Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Salt Life

Replacing sewer roof vent

Shattered it pretty good while removing snow b4 our trip. Vent was buried.. I saw the local hardware store had a Camco replacement. Is there a better product? And what is the sealant used that seems to spread over the area.... Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320_143818.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	20960  
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
bobbecky

The Camco cap is probably no different than what was installed. There are some other brands of vents that are supposed to do a better job of venting, but use the original design as it will probably hold up better to shovel damage. The sealant is Dicor self leveling, which that or the non-self leveling Dicor caulk is the only sealant that should be used on the roof material. https://dicorproducts.com/product/epdm-lap-sealants/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Salt Life

How do u get the old sealant off? Heat gun and putty knife?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Salt Life

Anyone?

I know the aftermarket parts are cheaper made than original even when using the same manufacturer..
Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

There are various manufacturers for the roof vents. Etrailer sells Camco. Someone may have some insight on one that is better than the other but I don't and OEM replacement would probably be what I did.

Just pull/peel off the old Dicor, clean it up, put on the new vent and reseal with new Dicor. Dicor is VERY forgiving and pliable - good stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Salt Life

Thanks sourdough. To get OEM, would one order directly from Keystone? I really haven't looked into it yet..
Old 03-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Trying to get a "Keystone" OEM product through your dealer would probably cost you double what it would from another source, take forever (unless they had one in stock) and be the same thing as the Camco - I would look into it if you have a resource available. If not, I would find one like the one you have from any number of internet sources and replace it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The vent stack is a 1.5" PVC pipe that runs from the holding tank up through a wall and sits about 2" above the roof. When removing the old cap, you "should" be able to twist it off without damaging the rooftop flange. If so, then all you need is a CAMCO sewer vent cap. ACE hardware has them for $5. And I believe I saw some at WalMart last time I was wasting time in the RV section.

As for the DICOR, just clean it up with alcohol or 409, remove any loose or damaged sealant, make sure all the "loose edges are removed/peeled back to where it's adhered to the roofing membrane. Then, after the alcohol/409 dries, apply a liberal layer of DICOR self-leveling sealant, being sure to overlap all the "loose/peeled away areas. Let it set up for about an hour and then install the new vent cap and you're done.

WARNINF: Don't push or pull the PVC pipe, if you pull it out of the holding tank or push it further into the holding tank you may cause a leak or create a venting problem. Just be careful with how you remove the old cap and don't let the PVC pipe move on you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The vent stack is a 1.5" PVC pipe that runs from the holding tank up through a wall and sits about 2" above the roof. When removing the old cap, you "should" be able to twist it off without damaging the rooftop flange. If so, then all you need is a CAMCO sewer vent cap. ACE hardware has them for $5. And I believe I saw some at WalMart last time I was wasting time in the RV section.

As for the DICOR, just clean it up with alcohol or 409, remove any loose or damaged sealant, make sure all the "loose edges are removed/peeled back to where it's adhered to the roofing membrane. Then, after the alcohol/409 dries, apply a liberal layer of DICOR self-leveling sealant, being sure to overlap all the "loose/peeled away areas. Let it set up for about an hour and then install the new vent cap and you're done.

WARNINF: Don't push or pull the PVC pipe, if you pull it out of the holding tank or push it further into the holding tank you may cause a leak or create a venting problem. Just be careful with how you remove the old cap and don't let the PVC pipe move on you.
Looking at the photo, it sure looks like he broke more than just the cap. He may have to get a short piece of smaller pipe, glue it inside the existing 1 1/2" pipe and then glue a short piece of 1 1/2" pipe around it, and then install the vent cap to it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent