Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #1
Camper Dog

Key Pad Door Lock

Thinking of replacing the current door lock with a key less touch pad type Pros Cons? Cost?
Camper Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
Northofu1

cost is reasonable, lock is great. It comes with a remote. it beeps when you lock / unlock it, some folks don't like that. I also did baggage doors. everything fit well, received quickly.
https://www.amazon.ca/Keyless-Handle...68333229&psc=1

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
Camper Dog

Any issue on how it fit or was it just a swap out?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
Northofu1

simple swap for me

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Howie

Our 5th wheel came with one and we really like it. I always keep a key on the truck keychain but not having to have keys available is nice. Ours started acting up last summer and would not unlock using the keypad. I called the manufacturer and they had me run a test that didn't work. I had to send them pictures of the internal circuit board so they could verify it hadn't been tampered with and they send out a new unit. They are a standard size and fit into the current door cutout and required removing 4 screws. Replacement is simple.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
sorgeb2010

Love mine. Only thing is one of my remotes was taken. It was a simple fix to lock it out. I just reprogrammed the one left for now. Ordering another remote this spring.
sorgeb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

In about 2013 FasTec lock company had a problem with the internal mechanism on their door locks. The company had a recall and replaced almost all of their "standard sized door lock assemblies. Until then, almost all the RV main door locks were "standardized" and for the most part, interchangeable.... During that recall, there was a critical short supply of parts so FasTec imported a "odd sized Italian lock assembly" to keep RV manufacturers assembly lines working... Many 2013-2014 RV's were manufactured with an odd sized lock on the main door. It is not interchangeable with the "standard size lock assembly" and is about 1" taller, so trying to install anything but that size will result in a 1" gap or "hole" in the main door.

There are quite a few trailers of that era still around and as locks fail, the owners are experiencing problems locating a correctly sized replacement lock.

There are some RV's still being produced with that "oversized lock assembly" but as far as I can tell, Keystone has not used the Italian locksets since early 2015 models. Of course, as soon as anyone suggests that "all Keystone locksets are the standard size and are interchangeable"... will be the time that someone will post, "Mine isn't".....

So, check your lockset to be sure it's the correct size door cutout before ordering replacements. The "standard size" is about 3.4x4.3 inches. The oversize lock is about 3.6x5.5 inches.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
cayovelez

I have been looking at upgrading mine as well, but need to point out some concerns:
Most RV locks are made out of some sort of metal when it comes to the handles both inside and out. Most, if not all of the keypad locks I have seen are made out of plastic. This seems that it would be problematic specially the inside lock handle. Perhaps someone here may have an all metal suggestion.
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
I have been looking at upgrading mine as well, but need to point out some concerns:
Most RV locks are made out of some sort of metal when it comes to the handles both inside and out. Most, if not all of the keypad locks I have seen are made out of plastic. This seems that it would be problematic specially the inside lock handle. Perhaps someone here may have an all metal suggestion.
If you're concerned about the durability of a plastic lockset, I've not heard of any problems with the keypad locks breaking or failing beyond the occasional "bad unit".

As for security, no RV lock is going to provide "increased security" when it's installed in a fiberglass covered Styrofoam door that you can kick a hole in with a swift boot to the door..... From a security concern, either lockset, plastic or metal is not the weakest link in the entry door.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 AM   #10
Camper Dog

Great info here so Thanks! I checked mine and it is the standard measurements you listed. Thanks everyone for there input!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Just FYI- we remove more than we install...just sayin

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #12
fatcatzzz

Had one of these for three years on our '07 Montana and for two years on our current Montana and they have been flawless.

https://www.rvlock.com/
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I have had mine (RVLOCKS.COM) installed for 3 years now, so far so good. Don't know anyone else that have one installed.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
Packed2Go

I've had a RVLOCKS on our 2014 Keystone Cougar High Country TT for a little over 18 months. It was a simple 10 minute switch with the standard factory key version. The convenience of either one of us or our grandkids / visitors not having to carry a key around has been worth the price alone.

The only caveat is, be sure to have a key handy somewhere close by in the event the battery dies. I'm not sure if the RVLOCKS warn you if the battery is dying but I tried to enter our's at 10F (it's been stored outside for several months) this winter and the battery apparently died or didn't have enough juice to open the door. I will be replacing the battery with a lithium version this spring but was thankful I had a key to circumvent the battery issue.

Hope this helps!
Packed2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I use Energizer batteries in all my trail cameras. At about 10F the cameras stop working from the batteries inability to provide power below that temperature. I've started using lithium batteries in the more important trail cameras and find they work down to about -20F and keep the cameras functional.

I'd guess that Alkaline and NiMH batteries used in RV locks are similar to those used in trail cameras, so once the temperature falls below a "no-go temp" chances are the locks will not function. We don't camp in those kinds of temps, so no problem with "using the locks" but if you need to get into the trailer while in storage, it may present a problem....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
itat

RVLock seems to be the most popular brand and usually gets good reviews. I'm not convinced that they offer any better quality than the OEM locks but what they do offer is convenience. IMO, that's the only reason to consider one. If that convenience is worth the cost to you, then go ahead. They look to be a very easy installation. There is a YouTube video showing how to get rid of the beep if it bothers you.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
toolmanpm

Rv lock

We’ve had the keyless entry from RVLock for over a year and it works great. The lock did start to give extra beeps and I figured it was a low battery signal. Put in new batteries and no more extra beeps.
toolmanpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
Big1

I just replace all of my lock with RVLock.com but I only did my entry door with the keyless remote lock, I did also had all of my locks with one key lock. This work better for me it's just a little more secure.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Theoldroaddog

I have installed RVLock.com on both doors on my Keystone. They work great. No need for keys etc. the remote is a nice feature. You may need to shim the striker plate due to the co traction and expansion of the trailer. I put a couple of small washers behind my striker plates and dead bolt works as it should.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #20
vampress_me

We also have the RVLock with remote on our camper door. We’ve had it for 4 years now, and I just take the batteries out for storage over winter and a new set every spring. The batteries have always lasted the whole summer without a problem. Having the keypad saved me a long drives back home a couple of times. We have a seasonal spot at our favorite campground 3 hours from home. So camper is there all summer unless we are going on a trip with it. Twice last summer I headed down there and forgot the camper keys at home, and of course didn’t think about until we were at the campground. Luckily, used the keypad to get in the camper and used the spare set of keys in there to get in the rest of the camper storage areas.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote