Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
jcher

Water pump

I have a 2013 Cougar 279RKS Fifth wheel that we used for the first time this past week. All in all things worked ok except the water pump. It is very noisy and seems to run a long time when using the water. I have tried to find the pump but can't find it. The noise seems to be coming from below the kitchen sink but no pump there. Does anyone know where the pump might be located? There are no obvious leaks.
jcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your water pump is probably located behind a removable panel underneath the rear kitchen counter and cupboards. It should be in a line with the city/potable water inlet - that is where ours is located.
I take it that pump does work except that it is noisy and runs too long after the water has been turned off --- is that what you are saying??
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
jcher

I will try pulling some panels. The pump works but does run on.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

The panel will be held in place by 4 small screws - it isn't glued to anything. Once you have found it, come back here to find out some steps you can take to reduce the noise of the pump.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
MarkS

Also check to make sure all the fittings are tight. If the pump is sucking some air, it will take longer for it to build pressure. It should shut off a couple seconds after you close the faucet.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
rhagfo

Pumps depending on their locations can be very loud, will run while drawing water, and should shut off shortly after the water is turned off. They should not run when no water is being drawn, this is a sign of a leak.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
itstime2ride

I added a water accumulator tank after similar issues. Now the pump pressurizes the lines but the sinks and showers don't surge or have any issues

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
itstime2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
jcher

Thanks to everyone for their input. I found the water pump behind a panel in the kitchen. I could find no overt leaks, but did find that one of the caps on the low point drains was a little loose. Tightened it but the pump is still noisy and tends to run on after a faucet is turned off. I am stumped with this.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
therink

I have found that if you play with the supply line running from the pump (move it around with your hand while pump is running), you may find the sweet spot position for the line when the noise stops then use a zip tie to tie it into that position. Pump noise is usually caused by the hammer effect on the supply line itself that is in contact with a hard surface such as the floor or a wall partition. Just try to find what the line is hitting and move it one inch to the left or right. You can also try placing foam insulation on the line at these contact points.
I know this sounds weird but it works.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Sicapo

How would you define "loud"? Like you have to speak up to be heard?

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
jcher

It sounds like someone is banging on the back of the 5er. It is loud even all the way forward in the bed area. This is my fifth RV and it is the loudest pump I have ever had.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

I would suggest that you try one or more of the following:
1) purchase and install a water accumulator tank. (Do a forum search on here to find out what others have to say about this)
2) purchase and install a water pump silencer kit
3) remove short, rigid hoses on the inlet and outlet sides of the pump and install flexible, Stainless Steel lines.
3) check where the lines pass through partitions - cupboards, etc and wrap the pipe with foam insulation where it passes through a wood cutout.
4) remount the water pump on a piece of thick rubber an/or cork to dampen the movement and sound of the pump.

I'd try the last three before getting an accumulator tank and the silencer kit.

If the last three suggestions don't work, then go for the first two.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
SkiSmuggs

I replaced mine with a Shurflo Revolution rated for quiet. It did the job. The silencer kits are merely two pieces of flexible hose and my original pump already had flexible hose. I still used the kit to give me more play for the installation of the new pump. The original pump was very loud.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
jcher

Thanks everyone. I will be working on this.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
SkiSmuggs

This is what I got and am very happy with it:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ter-pump/49007
Old 07-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
Whitewolf

I just installed the Shurflo Revolution that SkiSmuggs mentioned above. I am amazed at how little noise this pump makes. MUCH quieter. The rubber feet are a lot thicker than the Flojet I took out.

I added an accumulator to the Flojet and it didn't help. Took it out when I installed the Shurflo with the thought of reinstalling it if needed. It's not needed.

One thing I did that I probably didn't need to do was add some more foam rubber from an old exercise mat under the pump.

One thing I did that I know helped was to add some of that rubber under wherever water line or fitting that was anywhere near the board that all the lines are connected to. I was getting some vibration noise from there also.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
Shadow cruise

Water pump issues

I have a 2012 keystone cougar 5th wheel and my pump sounds like it is blowing air out of it after you shut the faucet off and it only does this if you are dry camping using the 12 volt battery. There aren't any leaks. If I am hooked up to electric or to a generator it works fine.
Shadow cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #18
jsmith948

Spent some time yesterday working on our noisy water pump. As suggested by Hankpage in another thread, I placed a 1/2 " rubber pad under the rubber feet on the pump and then went through the trailer and wrapped foam pipe insulation (from Lowe's) around the pex lines wherever they went through a wall or cabinet. The pump is very quiet now - Hankpage!

On edit: After a search, there have been many threads suggesting the use of foam and/or rubber pads - thanks to all - this forum is great!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote