Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
packrat1969

Add A 2" Receiver Hitch To A Passport 2521RL

Has anyone added a frame-mounted receiver hitch to their Passport? If so, which one, and what kind ordeal was it? If you wanted to, but couldn't, then why? I don't intend to put a lot of weight on the back, but I'd like to have the option of using a cargo tray or bike rack.

packrat
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
KSH

I found a local trailer shop and had them fabricate it and weld it in. Cost a few hundred I believe.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suspect that most receivers are a "custom fabrication".

Curt Hitch has two models available that are "bolt on" hitch assemblies. BOTH of them are available at outlet sources like Amazon or EBay for less than the MSRP.

If you elect to install one of either type, be sure that you don't exceed the actual trailer frame weight restrictions. The "rules of physics" apply to weight capacity (only as strong as the weakest link). You can install a hitch rated at 15,000 pounds on a YUGO, but that doesn't mean the car is capable of supporting or moving that much weight. It's the same with trailers. An "Ultra-Lite" component frame (such as used on the Passport line) are not "substantial frames" with conventional I beam or C channel frame rails. They are similar to the "uni-body automobile" concept and many will not support substantial weight at a distance beyond the axles (the axis point on the frame).

It's best to talk to someone who has experience with installing hitches on your type travel trailer frame. This isn't a "Saturday afternoon with a good buddy and a case of beer" type of modification.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #4
JackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat1969 View Post
Has anyone added a frame-mounted receiver hitch to their Passport? If so, which one, and what kind ordeal was it? If you wanted to, but couldn't, then why? I don't intend to put a lot of weight on the back, but I'd like to have the option of using a cargo tray or bike rack.

packrat
Hey Packrat, did you ever go this route? I just picked up a 2016 Passport Ultra Lite and I'm looking at going the same direction. I saw the two "Curt" weld / bolt-in frame mounted 2" receivers at e-trailer.com. Seem like a good way to go.

Note: I'm not actually looking to tow anything, just want a (much) sturdier option to carry two e-bikes.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:19 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

The lightweight frames are not really designed to carry any weight off the back. There is a good deal of flex in the frame so whatever you have hanging off the back is going to bounce and before long cause some serious damage to the frame and/or loss of your cargo. I don’t even like having my tire mounted back there.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:31 AM   #6
JackD

Rob - do you mean the back 'bumper'? In which case I agree. It's hardly strong enough to even carry the spare. I see people mounting bike racks and other bolt-on hitches and they (IMO) are crazy. I'm trying to avoid that approach.

I'm talking about welding a hitch between the two 6" steel I-BEAMs that run the length of the trailer. They are designed to hold the weight of your entire trailer and everything you put inside of it
Old 03-18-2023, 09:37 AM   #7
JBM3M

I would (especially) not weld a 2" receiver nor any other hitch to the frame on these.

First welding can weaken and undo induction hardening of the frames.

Second, those frames are not strong enough to take the torsional issues with hitches.

I would love to have a hitch on mine, but the frame just isn't up to it.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:48 AM   #8
JackD

I will respectfully disagree. Your entire trailer is pulled by the A-Frame on the front by the which is welded to these two same steel I-beams.

In fact, my RV dealer recommended this as approach to take. I'm just trying to avoid the dealership charge for it.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:58 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

I don’t have a rear bumper. The frame rails are not very stout and I personally wouldn’t trust them enough to weld or modify in any way. If it were anything but an ultralight trailer, maybe. If it was a factory installed hitch that was designed and engineered by the frame manufacturer to be there, still only a maybe. But I have followed enough people with stuff bouncing around back there (and sometimes falling off) that I don’t don’t think it’s a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1E4742A-EAEF-4817-9979-2E5B34391787.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	43286  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, passport