Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
LateArrivalforLSU

Holding Tank Not Closing All the Way...Do I Need To Remove Black Skirting Underneath?

I have to get to my valve on the holding tank. I'm assuming I have to remove the black skirting underneath that covers the tank up, correct? Anyone remove the skirting? I'll be working by myself, so this appears to be kind of a pain to do and to get it rehung after I fix the black tank valve. Any other options beside removing the skirting?

I really wish there was an easier way to access the holding tank valve for inspection but it's practically hidden by the underbelly skirting.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
GaryWT

Other than going straight up the tube. Most likely stuff stuck in the groove it closes into unless you know it is something else. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Ron

Before you go through all the trouble of removing the coroplast underbelly, hook up the black tank flush, let it flush for 10-15 minuets and work the valve in and out, as mentioned there probably some solids jammed in the knife valve, of course you need to be dumping the water at the same time, it happened to me twice and I got ours freed up in just a few minuets, good luck...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #4
WaltBennett

X2 what Ron wrote. Also could try adding a second shut off valve at the end of the drain pipe, a cup of dishwasher soap & filling the tank, then drain & power wash. If nothing else, it'll be a lot cleaner if you have to take it apart . .

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #5
therink

If above measures do not work, here is what I did to remove and repair my black tank valve (BTW, I had a baby wipe jammed into the valve seat):

1) Before you start, go to a local business that make and sell vinyl graphic/signs. Ask if they will give or sell you a 2' x 2' piece of black coroplast (same as belly material). Also, get about a dozen 1/2" long self tapping bolts, some wheel bearing grease, and a roll of gorilla tape. You will need these later. Have someone standing by to help and hand you tools, rags, etc.
2) Fill and flush your black tank about 5 times (more is better, trust me)
3) Locate centerline on belly adjacent to the black tank 3" drain pipe (this is where your valve should be)
4) Using a razor knife, cut 6" x 6" 3 sided square opening with uncut side toward the front. Pull down belly coroplast and peek inside with a flashlight. You should see both black and grey tank and valves and also a T drain pipe connecting the two tanks to the outward drain pipe. Beware, you will likely have sawdust or other debris fall onto you. You may also see a bunch of tank sensor wiring hanging loosely in there. You may also have a layer of 1/4" foil insulation that you may need to cut a hole into. Just go slow and be aware not to damage these things.
5) Once you locate the valves look inside and check out the layout. This is when I cut open a 18" x 18" opening to service the valves. You may want to make sure that whatever you cut open, it will give you good access to the 4 bolts on the valves for removal. Also make sure there are no wires or tank bottoms that you can damage with your utility knife.
6) Once you have the belly opened up, take another look at the valves and tanks. On my unit, there is about 18" between the black and grey tanks with opposing valves and tank drain openings. The two tank drains are connected together with valve flanges and 3" pvc T which then drain to the outward drain pipe.
7) Using a ratchet and nut driver (7/16"?), loosen and remove the 4 bolts on black tank valve.
8) This is where it got difficult for me. Because the tank drains share a rigid T pipe to opposing drains, there is no give in the piping to remove the valve. You need about 3/4" separation of the drain pipe and valve flange to remove the valve from the valve seats. What I did what cut 2 lengths of 2x4 about 1" longer than the width between the two tanks. I then carefully wedged the 2x4s up between the tanks on either dise of the valves to push (flex) the tank end walls in somewhat to give enough space to separate the valve from the flanges and remove it. I was hesitant at first but the tanks do have a bit of flexibility to them. I then wiggled the valve loose (took some force). This is when you dont want to have your face directly below the valve as you will get a bath. Have some rags ready.
9) Once the valve is removed, you will see two black o ring seals. Be careful not to lose or damage them. If you have something lodged in the valve seat, you will see or feel it with your fingers. (Did I tell you to wear nitrile gloves?)
10) Once the debris is removed, test the movement of the valve to make sure it is closing completely.
11) Now reinstall the valve in reverse procedure. Before installing the valve. Rub grease all over the valve seats to make the seals stick in place. I also coated the valve seats and gate valve with grease to for good measure. It is tricky getting the valve to realign while ensuring the valve seals seat properly (careful not to damage or curl them when putting the valve back in place)
12) Now reinstall and tighten the bolts.
13) Fill the black tank all the way to the top with water using a garden hose (in the toilet), check for leaks at the valve. If ok, then go ahead and dump the tank.
14) Using the piece of corplast that you got at the sign shop, install it over the hole and secure with self tapping bolts (using a drill with nut driver bit). Careful not to puncture the tanks when driving the bolts in. Next, seal up the edges with Gorilla Tape.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #6
jsmith948

Very informative post Steve - Great info! Hope we never need it, but will be good to have this reference if we ever do

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Very informative post Steve - Great info! Hope we never need it, but will be good to have this reference if we ever do
You are welcome. I hope you don't have to go that route either. In my case, flushing didn't help and I wanted to fix the problem.
I copied and pasted those instructions from an old PM I sent a forum member that had the same issue. I figured that this may help as I believe you have a similar tank/valve set up as my front tanks.
I have certified myself as the poop expert.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote