Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
Bird_Blaster

New Owner: Passport B GT 3401QD

Hi.

New forum member. Been looking at trailers for a year or so. I have been all over in what I was looking for. Started out buying a cleared lot on Lake Superior with a used trailer (2006 28BH style). It has worked so far this year but it is old and dated, had mice and soft floor in the main sleeping area. I initially thought it was in better shape and my girlfriend and I would get a cougar 22MLS for us and keep the 28BH for the 4 kids. That plan was foiled.

Bringing me up to current pace in which I just purchased the Passpoet GT 3401QD for all of us. Deck building starts next summer (30x16'), outdoor kitchen, wood fired sauna and keep the old trailer as a kids play area.

Super excited to be in the Keystone Lineup. I was very close to getting a Jayco Jayflight 331 until I saw the Passport GT 3401qd layout.

Let me know what sort of hints and tips anyone has for off grid camping in a permanent site.
Bird_Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 01:21 AM   #2
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Welcome to the forum...a lot of good info here. First thing I would be concerned about is mice...you can search threads here and find some more info. I purchased a kit called "mouse off/proof"...it came with two jugs of thick liquid and a sprayer, you'll need a compressor to spray the entire bottom of the trailer, acts as a rust inhibitor and lubricator as well. This has worked great but there are other solutions...of course first look for any places mice can get in and fill holes with steel wool or spray foam. I'm assuming by off grid you don't have water/hydro/sewer? Are you there only on weekends and holidays? Personally I'd look for nice spot in a trailer park with full hookups/amenities Don't want to burst your bubble but many of us are not that happy with our Keystone RV's...hopefully with all the complaints they've improved their building process and material choices over the last few years...somehow I doubt it so keep a sharp eye on everything especially signs of water infiltration. Good luck...I'm sure it's a beautiful spot way up there on Lake Superior.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:04 AM   #3
Bird_Blaster

Thanks for the reply!

Great info about the mouse off stuff. I will try that. Yes off grid for now. Hopefully bring in hydro from the road next year. M

Regarding quality I hope there are improvements with the build and water intrusion. Definitely a concern hearing that, hopefully mine is OK. I will regularly inspect roof and windows make sure all is OK up top.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:05 AM   #4
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

You're welcome...I hope they've changed the subfloor material that was in my 2018...once that got wet it was like a sponge soaking up the water then turning to mush...ridiculous not using a water resistant plywood. Water leaked in through the screw holes in the bottom part of the frame for the storage doors that go under the bed...water does collect on there and the three screws were crooked and not sealed...it ruined the floor. Just another stupid overlooked thing by Keystone and something for you to check. Imo you shouldn't see any screws in the bottom part of the frame.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
Max23

Depending on what year the new TT is, Keystone now uses what they call Hyperdeck for the floors. It is supposed to be water resistant.

https://www.keystonerv.com/innovations/hyperdeck

should be good there, all the holes for mice is another story.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I hope the new flooring is not just a bunch of hype Max I thought the Keystone name was a good one when I bought my first RV back in 2018...the brand did impress me with the quality finishes inside. As you use your RV you realize this thing was put together quickly with a lot of staples, silicon, and a poor choice of subfloor Luckily I had mine repaired under warranty but once that warranty is over it's your project/problem. One thing about us campers, we do like to try and fix/maintain things ourselves
Old 08-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
Max23

Oh yeah. They all (brands) have their share of issues. I do think the hyperdeck is a definite improvement over wood though. Not that it won't have it's own unique set of issues but if you look at how it's made, water "should" not be one of them.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:59 AM   #8
Bird_Blaster

Yes I agree with the above that every brand has their own issues. Hopefully the water intrusion isn't a problem for me. I plan on inspecting the roof every 3-4mos.

I ordered the mouse free.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #9
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes good point...I have nothing to compare with really...I've had one RV for 5 years and thought I picked a better brand....maybe I'm right? I should do a little homework and check complaints regarding other RV makers...maybe goggle best made RV and see where Keystone comes in...pretty sure they're not #1 considering all the issues I've had...or is that just an RV thing...construction methods and materials used shouldn't be that hard to perfect after all these years Imo...it's kinda like the faster and cheaper we can make these things the more money we'll make...it's only glampers.

Tags
passport