Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
jerrycougar2014

Cougar or Montana High Country weaknesses?

Just bought a 2014 Cougar High Country 5th and wondered in anyone had any issues over the years (believe started in 2011).
jerrycougar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
jramsey

Cougar or Montana High Country weaknesses?

We have the Cougar High Country 299RKS. We have owned it since the fall of 2010 and have had only minor problems due to the light weight construction. The pantry in the rear near the refrigerator had very thin lightweight shelves in it and when the trailer bounced a few times going down the road some of our heavier items broke the shelves. I replaced them with heavier duty plywood and matched the stain, it looks great now and we have had no further problems. The material they used was similar to luan or door skins. Which model do you have?

Fir Na Tine
Ora et labora
2011 Cougar high country 299 RKS
2014 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 L Duramax
jramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Albert

The only issue we have had with ours is a couple broken ladder steps that goes to the roof. I am now on a diet, hope that will solve the issue.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
warsw

We have a Montana HC 343RL and have had no issues what so ever. Love this trailer. I really don’t think you will have any issues that come up just because it is a HC.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Cougar HC issues

We have a Cougar 291RLS, and regarding our issues with the light-weight construction, there is a rearward facing cabinet with 2 big drawers, and the cabinet facing is made from 1/2 in wood stock. With the big drawers, and the weight we've put in them, the cabinet front broke, spliting the wood and pulling the screws out of the drawer slide mounts. With the size of the drawers, it would seem to be important to have full 3/4 inch thick cabinet fronts. Some places I could see the weight savings, but not here.

I personally repaired it by gluing a full 3/4 inch thick 'backer' on the cabinet face front. where the screws hold it and the drawer slider. The 2 pieces I glued in weigh less than 1/2 pound, and if the full frame was built with 3/4 in wood, it would probably be about 1/2 pound difference, so I question the reasoning to use the thinner wood.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Poppy's 5th Wheel

We have a 2011 299RKS which we bought new almost 2 years ago now. I have had a number of minor problems that I attribute to the light weight construction. The exact same pantry issue jramsey reported and I fixed it the same way, essentially. I have also replaced the clothes rod in the front wardrobe twice now. We would arrive at destinations only to find all our hung clothes on the floor and the pole had bent or the brackets had pulled out or something. I finally went to a different setup and we seem to be fine now.

The reality is I never truly compared the construction in any detail between say the Cougar and the Cougar High Country so I don't know what failings are "weight savings" related versus just poor design or construction.

I am a little jealous of owners of newer models because I have seen improvements I would have loved to have. 50 AMP standard so I could have a bedroom A/C is top of the list and slammers on the compartment doors I would love.

I'm still a believer though. My best friend and travel companion just bought a Montana HC and my wife and I really like it a lot. I just don't like the extra 5 feet in length over ours.

Good luck with your new rig!
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Wayne

Congrats on the Cougar HC. We purchased our 2012 299RKS in the fall of 2011. I too wish we had the 50 amp & 16 in wheels (no tire issues yet). I have made a couple of changes such as making the interior steps 3 short steps instead of 2 tall ones. We also replaced the recliners with theater seating. It doesn't swivel but I never have to move it for travel or use. We have had no issues with shelves, doors, etc, & one trip included miles of rough & twisting construction roads. My biggest beef has been the wall paper wrinkling in 5 or 6 places. I haven't fixed those yet. The front cap also has some fading at the very top. I only see it when I am on a ladder washing or waxing. I did replace the commode seal. It wouldn't hold water & was a simple fix. Another HC owner raised the floor on the bath side of the bed & I am considering that. We love the shower in the Cougar 333MKS but like our overall rear kit floor plan much better. Happy trails!
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I have made a couple of changes such as making the interior steps 3 short steps instead of 2 tall ones.
Hey Wayne, do you have any pictures of this project? I have seen it done on other models but not ours. My wife really wants to do this before we can't walk up the steps anymore but I didn't think there was enough room.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Wayne

I put 3 photos on my profile. You can check those. I may have a couple more. PM me with an email address & I will send what I have & gladly try to answer any questions. I am fairly handy at building/remodeling & this project was about what I expected....meaning it was not any easier or harder than expected.

An extra piece of carpet (small rug size) was left in our 5er & that made it easy to recover the steps. I also used a small piece of the wall board (from the storage bay project) to cover the hole left when I cut back the floor; making room for the extra step.

I also straightened the curved rear wall of the storage bay & put an L shaped hinged door on the panel for access to the WH bypass. Now I don't have to remove screws each time. We visit family in FLa for 3 to 4 wks in Jan. That means I winterize before the trip & winterize again before heading home.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote