Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Fastback

New Laredo 5th wheel

Ok, today my wife and I put some money down on a 2015 Laredo 295SCK.

As you will note I recently started a thread on the 270SRL, but got no responses. After spending a few days thinking about it we decided that the kitchen counter top was a bit too small, also the chairs were not recliners.

The 295 has a fire place, recliners and 3 slide outs.

We still need to do the final signing which will take place next week. After that it will take another week to have the camper prepped. Oh, total length of the camper is 32.6 feet.

If any one has any input on this unit, please leave a comment.

Paul
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
therink

My only comment is I highly recommend that you don't sign the final papers until the prep work is complete, you have personally performed a thorough PDI and you are satisfied with EVERYTHING.
A great pre delivery checklist (PDI) form is available in this forum to download.
Congratulations and let us know if any more questions.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Sounds like you made a good choice, we love the fireplace and recliners in our Alpine and counter space is always a premium. We actually leave the sink covers on and I set up a dishwashing station at the outdoor shower. Also do all of our cooking outside so the stove cover stays closed. One of the reasons we went with the Alpine over others we looked at is the flush sink and stove covers creating more counter space

We use our heat pump and fireplace quite a bit to keep the chill off until the furnace is needed. We have spent about 30 nights in ours so far this year, still on the first bottle of propane. I pull the second bottle out for the camp chef so it is great to know that I can heat with electric at night if I have to.

That reminds me, I should probably fill the bottles before our next trip.

Good luck with and enjoy your new RV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Fastback

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I misstated the paper signing. We did place a deposit on the Laredo and we will be going in sometime this week to do the paper work for the financing. Unfortunately we are not paying cash.

Once approved they will move to the prepping and only then will we be walk through the unit. Yes, I plan on downloading the site check list, if I can find it.

Last night my wife started looking at possible locations for a shake down run. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are likely possibilities.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The PDI is located here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

It's in General Questions and is the very first thread (sticky)...

If I might suggest, you may find that it's better to stick somewhere within 20-30 miles of home for the first weekend camp (many people even camp in their driveway the first weekend). That way, if you need something, forgot something or something doesn't work, you're not out on an "expensive" vacation and trying to reorganize. It's much easier to "run back home" to get the extra hose, the fitting that's sitting on the workbench, etc.... And, don't forget to devise a "workable" means to change a blown tire, whether it be a series of 2x8's, a jack, or whatever means you plan to use. Just make sure it will really work by trying it out and don't forget the lug wrench, a 3/8 socket set won't break the lugs loose.......

Good Luck and congratulations,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Fastback

Well we picked up our 5th wheel yesterday. I don't have a lot to comment on at this point. It towed home very well. We were able to combine both hi-way and secondary roads. I have no complaints regarding towing.

As for the dealership everyone was friendly. So that was good, but there were some things that were lacking. We were given a date and time for pick up. I expected the unit to be ready to go. When we got there it was as if we were not expected.

Here is what we noted as we went through the unit. Our unit has a freestanding table (it is screwed to the floor because it is a pedestal). Well the table had been installed at the manufacture in reverse so you could not extend for the leaf. Not a big deal, but it should have been taken care of at the dealer before we got there. When we first looked at the unit I had noted that on of the switched on the panel was not seated properly. The salesman said he would tell service department. and it would be taken care of. Well it was not done.

While the person that walked us through the unit was a nice guy we did not feel that he really knew the product. This may be the dealers fault in not giving the proper training. I realize that there are many different models and unit out there I would still expect the person to have more first hand knowledge. Many of the technical questions I asked were not completely answered.

Anyway, once we got home I decided to take my own tour an check out items.
First thing we found was we had no crank handle for the rear stabilizing jacks. So that means we will have to make a trip tomorrow. I also wanted to see how the battery was installed. This camper has a special compartment for the battery. When I touched the top of the battery box I found that it had not been installed correctly. It was only screwed down in the front and the top was acting like a hinge and not sealed the vent was not really working. In addition, the wires were not properly run thru the slots in the battery case. I had to disconnect and reroute the wires so the cover could be installed properly.

One other thing, it may sound a little picky but when the spare tire cover was installed the Keystone label was not horizontal. It was on a 35 to 40 degree angle. I know it was installed by the dealer because it was not on the unit when we originally looked at the unit. This only tells me that the service man who worked on this unit did not care.

When I first got out of the service (back in 71) I worked at a travel trailer dealership and ultimately became the service manager. I guess what I am saying is that I am service orientated and have a good idea of how a camper should be prepped etc. So I don't think I am being too picky.

I'm sure that I'll have more comments as well as a number of questions in the future, but for now I'm going to get the camper ready for a trial run.

Regards,

Paul