Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Michigan Pasties

First Pasties. Really good! Imagine my surprise/embarrassment when I found out they are pronounced with a short, not long, A. I've been in the city too long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
notanlines

Hey, big guy, there are pasties (with a long A) in Michigan also. But you probably aren't bringing Momma to the establishment. What was the name of the restaurant where you had them? I guess in other words, was it a pasty only place or just happen to have them on the menu?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Hey, big guy, there are pasties (with a long A) in Michigan also. But you probably aren't bringing Momma to the establishment. What was the name of the restaurant where you had them? I guess in other words, was it a pasty only place or just happen to have them on the menu?
The Pancake Chef, they specialized in all foods. Really good!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Chip,

When you head toward the bridge into the lower peninsula on US2, just after you leave the little town (really only 3 stores and some rental condos) of Brevort, about 13 miles further east, just before you get into St Ignace, on the right (south) side of US2 you'll see Lehto's Pasties. It's an old "converted Dairy Queen style building with a gravel parking lot. BEST PASTIES IN THE UP !!! The address is 1983 US-2, St Ignace, MI and they are open from 10AM to 8PM every day but Sunday which is 10am-6pm. They make them daily and when they sell out, they close the doors, so depending on what time you go through, you may or may not get to sample the bestest......

They sell them "ready to eat, ready to cook or frozen" and yes, they sell them all, every day.... We've been known to drive the 75 miles just to buy a couple to bring home for the next day.....

http://www.lehtospasties.com/

As an observation, ALL pasties are good, it's just that some are "gooder" than others...... Try Lehto's, you'll very likely agree.....

Safe travels,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Chip,

When you head toward the bridge into the lower peninsula on US2, just after you leave the little town (really only 3 stores and some rental condos) of Brevort, about 13 miles further east, just before you get into St Ignace, on the right (south) side of US2 you'll see Lehto's Pasties. It's an old "converted Dairy Queen style building with a gravel parking lot. BEST PASTIES IN THE UP !!! The address is 1983 US-2, St Ignace, MI and they are open from 10AM to 8PM every day but Sunday which is 10am-6pm. They make them daily and when they sell out, they close the doors, so depending on what time you go through, you may or may not get to sample the bestest......

They sell them "ready to eat, ready to cook or frozen" and yes, they sell them all, every day.... We've been known to drive the 75 miles just to buy a couple to bring home for the next day.....

http://www.lehtospasties.com/

As an observation, ALL pasties are good, it's just that some are "gooder" than others...... Try Lehto's, you'll very likely agree.....

Safe travels,
Now I can't wait to try them. I saw it on my way in and wondered about them. Now I know. Thanks.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Lehto's was all that and much more. So glad we took the tie to go. I highly recommend them if you are in the area. Also went to Whitefish Point and the Shipwreck museum. Wow is all I can say! I wonder if we were anywhere close to JRTJH (John)?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

About 50 miles directly south on I-75. I thought Lehto's would be a hit for you. That "looks like sausage gravy" in the picture you posted was kind of a "shock".... No "real Yupper" would ever put sausage gravy on a pasty ROFL.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
Desert185

Better than catsup.

This thread has blasphemy content.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
jsmith948

Okay - being a deprived individual that has never been to Michigan, what is a Pasty? In CTBruce's photo, it looks like a sort of meat pot pie? Hope to make it to that part of the world next year but until then?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

It's a Cornish meat pie, usually made with diced (not ground) beef, potatoes, rutabaga, onion, spices and baked until "golden brown". Often served "plain" some prefer catsup, others like a rich brown gravy. I like mine with a good 1/4 sliced dill pickle and chocolate milk.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The one was a breakfast pastie. Hmm, no gravy? Michigan is a beautiful state. Would be a nice place to retire.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
The one was a breakfast pastie. Hmm, no gravy? Michigan is a beautiful state. Would be a nice place to retire.

I'd suppose a breakfast pastie is a "marketing tool" for some restaurants. It's not the "original" as you can now attest to. LOL But, if it's good, no matter what you call it, "chow down" !!!

Michigan is a pretty good place to live. When we retired I "fought my DW" tooth and nail about staying in Louisiana. She eventually won and we built a new house up here. My biggest concern was the hunting and fishing I'd miss. Well, we really do more fishing and hunting here than in Louisiana. I've got deer, bear, turkey, grouse, squirrel and rabbits "right out the back door"...

As for "deep sea fishing" we're going on a Lake Michigan salmon/trout charter tomorrow out of Petoskey. It's a 43' charter "open sport fishing boat" so honestly, it's bigger than most of the deep sea boats we fished in the Gulf of Mexico. Today the boat charter "limited out on King Salmon and Lake Trout. 4 people on the charter and 20 fish. The smallest was 12 pounds with a couple over 20. As far as I'm concerned, it may not be snapper, tuna or redfish, but it's still "crankin' em in"....

Summers are fantastic, winters (if you have the toys) are also fantastic. We bought the fifth wheel to go south in the winter, but honestly, between snowshoeing, cross country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling and hunting, we've been too busy enjoying the winter to go south except for the first year we had the Cougar. This year, if we don't get lots of snow, we'll probably head to Florida, but if it's "good snowmobiling" we'll be too busy travelling around on those to take time to go south. Some people like motorcycles, we've grown into snowmobiles, travel across the state, tour along the Great Lakes and at times we can go all day long without seeing another human. Really gives us the opportunity to "commune with nature"....

I'd never admit it to my DW, but I'm kind of glad she "won the argument" about where to retire......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
MarcS

Now I'm hungry for Pasties! Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That confirms what our eyes were seeing. We're talking about it for sure.

We went through Petoskey today on our way to Traverse City. What a nice area. Quaint town too. Have a great time fishing. Limit out yourself!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
CrazyCain

Headed up next tuesday to GermFask in the U.P to do some camping on the Manistique River at Northland outfitters.Will be passing Lehtos on the way and will be stopping to buy some for the trip. Also will be going to the Garlyn Zoo east of Naubenway, off US 2. Great Zoo and full of native Michigan animals and other strange things from arounf the country. LOve checking out the Wolves!!!! Will post some pictures of our trip..First time pulling my Hideout across the bridge.. born and raised in the Great State of Michigan..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

We lived in Gwinn for about 5 years and tried to get down to visit with the DW's family about one weekend a month. That's a bunch of trips across the bridge. We "changed up" the drive by going 77 through Germfask/Blaney Park, then next time through Engadine on 117. Then, in the summer we'd take 123 through Ozark and up to 28, but that was always a "LONG TRIP" through the Seney Stretch.... We never tried that route in the winter and stayed on US2 along the "banana belt" to Escanaba and up 35 to Gwinn. Less snow that way. On occasion along US28 along Lake Superior from Newberry to Munising and then from Munising into Marquette, there would be 10' of snow on the shoulders and 1-2 feet of fresh powder on the road. Even following the snow plow was never a guarantee of "easy driving".

Enjoy your trip, that part of the UP is always nice in August/September. Safe travels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #17
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We lived in Gwinn for about 5 years and tried to get down to visit with the DW's family about one weekend a month. That's a bunch of trips across the bridge. We "changed up" the drive by going 77 through Germfask/Blaney Park, then next time through Engadine on 117. Then, in the summer we'd take 123 through Ozark and up to 28, but that was always a "LONG TRIP" through the Seney Stretch.... We never tried that route in the winter and stayed on US2 along the "banana belt" to Escanaba and up 35 to Gwinn. Less snow that way. On occasion along US28 along Lake Superior from Newberry to Munising and then from Munising into Marquette, there would be 10' of snow on the shoulders and 1-2 feet of fresh powder on the road. Even following the snow plow was never a guarantee of "easy driving".

Enjoy your trip, that part of the UP is always nice in August/September. Safe travels.
Gonna be resting next Tuesday early evening at the Gaylord Walmart off 75. If your in the heighborhood, stop by for a chat...

???

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #18
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Gonna be resting next Tuesday early evening at the Gaylord Walmart off 75. If your in the heighborhood, stop by for a chat...

???
We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" they have a real good pasty. Our family has been here forever. Well at least since the 1870s.
Won't be traveling south for the winters for a few more years.
It is hard to go very far when the weather is nice, we have so much to see right here and the people are the best. I hope you enjoy the great UP and the rest of Michigan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #19
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
That confirms what our eyes were seeing. We're talking about it for sure.

We went through Petoskey today on our way to Traverse City. What a nice area. Quaint town too. Have a great time fishing. Limit out yourself!

If you think Petoskey is quaint now you should've seen it years ago. Friends who are native to the area are upset over the way their town has changed for the worse. Bigger isn't always better
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #20
notanlines

Ketchup on pasty would be akin to steak sauce on Kobi beef.
If this falls in anyone's travels I would highly recommend Joe's Pasties in Rhinelander, WI. These people even render their own lard for the crust.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote