Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
zuley

Leaf Spring Suspension Hangers

I hope I am using the correct terminolgy or name for these componenets. Referring the the triagular brackets that hold up the leaf spring assemblies. It is my understanding that the OE brackets have plastic busings in them and are prone to wear out and fail leaving you perhaps stranded.
Cold winter day sitting here in Ontario thinking about what maintenence I should be doing this spring on my 2013 Passport Elite 23RB.

At what point should these be replaced and what is a good replacement? Pros and Cons? Looking at the MORryde kit on line.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

A good time to replace them is at your first opportunity. "wet" bolt kits include a greaseable bolt and a bronze insert. Very easy to replace and you just need to know the length of the shackle ( the plate between the spring and the center bracket). ANY brand is better than the factory stuff.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
concours

I replaced the Factory Spring Hangers with Morryde after the 1st year when one broke Its been 5 years now and never a problem. just make sure that they get a shot of grease a couple of times a year.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
travelin texans

[QUOTE=chuckster57; ANY brand is better than the factory stuff.[/QUOTE]

100% agree!!!
As soon as you got it home from the dealer would've been the perfect time to replace them.
Mine had 5000+/- miles & plastic bushings were totally shredded & the flimsy shackles already had the holes elongated, now 60k+/- miles & no issues with the MorRyde kit.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Jackitup

Hi Zuley i totally agree a wet bolt system is the way to go I see you are located very close to me look at Cerka industries they are just in Milton you can get all your suspension parts or any trailer mechanical parts there, for a fair price and they are very knowledgeable. The website has a catalog with parts and prices listed hope this helps. BTW I know the sun was out today but man was it cold today..... I know I can’t wait to get back into the camping season. Have a good one!

Kevin
2017 F150 5.0L 4x4 XLT
4 point Equalizer
2016 bullet 274bhs
Jackitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
I hope I am using the correct terminolgy or name for these componenets. Referring the the triagular brackets that hold up the leaf spring assemblies. It is my understanding that the OE brackets have plastic busings in them and are prone to wear out and fail leaving you perhaps stranded.
Cold winter day sitting here in Ontario thinking about what maintenence I should be doing this spring on my 2013 Passport Elite 23RB.

At what point should these be replaced and what is a good replacement? Pros and Cons? Looking at the MORryde kit on line.
This thread for my 23RB should have everything you need: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=24991
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #7
linux3

Humm, last trip of this past summer I kinda felt the trailer wasn't pulling like it should. I thought maybe WDH but everything checked out.
With around 20k miles in 3 seasons I think I should check this out.
Thanks.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
jforrest

The leaf spring shackles installed by the factory, for the most part, are junk. Plastic sleeves that wear out fairly fast, causing abnormal tire wear. Should replace them with shackles that have brass sleeves and grease certs. I find it rather unnerving that the factories are allowed to put these on the road.
jforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
This thread for my 23RB should have everything you need: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=24991
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
PART 6:

With the equalizer off the TT, I used the 12 mm deep socket to drive out the nylon bushings. These were the most stubborn to remove and the socket made it much easier.

With the nylon bushings removed from the equalizer, I used 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1/2 diameter rod to clean out the holes in the equalizer.

The brass bushings were a tight fit into the equalizer. I used an old shackle bolt that I ground off the serrations on to drive the brass bushings into the equalizer. By doing so, I minimised deformation of the ends of the brass bushing.

The inside diameter of a couple of the equalizer brass bushings needed to be reamed out after installation to ensure the wet bolt did not fit too tight in the bushing. In hind sight, I should have reamed out the holes in the equalizer prior to installing the brass bushings. That way I would have had a chance to have had a more consistent fit without the loss in thickness of the thin walled brass bushing.
While a good write up I have two small suggestions of a different approach.
When I did our on a 32' 5er, I lifted the entire 5er and placed on wood "cribbing" this allowed the removal of the spring bolts without a press, just needed to place a bottle jack under the spring at the axle.

Second I used a short socket and bench vice to press in the bushings in to the equalizer.
My work space had a slope from side to side.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote