picked up the unit on Tuesday and towed it back to our storage lot. Towed like a dream. I did however find I was a bit nose high and confirmed same with a quick measure and level check. I was 2.75" high in the front when hooked up. I had almost 9 inches of bed clearance. I was able to drop my hitch to the lowest setting and when I run a level on the frame I-beam front to back in mulitple spots I am level when hooked up. I have 7" of bed clearance on the sides and 6.5" at the tailgate. We ended up getting the 2015 Cougar X-lite HC 28SGS. I was so nervous about driving it but the scary part was it was so smooth and my Ram 2500 CTD barely broke a sweat. Thanks to all who replied regarding the bed height "issue".