Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #21
Leatherman

I have the same macerator that B-O-B has. It works great.
There are some state parks I go to that only have a single dump station and the line is bad when everyone leaves at the same time.

I can just bypass the line and drive home. I use it to dump into my home septic system uphill and about 60' away. The motor is very powerful and has no issues with pumping uphill that distance.

I left the 12v battery clips on mine and connect it directly to the battery on the TT. I did not want to go the kitchen disposal method because if I dumped elsewhere from home I may not have 110V available to power the unit.

If you catch these units on sale you can get them for less than $200.

My unit does get warm so it can overheat (this has not happened to me yet). Follow the instructions in the package and do not let it run for longer than specified in the instructions). Never walk away from it while running (as with anything dump related I guess).
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
Modifier

Wow! That Homemade macerator pump is a real Rube Goldberg rig. About 20 years ago I purchased a Flojet macerator pump and have used it with success since then. That homemade rig runs on 110 volts and will need a campground with hookups whereas a Flojet works on 12 volts and can use the RV's power. The homemade pump will not pump uphill. My sewer connection is six feet above my home pad and is 30 feet away.
The Flojet pumps a strong stream so if you are going to pump into a "blue tank" you need to be careful and not overfill or you might have a nasty "explosion".
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #23
travelin texans

Haven't used it, but Sewer Solutions has a water powered macerator, no battery or plug in needed just water hose.
As to dumping into septic or city sewer, I there's no difference in the quality of the contents, it all stinks, of your rv being tank than what you're flushing from in the house.
NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH WOULD I DRAG A BUCKET FULL THROUGH THE HOUSE TO DUMP INTO THE TOILET!!!
That ranks right up there with saving used tp in a yogurt tub to start camp fires! YUK!!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #24
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by damillessr View Post
I saw this on Pintrest and would like the forum opinion, all this becase when I had my $7k sewer done last year I forgot to add an RV dump station 23' away, just dumb. This may solve my problem.
http://steampunkworkshop.com/diy-rv-macerator-pump/
Nice idea,, I like that,, although I am on city sewer but have a clean out about 20 feet from where I can park the rv, I just dump it in there
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #25
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Haven't used it, but Sewer Solutions has a water powered macerator, no battery or plug in needed just water hose.
As to dumping into septic or city sewer, I there's no difference in the quality of the contents, it all stinks, of your rv being tank than what you're flushing from in the house.
NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH WOULD I DRAG A BUCKET FULL TROUGH THE HOUSE TO DUMP INTO THE TOILET!!!
I have the Sewer Solutions device, works great in my situation. I connect the SS device to about 100 feet of 1 1/4" PVC pipe and dump into a sewer cleanout on the side of the house. I use 2 garden hoses, one to power the SS and one for the camper's built-in black tank flush. I love that I can take my time, drink a beer, and make sure everything gets nice and clean so my level indicators work correctly.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #26
moodman

How far can a macerator pump?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #27
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodman View Post
In pump terms you need to know the 'head' of the pump. It only matters how far up you have to pump, horizontal is limited by your hose length.

If the pump has 10 foot head, it can pump up ten feet.

I don't know what the head is on these pumps. Just trying to help with terminology.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #28
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
I have the Sewer Solutions device, works great in my situation. I connect the SS device to about 100 feet of 1 1/4" PVC pipe and dump into a sewer cleanout on the side of the house. I use 2 garden hoses, one to power the SS and one for the camper's built-in black tank flush. I love that I can take my time, drink a beer, and make sure everything gets nice and clean so my level indicators work correctly.
I originally bought a battery-powered macerator setup. It was okay, but not great. For the past 8 years I have used the Sewer Solutions, and it has never failed me. Cannot say enough good things about it!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #29
gearhead

My city sewer clean out is near the street. Never used it. If I have just a few gallons of black and gray I will drain it in my toy parking lot. Just a few gallons. I can't smell it, after 15 minutes. Neighbors haven't complained. Tomatoes are green.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #30
jimborokz

Talking

Quote:
NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH WOULD I DRAG A BUCKET FULL THROUGH THE HOUSE TO DUMP INTO THE TOILET!!!
That ranks right up there with saving used tp in a yogurt tub to start camp fires! YUK!!!!!
I use the sewer solution all winter in my southern location (private lot) and it works great. I pump it uphill about 1' in a 10' run into a 2" pipe that runs a slight downhill about 200' to the septic system. Some municipalities allow this and others do not. At my home I am allowed to dump into the septic tank but not allowed to leave the rv connected all the time. You need to check with the local code officer for this.

FYI, cousin Eddie in Christmas vacation was dumping into the storm sewer. I don't think anyplace allows that one
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #31
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodman View Post
I connect a 100' 5/8" garden host to mine, the elevation change, from the trailer through the guest bath window, is ~ 8'

I pump the black tank first, while using the flush system and then the gray tank.

The macerator will pump more volume than the black tank flush will deliver.

-Brian
Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I connect a 100' 5/8" garden host to mine, the elevation change, from the trailer through the guest bath window, is ~ 8

-Brian
That sounds like another perfect setup for a very ugly, nasty mess!
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #33
Logan X

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
My city sewer clean out is near the street. Never used it. If I have just a few gallons of black and gray I will drain it in my toy parking lot. Just a few gallons. I can't smell it, after 15 minutes. Neighbors haven't complained. Tomatoes are green.
I don’t think I’m going to eat salad at your house
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
When we first started camping state parks had signs posted "our trees love your gray water" which was before all chemicals we dump down the drain today. NEVER EVER was it allowed to dump black water on the ground.
Better be putting back some $$$ for the fine when you get caught doing that! That's highly illegal not to mention completely unsanitary!
I don't think I'd mention it on a public forum again either!
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
DAMILLER_SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Would it not be easier to stop at a dump station be it municipal or at a campground and off load the black tank. We live in an isolated part of BC but always seem to drive by a dump station on the way home from whatever area we camp at. JMHO
Fair question. but in "MY" situation, I ususally have all the time in the world (retired) to empty the tank once I get home. And in the very dense area of My California, there are not a lot of options for dumping otherwise. And as is stated elsewhere, it is not illegal, since it is the same thing that goes in my toilet.
TYVM
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #36
Cyberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damillessr View Post
Fair question. but in "MY" situation, I ususally have all the time in the world (retired) to empty the tank once I get home. And in the very dense area of My California, there are not a lot of options for dumping otherwise. And as is stated elsewhere, it is not illegal, since it is the same thing that goes in my toilet.
TYVM
Without divulging if I'm in the city or county, I can tell you for certain that a licensed plumber cannot & will not install a cleanout or RV dump connection knowing that said connection is for RV dumping purposes in a residential location within the city limits.

We recently had substantial remodel work done, I asked about it. The electrician was more than happy to pull me a 30amp RV outlet on the side of our garage but the plumber wanted nothing to do with it.

What one does with an exterior cleanout (like reduce a 4" male pipe thread plug to 3/4" female hose fitting and keep it just short enough to not be visible) isn't any of the plumber's business...
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #37
gearhead

Quote:
When we first started camping state parks had signs posted "our trees love your gray water" which was before all chemicals we dump down the drain today. NEVER EVER was it allowed to dump black water on the ground.
Better be putting back some $$$ for the fine when you get caught doing that! That's highly illegal not to mention completely unsanitary!
I don't think I'd mention it on a public forum again either!
Yeah but I'm not doing that in a park. I'm doing that in the back corner of an acre lot with 20,000 acres of woods 10 ft. away. And on top of 6" of crushed limestone. When I say a few gallons I mean 2-3 gallons of combined black and gray with nothing but Dawn soap and maybe fabric softener. The neighbors dogs drop more fecal material than me.
But that's good advice about public forums.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #38
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
Without divulging if I'm in the city or county, I can tell you for certain that a licensed plumber cannot & will not install a cleanout or RV dump connection knowing that said connection is for RV dumping purposes in a residential location within the city limits.

We recently had substantial remodel work done, I asked about it. The electrician was more than happy to pull me a 30amp RV outlet on the side of our garage but the plumber wanted nothing to do with it.

What one does with an exterior cleanout (like reduce a 4" male pipe thread plug to 3/4" female hose fitting and keep it just short enough to not be visible) isn't any of the plumber's business...
I have city water and sewer, but as I said before I have occasionally dumped it into my clean out. The only problem I can see with it is,, even thought it's a small amount of sewage,, here your sewer bill is based on the amount of water you use, so here you pay accordingly. But since I am the mayor here I dont worry too much about it
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #39
gearhead

Quote:

Did the plumber say why he wouldn't install a RV dump? I could maybe understand it if you were doing that to use the RV for a residence but I'm puzzled by it for occasional use.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #40
jimborokz

Quote:

Curious, Does he have the same objection to adding a half bath to your residence? Seems to be the same thing.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote